is 2ch audio dying?

Kinger

Re: is 2ch audio dying?
« Reply #60 on: 24 May 2012, 10:40 pm »

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #61 on: 24 May 2012, 10:45 pm »
Both phonostage and remote are options with the T8.

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=188

Ahh, thanks.  It is not shown on the product page - the phono stage is but not the remote option. 
http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=206

Unfortunately, that's a $300 option!  $200 for phono.  Makes the total $1800.  Still worth considering, but getting expensive.

.........Peter

I should probably start a new thread.  Even though it is promoting 2 channel - a bit off topic.  :oops:

mjosef

« Reply #62 on: 25 May 2012, 02:34 am »
Don't think so...but I know I am, a slow drawn out crawl to the grave...one cell at a time....

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #63 on: 25 May 2012, 04:47 am »
... a slow drawn out crawl to the grave...one cell at a time....

I refuse to let cells go slowly. The cells either fly over the edge screaming, or they can get the hell out of here right quick!!!  :icon_twisted:   :lol:

More on topic; Two channel audio will die on the same day rock and roll dies.

squirrel_nut

« Reply #64 on: 25 May 2012, 05:20 am »
I highly recommend keeping the amplifier solid state and using the tubes elsewhere, such as in the preamp or DAC.  In my opinion bass response suffers when tubes are in the actual amplifier; control gets sloppy and it's noticeable with music.

some great advice there.  let tubes take care of the little signals.    in my current setup, i would only consider replacing the parasound amp.  the EAD pre, to me,  is a great sounding piece of equipment.  even with its age, i prefer the EAD's built in DAC over the Sabre DACs in my Oppo 83SE.  the EAD DAC "only" does 24/96. its not as resolving of details as the Oppo but sounds sweeter and captures timbres that are more real to my ears.  i havnt really thought about matching the EAD with a tube amp, probably because of the general tendency Nuance stated.  a tube integrated would be my best option for 2ch. leave my 3ch setup for movies and SACD.

squirrel_nut

« Reply #65 on: 25 May 2012, 05:40 am »

I do have a question, I see a lot of people talking about modern CDs being "bad recordings" what does that mean exactly? How do you know its bad?

Frank

poorly mixed or recorded CDs has become a huge issue for me.  i had a nice Denon surround amp.  most CDs sounded ok through it. i guess it just smoothed everything out and wasnt very resolving.  when i changed to EAD/parasound, i found over half my CDs were barely listenable. people describe it as "fatigue" from the sound, and thats exactly what happened to me. those overly compressed disks just grate at you. some of the worst even have fairly high levels of back ground hiss, like listening to a dirty record. the difference can be blatantly obvious with some compilation CDs. some good recording scattered amongst the bad. i am trying to listen to more jazz, small ensemble and classical music because i find much of this has been recorded by an engineer who gave a s###.  the punk, ska and classic rock i prefer just isnt enjoyable on good equipment  :evil: 

Paul K.

« Reply #66 on: 25 May 2012, 02:29 pm »
For the most part if you don't listen to popular music, you won't have to put up with poorly-recorded CDs.  I listen almost solely to "classical" music, with a smattering of jazz.  I don't have a large collection, maybe 300 discs, and I can count on one hand those that don't have a good to excellent recording quality.  If the recording quality is good, I can tolerate a not so great performance, but not vice versa.
Paul

poorly mixed or recorded CDs has become a huge issue for me.  i had a nice Denon surround amp.  most CDs sounded ok through it. i guess it just smoothed everything out and wasnt very resolving.  when i changed to EAD/parasound, i found over half my CDs were barely listenable. people describe it as "fatigue" from the sound, and thats exactly what happened to me. those overly compressed disks just grate at you. some of the worst even have fairly high levels of back ground hiss, like listening to a dirty record. the difference can be blatantly obvious with some compilation CDs. some good recording scattered amongst the bad. i am trying to listen to more jazz, small ensemble and classical music because i find much of this has been recorded by an engineer who gave a s###.  the punk, ska and classic rock i prefer just isnt enjoyable on good equipment  :evil:

kingdeezie

« Reply #67 on: 25 May 2012, 03:34 pm »

I have to disagree with you slightly. I have what I would consider pretty good equipment, and I listen to a wide variety of music. It all sounds enjoyable, just to different extents.

