Great sound at RMAF

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Great sound at RMAF
« on: 12 Oct 2004, 02:34 am »
Had a chance to spend some time with Klaus on Sunday in both of his rooms.  Both rooms were musical and enjoyable.  Klaus is also the master host.  He plays your music + his music in an effort to show the systems strengths while not trying to hide anything from the listener.  

The $1500 room is just scary good for the money.  I heard the $100k + Dali room right before going into this room and the difference while noticeable, was much closer than I ever would have imagined.  

Actually, let me say it slightly differently...this room was one of the more musical and enjoyable rooms period!  The amount of low end was quite impressive for such little speakers.  There was good detail and they threw a large soundstage.  

Want the ultimate in dynamics and detail?  Well look elsewhere.  Want a system that you just turn on and listen for hours at a time?  This does it at a very real world budget.  Highly recommended.   :thumb:  :thumb:

The $4500 system is flavored in the same way, just better in all ways (especially dynamics, transient attack, and overall size and presence).  This system reminded me a lot of my previous setup (Silverline Sonata II/Kora Cosmos References/LinnLP12) at a 1/4 of the price.

We listened to SRV - Couldn't Stand the Weather, Henri Mancini - Pink Panther, ELP - Trilogy, plus others on vinyl and Natlie Merchant .  What really jumped out at me wasn't any on particular thing - other than my pure enjoyment of the music.  

Great job Klaus.

George

Brian

Re: Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2004, 07:03 am »
Hi George

Nice to hear from the RMAF. I just have to questions for you:

1. How did the SL CDP and Turntable sound?
2. Did you get a chance to hear the digital amp?

Brian

F-100

Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2004, 03:32 pm »
George,
  Did you take any pics of the Odyssey room? If so, can you please post it.

Thanks

F-100

Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2004, 03:33 pm »
Double post ... (Deleted)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2004, 04:12 pm »
The Odyssey room had great sound, I found only one room more musically engaging, and that room had literally 10 times more expensive equipment.  The Odyssey room gets my vote for by-far best value at the show.

See comments here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=13710&highlight=

F-100

Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2004, 04:16 pm »
Tyson,
  Thanks for the link.

BradJudy

Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2004, 04:39 pm »
After hearing all of the great comments, I'm kicking myself for not making it up there in time to hear the rooms.  I would have liked to have heard the $1500 system.  

Out of curiosity, what source was on the $1500 setup?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2004, 05:06 pm »
Quote from: F-100
George,
  Did you take any pics of the Odyssey room? If so, can you please post it.

Thanks

I posted ALL my pics already here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?set_albumName=Zybar-s-Dedicated-Music-and-HT-Room-Living-Room&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=5

Here are the Odyssey rooms:

George

F-100

Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2004, 05:11 pm »
Thanks George... Very nice pics.

donovansmith

• http://www.donovansmithaudio.com
Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2004, 05:19 pm »
I generally was looking for headphone equipment while at RMAF, but happened to stop in Odyssey's $1500 system room and was glad I did. I really didn't know you could get such good sound from speakers for such a low cost. The soundstage was just plain unbelievable and so was the bass, I kept looking for the hidden sub. Seeing the plants move with every drum hit convinced me that those small speakers really were producing all that sound. Although I didn't ask for any of my CDs to be played, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to whatever was played. If/when I decide speakers are practical and when I have the money, that system is definately at the top of my list. Another pic of the $1500 room:

And here's the full-size version of that pic.

DeadFish

Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2004, 06:18 am »
I hadn't gotten a chance to chime in as well that you did some great pics, George, and are right on the money about the two rooms!
The Lorellei's brought back the better memories of my biamped Vandersteens I enjoyed for years, seeming familiar with few of the shortcomings.  (like being crammed into a 13' square room!)
I really liked listeing to that system.  
Thought I was doomed! (or that I had to take them home!)
And the less-expensive setup was equally enguaging.
I'm kind of rough in my assessments of details, but there are a few guides that you, Tyson and Donovan reflect.  
Does it make me smile?
Do my toes 'tap' without thinking on it?
Ayup, very listenable stuff.

In fact, I've been playing those same Epiphonies since yesterday afternoon in front of my Bryston B-60.  :D
They have been playing everything I have quite well, and I am still jazzed about their sound!
So far, I have made 'true believers' out of a friend and Mrs. DeadFish as well, in this short time.  
I don't remember if Klaus told me their total play history to know how far they are in their break-in period, but if they get better, I'm going to have to put plastic on the couch, I think. :wink:

Ayup.  Had to have 'em.
Ain't sorry.

Regards,
DeadFish

Scott F.

Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:55 pm »
Quote from: DeadFish
In fact, I've been playing those same Epiphonies since yesterday afternoon in front of my Bryston B-60.  
They have been playing everything I have quite well, and I am still jazzed about their sound!
So far, I have made 'true believers' out of a friend and Mrs. DeadFish as well, in this short time.
I don't remember if Klaus told me their total play history to know how far they are in their break-in period, but if they get better, I'm going to have to put plastic on the couch, I think.  

Ayup. Had to have 'em.
Ain't sorry...

Dude!
You came home with the Epiphony's?! Excellent!

Glad to see that everybody hears them the same way I did. Now you understand why I went ga-ga after living with them for a while and had to buy 'em. They really do make music like few other speakers. If you use an active crossover and roll a 12" sub (or two) underneath them at about 100Hz, The Epiphony's take you to whole 'nuther plane of existance.
Absolute magic.

