300T drives by 2010 !
« on: 2 Jan 2007, 06:36 pm »
300 terabyte drives within a few years.  I'm definitely only going to buy
what I absolutely need in the meantime.
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/02/seagate-the-answer-to-digital-distribution/

pjchappy

Re: 300T drives by 2010 !
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2007, 06:48 pm »
WOW!  I remember also reading about a new technology for processors that will greatly speed them up, too, in the next few years.  I THINK it was a form of laser technology, replacing the tiny wires. 

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2007, 08:00 pm »
What would you do with 300 terabytes?  I have 1.2 terabytes in my home computer, and I honestly have two 300 Gbyte drives I could toss.  (I had them for RAID 1, but then purchased external and internal 300 GB drives when I set up a new computer.)  If you're into saving DVDs, then you might need the space. 

JohninCR

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2007, 08:26 pm »
Movies, music and everything else.  I've been thinking about going to a T or 2, but
with obscenely large coming soon, I'll wait as long as possible to upgrade.  Plus if
300T drives are available, imagine how cheap 5T or 10T drives will be.  That's all I'd need.

Spidey9534

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2007, 08:41 pm »
What would you do with 300 terabytes?

Well....be careful with this question (based on current technology and perceived needs/limitations).  aa

Two other guys asked themselves the same sort question many years ago and we're still dealing with the fallout from the answer.

'Would we ever need more than 640K of base memory'. Bill Gates and Paul Allen when they were building the first version of MS DOS.

None of knows what exciting content might be available if things like huge cost effective storage capacity were a reality today. I can remember not so long ago when game makers were pining away for better graphics cards, etc. so that they could use more of the potential of the latest design engines they had to make killer games. These sort of interdependent cycles go on all the time in high tech where one development allows many other to leap frog forward past a previous limitation.

I never thought I'd EVER fill up a 60Gig HD a few years ago. That seems like a joke now.

I say bring it on and we'll figure out how to fill it up.

ZLS

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2007, 09:15 pm »
:scratch:  So this is my question, if we are going to possess virtually limitless storage space how will that affect music stored on a HD?  Will compression programs still be needed?  Will all music be ripped as WAV on previously unused HD space? 
    I am a novice to computers and would be very interested in any or all answers or comments.