BDP-2 -> BDP- Upgrade

Pundamilia

BDP-2 -> BDP- Upgrade
« on: 16 Nov 2019, 02:24 am »
I currently have a BDP-2 and I just love it. :D. However, it tends to run warm, despite a couple of inches of clear space above the unit.  :(   I suspect that I may be pushing the processor accounting for the excess heat. I'm wondering if a more powerful processor (BDP-3) will run cooler as it is not working as hard. Has anybody who has upgraded from a BDP-2 to a BDP-3 noticed any change in the running temperature of the unit.

Also, is the cost of an upgrade still $1,500 Can?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 -> BDP- Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2019, 01:43 pm »
I currently have a BDP-2 and I just love it. :D. However, it tends to run warm, despite a couple of inches of clear space above the unit.  :(   I suspect that I may be pushing the processor accounting for the excess heat. I'm wondering if a more powerful processor (BDP-3) will run cooler as it is not working as hard. Has anybody who has upgraded from a BDP-2 to a BDP-3 noticed any change in the running temperature of the unit.

Hi

I know the 3 runs much cooler but I will ask Mike about the upgrade cost.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2019, 02:00 pm »

Hi!

BDP-3 runs coolder because it's CPU is of a newer generation. The transistors on the nano-scale are smaller so it is faster as well as cooler. Still, I wouldn't buy a BDP-3 just because of these because in practice, both are equally fast. The CPU is not what produces the heat. It is the shunt-regulators coupled to the bottom of the machine. This is where the BDP-2 gets the hottest. I like mine as well.

Mesanjah05

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2019, 04:16 pm »
Pudmilla's question about generated heat raises another question for me, namely should the BDP be stacked below say the BDA? I ask because I have my BDA1 beneath my BDP2.  Will the heat eventually adversely affect the BDA?

bobf

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2019, 05:45 pm »
My BDP3 generates a fair bit of heat. Adequate space above and below helps.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2019, 06:12 pm »
my -2 sits atop my BCD-1. I only use one at any time. No issues ever.

bobf

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2019, 12:42 am »
My BDP3 generates a fair bit of heat. Adequate space above and below helps.

Krutsch

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2019, 06:23 pm »
My BDP-1 generates ZERO heat, regardless of what it's doing  :popcorn:

Pundamilia

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2019, 08:52 pm »
It is interesting that the amount of heat runs the gamut from "ZERO heat" to quite warm. Leaving aside, the issue of how much clearance there is around the unit, could the difference be attributable to the size of the library (Bryston db) and the number of USB or SATA devices connected to it?

Mike Pickett

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2019, 07:47 pm »

The BDP2 to BDP3 upgrade is indeed $1500.00 for units already equipped with the Bryston IAD sound card.  For BDP2's with the earlier Juli@ sound card, add $500.00, as the new sound card is required for the BDP3.

Thanks,

Mike

R. Daneel

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2019, 12:35 pm »
The heat produced is dependent on the BDP model and room temperature. Heat transfer from the chassis into it's surroundings is significantly impacted by the difference in temperature between the two. The size of the library has nothing to do with it.

My BDP-1 produced no heat whatsoever. BDP-2 gets very hot during summer. Stacking components together isn't a particularly good idea, in all respects, not just because of heat.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2019, 10:16 pm »
My BDP-1 produced no heat whatsoever. BDP-2 gets very hot during summer.

Looking at photos of the internals, I think comparing BDP-1 with -2 is like grapes vs oranges. Or a 737 vs. a 747. BIGGER transformer in the -2, faster processor too.
More heat. Good for Canadian winters.   :lol:

cheers

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2019, 10:18 pm »
Courtesy of DarqueKnight:

BDP-2 (left), BDP-1 (right).

R. Daneel

« Reply #13 on: 22 Nov 2019, 08:01 pm »
Looking at photos of the internals, I think comparing BDP-1 with -2 is like grapes vs oranges. Or a 737 vs. a 747. BIGGER transformer in the -2, faster processor too.
More heat. Good for Canadian winters.   :lol:

cheers

Yes, and very bad for Croatian summers!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2019, 08:39 pm »
Yes, and very bad for Croatian summers!
The sea breezes should be fine.

ServerAdmin

« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2019, 05:09 am »
It is interesting that the amount of heat runs the gamut from "ZERO heat" to quite warm. Leaving aside, the issue of how much clearance there is around the unit, could the difference be attributable to the size of the library (Bryston db) and the number of USB or SATA devices connected to it?

Hi, you or someone associated with your email delivery system has apparently marked notification email from the AC server for responses to this thread as spam.
  • If that was you, please don't, as it can potentially prevent other people from receiving email notifications. If you do not wish to receive email notifications, simply turn them off in your Profile.
  • If you are the person who filed the spam report, please contact your ISP to remove it.
  • Regardless, please whitelist audiocircle.com for incoming email. All legitimate email from audiocircle.com includes the proper SPF and DKIM headers for spam filters to check.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2019, 08:44 am by ServerAdmin »

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #16 on: 1 Dec 2019, 07:10 pm »
Can someone explain the differences between a BDP-3 and a BDP-2 that is upgraded to a BDP-3 (if any)?

Courtesy of DarqueKnight:

BDP-2 (left), BDP-1 (right).

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 2 Dec 2019, 02:14 pm »
Can someone explain the differences between a BDP-3 and a BDP-2 that is upgraded to a BDP-3 (if any)?

Nothing that really effects the audio quality, you'll still have a BDP-2 power supply board, but the new board was really only change to meet new safety standards.  The circuit boards across the front are of a new revision, but only because we changed how the boards are ordered to help simply things for production.  Instead of have a PCB sheet that contained one or two of each circuit board to be broken out, we placed only one kind of each circuit board on each PCB sheet.  Otherwise what you get in the upgrade is what you get in a brand new BDP-3.

Chris

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #18 on: 3 Dec 2019, 07:21 am »
Thanks Chris!!! I was trying to decide between having you (bryston) upgrade vs selling the old and buying a BDP-3. That exactly answers what I needed to know! :)

vonnie123

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jul 2020, 08:13 am »
Nothing that really effects the audio quality, you'll still have a BDP-2 power supply board, but the new board was really only change to meet new safety standards.  The circuit boards across the front are of a new revision, but only because we changed how the boards are ordered to help simply things for production.  Instead of have a PCB sheet that contained one or two of each circuit board to be broken out, we placed only one kind of each circuit board on each PCB sheet.  Otherwise what you get in the upgrade is what you get in a brand new BDP-3.

Chris

Hi Chris, what is the approx time upgrading a mid 2015 BDP-2 (IAD) to a BDP-3?  I now own two BDP-2s and am thinking of making one of them a BDP-3.  The BDP-2s are an enormous upgrade to my BDP-1s.  Also, does any type of warranty come with the BDP-3 upgrade?  Thank you.   
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2020, 01:12 am by vonnie123 »