Dell XPS not starting

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Dell XPS not starting
« Reply #20 on: 21 Feb 2023, 01:40 am »
You might need to replace the CMOS coin cell battery inside.
:thumb: Great suggestion (CR2032).
These batteries must have many years of valid date, I have used two Panasonic coins with just 1 year of validity and both lasted about 3 months only, I was told the best have valid date of 10 years at exiting factory.

JakeJ

« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2023, 01:44 am »
And the reality is that all support for Win 10 will end October 14, 2025 so it may be that it is not value wise to pursue this box as Win 11 will not support the older legacy hardware.  Manufacturers have drawn a line in the sand between Win 10 and Win 11.  (Pun intended)

soundofrockets

« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2023, 02:32 am »
So the best thing to do is to let go of this machine or replace the HDD and install newer version of windows?

soundofrockets

« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2023, 02:35 am »

Just as requested _ full right side of the screen - no option to scroll down.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 21 Feb 2023, 02:46 am »
So the best thing to do is to let go of this machine or replace the HDD and install newer version of windows?
No, this a valuable machine and can run many years yet and can serve you as offline storage of files backup etc. Replace the CMOS battery and power on the PC connected to internet, my W7 auto download a file that fixed the prob from Dell(or Microsoft) site at the second boot I had proceed after I put a new battery.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 21 Feb 2023, 03:14 am »

Just as requested _ full right side of the screen - no option to scroll down.
It is informing your HD was disabled for some reason (maybe CMOS battery senile) replace the battery and let see what happen.

soundofrockets

« Reply #26 on: 21 Feb 2023, 03:29 am »
Will try to open the case - what is the usual location of the battery.

WGH

« Reply #27 on: 21 Feb 2023, 03:35 am »

Let it go unless you like computer diagnostics. What would you use it for? It's too old for a reliable backup. It won't run Windows 11 because it doesn't have a TPM enabled processor and Windows 10 end-of-life is a short 32 months from now, Oct. 14, 2025, in which it will again become a boat anchor. Even if is used as a backup using the existing Windows 7 (assuming a new battery fixes it), it will still be connected to the router which is connected to the internet and will always be a security risk. No more security updates for Windows 7, that OS has been so picked over in the last 10 years that it might only last minutes before it is hacked. The free Windows 7 to Windows 10 update may still be available.

Have you ever taken a hard drive apart? Not to fix, just apart. They are very cool looking inside. Take the rest of it to a computer recycler, they will get it running with a used hard drive and donate it to a needy family.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 21 Feb 2023, 03:38 am »
In the main board near to the memory cards.

soundofrockets

« Reply #29 on: 21 Feb 2023, 05:33 am »
WGH - I think I will have to agree with you.  I was hoping to get it up and running for little kids - but guess it is lots of work for small return. 

Oh well - will look for something modest for the kids.

Thanks folks.

JakeJ

« Reply #30 on: 21 Feb 2023, 03:08 pm »
Wise decision, sir.

Don't know how much of a computer nerd you are but if interested in an inexpensive solution might be one of the mini PC's available online.

Here are a couple of suggestions.
This one is somewhat low end but I have no idea how much computing power you neesd for a kid's computer. Intel Celeron CPU.

This one is touted as a gaming PC with a an Intel i5 11320H CPU and higher level graphics chipset.

Always ready to help spend other people's money! LOL

Jake

JakeJ

« Reply #31 on: 21 Feb 2023, 03:12 pm »
Another solution might be a used computer store.  I live in a fairly rural area and our used computer/parts store went the way of the dodo when the pandemic hit.  Maybe you live in a more metropolitan are and have one or more used PC stores available.

Just thought.  And do please attempt to recycle as much of the old box as possible.

WGH

« Reply #32 on: 21 Feb 2023, 03:17 pm »
I was hoping to get it up and running for little kids...

Oh boy, that would have been both a learning and educational experience for both you and the kids. An old OS with barely functional antivirus and small children, what could possibly go wrong?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 22 Feb 2023, 01:05 am »
If he donates this nice desktop he will have to buy a new one this means an cash expenditure in these times of crisis that is just beginning. In 2112 I donated a Dell Vostro mini tower W-XP for my computer tech after himself said wasnot worth fixing it, it turns out that he is using this CPU in his office until today...