Vapor Aurora prototype

EdRo

Vapor Aurora prototype
« on: 11 Jun 2013, 01:11 pm »
I didn't want to hi-jack Harley52s thread, and someone was asking for more pics. My photographer just sent these to me. Here are his "Glamour Shots" of my Vapor Aurora prototype. What do you guys think?  :thumb:

WireNut

Re: Vapor Aurora prototype
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2013, 01:27 pm »

:o They look fantastic. Love to know how the cabinets are made and what type of wood/material/paint is used.

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2013, 01:32 pm »
I think there is a build/design thread on PE.  Ed, has the mad skillz!  Those cabinets are sweet, my wood working skills barely allow me to make a box.  I love how the stand curve counters the back panel of the speakers curve, Vapor really has an eye for the aesthetics.   

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/archive/index.php?t-224110.html

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2013, 01:49 pm »
Your color choices turned out incredible.  When will you receive them?

EdRo

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2013, 02:48 pm »
These cabs are made using HDF layers pressed over an arch and then bonded together with West Systems marine grade epoxy. The panels formed in this way are under immense tension. Once the epoxy sets, panels strength is amazing. The panels are then cut to shape and epoxied together using forms to keep everything straight. No screws or fasteners of any type are used in this construction. After the cabs are together, Vapors proprietary acoustic layer is applied inside the cabs, and that is then coated with a constraining layer. Wrapping on the sides of these cabs with your knuckles is like tapping on a bowling ball! This is a prototype, because this set has its port on the bottom, which then calls for a unique stand. I've decided to make future iterations of this design with a front slot port, to visualy link the Aurora with its big brother, Nimbus. This set also has a Parts Express RS28 tweeter. Its a very good T, but we had to find a better one. Probably the biggest challenge of this speaker design has been to find a dome T that gives the listener the sense of "air" that a RAAL does. While not quite as revealing as the RAAL, the Transducer Labs ceramic dome in this wave guide loaded 2-way does an amazing job! I'm very proud of "my baby", the Aurora! I hope you guys like her, too!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2013, 03:23 pm »
I'm very proud of "my baby", the Aurora!

As you should be Ed!  I'm afraid however, now that you've discovered this internet thing, we won't get any work out of you  :lol:

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2013, 04:33 pm »
It is no secret around here that I fell in love with the Auroras when I heard them. Couldn't believe how well they filled the room I heard them in. Want a monitor with bass? This is a killer contender.

And what I heard didn't even have the newer ceramic tweeter, which the Vapor folks tell me is a nice upgrade.

WireNut

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2013, 06:13 pm »
These cabs are made using HDF layers pressed over an arch and then bonded together with West Systems marine grade epoxy.

I knew it  :bounce:
I first started using West system epoxy in 1988 when building Joseph D'Appolito's Swan 4 loudspeaker project from Speaker Builder magazine issue 4/88.
I've been raving about West Systems epoxy here on AC for the past year. It just doesn't get any better then West.
I still have that Speaker Builder magazine article to this day.
Awesome cabinets.  :thumb:

bummrush

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2013, 06:23 pm »
Beautiful . Would love to hook those up .

jhm731

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2013, 06:24 pm »
Beautiful speakers.

I think they'd look better on stands with a curve in the front like the Magico Minis:

EdRo

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2013, 07:29 pm »
If anyone would like a chance to listen to these and would happen to be in the Rochester Hills area, in Michigan, feel free to drop me a line. Send me a P.M., and we'll make it happen. 8)

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2013, 08:03 am »
I think there is a build/design thread on PE.  Ed, has the mad skillz!  Those cabinets are sweet, my wood working skills barely allow me to make a box.  I love how the stand curve counters the back panel of the speakers curve, Vapor really has an eye for the aesthetics.   

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/archive/index.php?t-224110.html

Here's the active thread with pictures . . .

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?224110-MiniByzy-%28Mini-Byzantium%29-Build-Thread