DeadFish

Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2004, 04:09 pm »
Yeah, Scott, it was your fault too!
You might remember that after hearing yours at the 'shoot-out', I wanted to hear 'em again with my B-60, but never got a round tuit.
Then that darned 'Devil' threw those awful Altecs in my way and I got diverted from that calling.  :D
Oh, I'm not getting rid of the Altecs (yet), just politicking for a bigger room!  You know my room though, and the Epiphony speakers just fill it up right nice.  
And the Mrs. sez I can stash the Epiphony system in the bedroom if I *have* to to listen to the tube gear.  :wink:
I told her I had gotten an Epiphony in Denver on the phone, but she sez I have them all over the place.
Then I told her I wanted to buy the Loreleis, but they wouldn't fit in the car and I would have to 'settle', and she laughed...
Now she wants to know where to go to find Klaus and shake his hand. :inlove:  
They are the speakers *she* has been waiting for.

So far, I am really surprised at how they do so well with my catalogue of music. One of the things that I don't push at all with our get togethers is my interest in music by the Grateful Dead.  I know not everybody likes 'em and they certainly are an eclectic taste.  I've found that there are not always a lot of systems capable or perhaps sympathetic to their music.  
Even the Dead voice well now.  Man, is that a selling point for me or what!?! :D

Scott F.

Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2004, 05:51 pm »
...not getting rid of the Altecs yet......

That means door has been cracked. Even though it's not fully open yet, when it is you'll see me standing on the other side.

Hate to do this to you but you might consider a nice PP EL34 amp for Epiphony's. They absolutely 'come alive' with tubes.

DeadFish

Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #14 on: 15 Oct 2004, 04:27 am »
The Epiphony's don't sound bad with either my Bryston B-60 :!:
or the ol' Dynaco SCA-35.  I just drug it out and got it warming up, but at first listen, real adequate.
And that ain't a bad thing!
Both amps, strangely enough, sound real good with the volume about 12 oclock.  
Considering how well the Dynaco sounded in front of Maggie 3.6's, it does real good here as well.

I'm a happy camper, and if you step one foot thru that crack in the door, remember I have this golf club right inside here.... :wink:

I just owe Klaus one big, up-front thank-you on these speakers. :notworthy:
Nice piece of work, and I only wonder how much the Nightingales would have sounded in here.   :mrgreen:

klaus@odyssey

Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2004, 06:27 am »
Thanks guys,  and you're very welcome DF.  Say hi to your wifey,  and glad she didn't kill you,   :lol:

Anyway,  yep,  I am very,  very proud when I show the different systems.  As for the 1,5 K system,  I don't really think that you can do any better,  period.  then again,  fuzzy math,  because this system also includes a 4 k amp !!  ????   It's supposed to be a brutal reality check  and showcase as to what is possible.

Actually,  we now,  after all this time have reliable speaker and etesian production (to be able to get the system out for the $  is not as easy as some might think,  and it has to make sense for me too.  After all,  this is our livelihood)  the system is and will be out for 4 different reviews shortly,  and yep,  there will be a feedback that's absolutely nuts.  As a matter of fact,  I'm planning to get 2 different systems out to AC'rs as a travelling show as well.   feedback please !!!

As for the 4,5 k system,  it's not even close to what we can actually do.  Keep in mind that it's not the extreme models or even the mono amps.  The reason why I've had the system is because to get it  somewhat close to the 1,5 K system,  and 3 x the $  seemed to be in line.

If you look at it realistically,  the amp / pre / speakers / and  GRbg wiring of the system as SL is actually close to $ 17,000  !!!!!!!!!!!!!  So,  for that $  it should kick ass,  nevermind that it's only  $ 4,5 K that we're asking for it.  BUT,  what you can't buy as  painfully obvious in the majority of the  high $$$$$$$  rooms is a sonic performance  that is musical and non-fatiguing.  Zybar and Tyson  finally got my point (right, Goerge,   :P ) and everything I do has everything to do with emotional performance and synergy.

Anyway,  it was great ,  not withstanding driving through Kansas twice,  aaaaaaaaaaargh,  and actually very,  very successful.  Thanks to all of you nut cases out there to have made this a fun weekend and who have been great to me and Travis as well.  

Late,

Klaus

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2004, 06:47 am »
Klaus:
As a matter of fact, I'm planning to get 2 different systems out to AC'rs as a travelling show as well. feedback please !!!

Good news....excellent !! Very late here :D

Brian

Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2004, 07:07 am »
Hi Klaus

First of all, congrat's on the many good reviews/reports from the RMAF. Sounds like you are going to be a busy man the next many months....

Looking forward to reading the coming reviews. I have seen that Enjoythemusic are going to review the "little" system. Could you please tell us where to find the other reviews?

Brian

mgalusha

Great sound at RMAF
« Reply #18 on: 15 Oct 2004, 07:13 pm »
A friend of mine bought the Lorelei's and a Stratos from Klaus at the show. I helped him set it Monday and they are sounding very nice in his family room, especially considering the Stratos is brand new. I had heard both setups in Lima last year and again last weekend. I really like the Lorelei's, very nice.

Klaus - it was good to spend time with you again.

mike