Ulysses Tweeter question

Pez

Ulysses Tweeter question
« on: 17 Sep 2009, 10:14 pm »
Just curious as to why the tweeters on the Ulysses are offest from center? Is there some sort of sonic benefit? I checked the website, but didn't see any explaination. If answering this gives away a some major trade secret that took 20 years and the lives of multiple engineers to develop I understand if you refrain.  :lol:

Thanks!
Pez

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
Re: Ulysses Tweeter question
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2009, 12:50 am »
Just curious as to why the tweeters on the Ulysses are offest from center? Is there some sort of sonic benefit? I checked the website, but didn't see any explaination. If answering this gives away a some major trade secret that took 20 years and the lives of multiple engineers to develop I understand if you refrain.  :lol:

Thanks!
Pez
sure I'll tell you but... I'd have to kill you afterwards. :wink:

It did take a lot of work but that is the optimum configuration so that there are no phase anomalies or cancelations.  I know on one level it doesn't make sense, but it really does make a difference. In this orientation they are perceived as one tweeter, actually I think they image a little better than one plus there is the higher sensitivity and headroom so they are never being pushed. I think this is an area many speakers don't pay enough attention to by running tweeters near their low end and at high output, to me this can make for fatigue...  just my thoughts, eh?
thanks,
Lou

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2009, 04:35 pm »
Interesting! I can't wait to hear them at RMAF!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2009, 05:31 pm »
Interesting! I can't wait to hear them at RMAF!

I look forward to meeting you and the rest of the AC people. Please introduce yourself and let me know your AC name.  I know some of the guys but just by their face or their real name but not what the AC moniker is.  gets confusing, eh?

thanks,
Lou

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2009, 05:53 pm »
I'll be hearing the DA1's (might be 1.1's, dunno) belonging to John Zarafonetis at part II of an analog meet next weekend.  Attendee's will bring albums that will be spinning on a Linn front end with a Benz MC and amplified with some Manley and VTL amps.  I'm gonna mess em up with what I bring to include a Little Richard DTD and some Manitas de Plata and a Blumien miked Bis recording of some little known chamber music.  Oh goody!   

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2009, 07:37 pm »
I'll be hearing the DA1's (might be 1.1's, dunno) belonging to John Zarafonetis at part II of an analog meet next weekend.  Attendee's will bring albums that will be spinning on a Linn front end with a Benz MC and amplified with some Manley and VTL amps.  I'm gonna mess em up with what I bring to include a Little Richard DTD and some Manitas de Plata and a Blumien miked Bis recording of some little known chamber music.  Oh goody!   
Jim, those are a pair of DA-1's which John bought from a customer who had upgraded to the Ulysses. the DA-1's are good speakers, I am pleased that they have stood the test of time and continue to be regarded as a musical, engaging speaker.  please bear in mind they were the beginning point for the Daedalus Audio line and the DA-1.1, DA-RMa & Ulysses have taken what they do much further, (and are more expensive).  Will you be at the RMAF show in Denver?
thanks,
Lou

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2009, 09:11 pm »
Were I going I would definitely stop by to say hello and listen,  Alas, I am not.  Thanks for asking.