Lots of active bass/sub woofers in my room

guf

Lots of active bass/sub woofers in my room
« on: 11 Apr 2021, 04:45 am »
Try to get this to slide into this circle based on you need good bass to have proper acoustics. :) I have a new pair of speaker that had adjustable bass. Rethm Maagra. And I have a subwoofer swarm. AND I have a rythmik F12. All have crossovers and adjustable gain and phase.

Rhythm 30-240 crossover
Swarm 30-200 crossover
Rythmik 30-200

Whats been kinda working with the crossovers is
120 Rethm
75 swarm
45 F12 ( out of phase from the rest)
the gain I have been trying to dial in by ear but what seems to work for one genre of listening may more be the best for another.

when it's set like this it seems to be a good balance for my old jazz records through bestie boys through grateful dead. Meaning I can go days with out messing with any settings.  I do have a mic to sweep but I'm looking for suggestions based on what technically should work.   Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2021, 05:57 am by guf »

roscoe65

Re: Lots of active bass/sub woofers in my room
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2021, 01:33 pm »
I’ve only seen your pictures of your space, but you have a lot (7?) of high-power bass transducers in your room.  I would be willing to posit that it is probably overkill with your current setup, but with your other speakers you may need the additional bass output.

If this were my room and system, I would approach in this manner:

1.  Start with the Rhythm speakers alone in the desired position.  If you want them set up for a solo listening experience use that setup.  If you want them set up for group listening use that arrangement.  I note that you have selected 120hz for your high pass on these speakers.  It may be perfect, but my first inclination would be to choose a lower point (<100hz) since 120hz is smack in the middle of the male vocal range.  I would setup up the system to achieve your goals in imaging, soundstaging, and balance >200hz.  At this point I would run the speakers full range.  It is unclear to me if the 120hz crossover point is the bass-FR crossover or a system high pass crossover.  I am going to assume the former.

2.  Add the Swarm at recommended postitions in the room.  You may now find it appropriate to use an RTA app and decent microphone on your phone to aid in system setup.  Looking for nodes or suck outs will guide your choice of crossover point.  Ideally it will be relatively low provided the Rhythm bass modules have adequate mid bass power.  You should move around the room with the RTA to identify locations for the swarm units.

3.  Use the Rythmik subwoofer as you are now:  as a separate component to tune stubborn room nodes.  In you’re case, you are using it to knock down a particular node.

If I were doing this for myself, I would start with the main speakers alone.  Once I have an acceptable setup I would use the RTA to identify areas of potential improvement.  I would then use the Rythmik to fill in the bass foundation and even out room response.  I fear that with so many bass units in place in a relatively small space you may be using the Rythmik to counteract some of the bass you are adding with the Swarm.

guf

Re: Lots of active bass/sub woofers in my room
« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2021, 05:13 pm »
I’ve only seen your pictures of your space, but you have a lot (7?) of high-power bass transducers in your room.  I would be willing to posit that it is probably overkill with your current setup, but with your other speakers you may need the additional bass output.

If this were my room and system, I would approach in this manner:

1.  Start with the Rhythm speakers alone in the desired position.  If you want them set up for a solo listening experience use that setup.  If you want them set up for group listening use that arrangement.  I note that you have selected 120hz for your high pass on these speakers.  It may be perfect, but my first inclination would be to choose a lower point (<100hz) since 120hz is smack in the middle of the male vocal range.  I would setup up the system to achieve your goals in imaging, soundstaging, and balance >200hz.  At this point I would run the speakers full range.  It is unclear to me if the 120hz crossover point is the bass-FR crossover or a system high pass crossover.  I am going to assume the former.

2.  Add the Swarm at recommended postitions in the room.  You may now find it appropriate to use an RTA app and decent microphone on your phone to aid in system setup.  Looking for nodes or suck outs will guide your choice of crossover point.  Ideally it will be relatively low provided the Rhythm bass modules have adequate mid bass power.  You should move around the room with the RTA to identify locations for the swarm units.

3.  Use the Rythmik subwoofer as you are now:  as a separate component to tune stubborn room nodes.  In you’re case, you are using it to knock down a particular node.

If I were doing this for myself, I would start with the main speakers alone.  Once I have an acceptable setup I would use the RTA to identify areas of potential improvement.  I would then use the Rythmik to fill in the bass foundation and even out room response.  I fear that with so many bass units in place in a relatively small space you may be using the Rythmik to counteract some of the bass you are adding with the Swarm.
I appreciate the suggestions and I am going for the optimizing the solo listening.  :D I started with turning the crossover down below 120 and the Rythmik off. The basic Rethm set up is following the Art's stereophile review that was done but the importer. The position of the swarm is kinda limited. Duke has name for this kind of set up. "Live and let live" or " let it go". I think it works. I set the phase the same on the speakers and swarm. Dukes suggest running one of the subs out of phase and that why I thought of using the rythmik for that. AND yes all this is probably over kill for my little room. What I tell others is that the swarm if for my room not my speakers. I feel like it integrates really well with these speakers compared to my Belles or Altecs. My first listen to some long time bass tracks is nice following your suggestion. thanks! I will bust out the mic soon to figure out if I'm doing it right :)