I think some Hifi companies have a tendency to tip their equipment up in order to accentuate the high frequencies. On well recorded albums if gives the sensation of more air and more transparency. I went through this.

"Air" does not exist in real life. If you voice your system to try and remain as close in tonality and timbre as real life, you'll find most recordings are actually listenable. Obviously better recorded material will sound better then material that is not so well recorded. 

When you have eclectic choices in music, this becomes a must.

Not to say that modern recordings are not bad, but you can play them on a well matched Hifi rig without running screaming from the room, or feeling any discomfort.

I came to the conclusion that the music should be the more important thing, and it took me a while to find even the remotely right recipe. Getting there slowly. 

squirrel_nut

« Reply #68 on: 25 May 2012, 08:41 pm »
I have to disagree with you slightly. I have what I would consider pretty good equipment, and I listen to a wide variety of music. It all sounds enjoyable, just to different extents.

well, i just finished an accoustical treatment to the back wall in our listening room. i am waiting for my speakers from jim to do the front wall.  it has helped a great deal with the edginess that was so annoying.  before, about one hour of listening was all i could stand - one poorly recorded CD all the way through.  my current speakers are quite old and are anything but airy or bright. maybe the EAD/parasound are tilted that direction. good material i can literly listen to for hours, and do. i am sure there is a human factor here as well, not just the recording, equipment and accoustics. my 50yo ears have been to way too many loud concerts.
i am starting from scratch when the STs arrive. the accoustics will be covered, and i will just groom everything around the speakers. hopefully my current equipment will be satisfying. if not, its off to tube land!   my wife likes the way they glow  :)

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #69 on: 25 May 2012, 10:04 pm »
"my wife likes the way they glow....."

UltraValve....glows really nice.....oh, and sounds really nice especially with SongTowers!

:D :D :D

Alex

wyowolf

« Reply #70 on: 25 May 2012, 10:21 pm »
For the most part if you don't listen to popular music, you won't have to put up with poorly-recorded CDs.  I listen almost solely to "classical" music, with a smattering of jazz.  I don't have a large collection, maybe 300 discs, and I can count on one hand those that don't have a good to excellent recording quality.  If the recording quality is good, I can tolerate a not so great performance, but not vice versa.
Paul

Well I have probably 300 cds, and probably several I have ripped to FLAC on my network. Mostly probably not pop...
Mark Knopfler, John Hiatt, Bap Kennedy, Merle Haggard the jazzier stuff, Norah Jones - wife HATES her!, Dire Straits, Van Morrison, ray Charles...

well i guess it probaby IS pop after all :)..

I have an Audiophile ref disc... that has some of the most BORING music ever recorded..I have never made it through the whole disc... or many tracks for that matter...

I looked through the ref list posted above... I have a few of those I will check out...

thanks again...

kingdeezie

« Reply #71 on: 26 May 2012, 12:30 am »
well, i just finished an accoustical treatment to the back wall in our listening room. i am waiting for my speakers from jim to do the front wall.  it has helped a great deal with the edginess that was so annoying.  before, about one hour of listening was all i could stand - one poorly recorded CD all the way through.  my current speakers are quite old and are anything but airy or bright. maybe the EAD/parasound are tilted that direction. good material i can literly listen to for hours, and do. i am sure there is a human factor here as well, not just the recording, equipment and accoustics. my 50yo ears have been to way too many loud concerts.
i am starting from scratch when the STs arrive. the accoustics will be covered, and i will just groom everything around the speakers. hopefully my current equipment will be satisfying. if not, its off to tube land!   my wife likes the way they glow  :)

Sweet! Acoustic treatments make a huge difference.

Power conditioning and equipment isolation, which both can be done for reasonable amounts of money, will also cure a lot of the edginess and grunge that often butcher the highs, smear the midrange, and muffle the bass.

Good luck! I've never heard the Salks, but people rave about them for a reason.