Nother nube here..

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Nother nube here..
« Reply #20 on: 18 Feb 2021, 01:07 am »

Camtjfreak

« Reply #21 on: 18 Feb 2021, 01:16 am »
Thank ya sir! They’re gettin there.. wonder how the birch wood will sound?

mflaming

« Reply #22 on: 18 Feb 2021, 03:09 pm »

This is what a 1/2" round over will look with regard to woofer edge distance.

And, shoutout to UGGs - best slippers ever.

Mrjdo

« Reply #23 on: 18 Feb 2021, 05:43 pm »
  I love the look of exposed plywood edges .

JWCoffman

« Reply #24 on: 18 Feb 2021, 06:51 pm »
More sanding, painting the front with another coat and some sort of satin semi gloss finish.  I’d like to keep the color of the wood and not darken it (like to keep it light in color) with the semi gloss... any recommendations welcome there too..
I recently finished an all Birch kitchen bar with satin clear lacquer and it turned out great (the bar top was done in a food safe waterlox).  It has a quick drying time which minimizes dust and bug accumulation, lays down nice, and can be done in semigloss.  It did add a slight yellow tint to the birch which may not be what you are after, but that may have been specific to the product I was using.  The stuff is toxic as hell as it is contains MEK as the solvent, so take appropriate precautions if you use it.
Otherwise I believe a clear polyurethane would keep the color closer to raw.  I'm sure those with more finishing experience would be able to chime in on that.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #25 on: 20 Feb 2021, 10:03 pm »
Um... no Ugg’s fer me! Haha. I’m dying over here waiting on this kit too! (I’m impatient like everyone else). Picked up some polyurethane from the depot, it’s varathane ultimate poly semi gloss.. anyone have experience with this stuff? Figured I’d try a small spot on the bottom of the cabinet.. go from there..

Camtjfreak

« Reply #26 on: 5 Mar 2021, 12:40 am »

Just got my kit today and I’m excited to start working on these again..
I’ve got more paint coming and a few more ideas.. exposed edges or no? What say u...

Camtjfreak

« Reply #27 on: 7 Mar 2021, 05:45 pm »

What’s the purpose of the black paint on the back of my drivers?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 7 Mar 2021, 05:54 pm »
The back surface of the drivers tends to oxidize, and it causes a white crytaline powder to form on the surface. Painting them helps to hide that. It doesnt affect their performance however.

Its less important for drivers that are hidden inside of a cabinet, but it can be a sore sight for exposed drivers, like those on the Mids of the X-Statik.

The paint looks like Duratex, and it looks like it cracked as it dried, i think the same happened to me when I coated the ones on my XLS in duratex as well, it ideally needs to be primed before the duratex is applied. To ensure better adhesion to the driver.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #29 on: 7 Mar 2021, 06:05 pm »
Ok, good to know! So I can touch them up with some black paint I have or just leave them alone?..  appreciate the quick response thanks!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #30 on: 7 Mar 2021, 06:09 pm »
My original X-Statiks came with covers.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #31 on: 7 Mar 2021, 06:10 pm »
Covers look way better!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 7 Mar 2021, 06:19 pm »
If they're going into a cabinet, you can leave them as-is.
But if you're inclined, it wont hurt to give them a coat of black paint. :thumb:

My original X-Statiks came with covers.

I wish I could have harvested the midwoofers from the cabinet I had to give up. So I'll be painting one pair, and then splitting up the covered pair I do between them. :P

Camtjfreak

« Reply #33 on: 7 Mar 2021, 06:26 pm »
Knowing what’s inside these boxes and my slight ocd..... yeah I’ll probably painting them haha.. although I know it’s not needed.. that’s what’s nice about building your own, it can be as nice as u want to make it..

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #34 on: 8 Mar 2021, 01:31 pm »
Baltic Birch wood is awesome! Good choice! Solid wood! Used this a ton back in my days of building nicer cab boxes! Even sub boxes for cars. Good solid wood. I like it more then MDF! That’s for sure!

Awesome job man! Keep up the great work!

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 8 Mar 2021, 02:07 pm »

What’s the purpose of the black paint on the back of my drivers?

We had a few boxes of them that the Nickle plating on the back plate was flaking off. So we Duratexed them to seal them and protect them from the elements.

It doesn't look like the Durtex faired real well on that pair. They could use another coat.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #36 on: 8 Mar 2021, 06:41 pm »
Thanks Shives, Appreciate the nice comments! 

Danny, I’ll def hit them one more time thanks..

Camtjfreak

« Reply #37 on: 17 Mar 2021, 10:43 pm »
Thinking of getting the Carnegie center channel and the surrounds/ rear speakers ... to that note what av receivers is everyone recommending these days? I have the Sony str dg 1000 now and it’s been a good receiver but it is like 10 years old. Just looking for opinions thanks!.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #38 on: 17 Mar 2021, 10:58 pm »
Center channel will be next to the wall and the two sounds will be wall mounted too..  so I may need to rethink the surrounds as I believe the Carnegie rears need to be three feet... Hmmm..

Camtjfreak

« Reply #39 on: 22 Mar 2021, 09:34 pm »
Just ordered up the Yamaha rx-v6a.