Intro

JXBJXB

Intro
« on: 7 Aug 2022, 12:26 am »
Hi there from Northern Colorado! I've been into the hobby for 40 years, starting with my Dad's old Dynaco 120, large Advents, and AR-XA that he soundly rejected in the early 80's when he got some JVC mid-fi quartz-locked "wondertable." Since then I've progressively built up various systems and have done some decent kitbuilding. Alas, none of those systems are worth mentioning at this point because I lost 100% of my gear and my vinyl and cassette collections in a massive wildfire this past December.

But! I'm finally starting to rebuild things literally and figuratively. Two new systems, one based around a NAD C658 streamer/preamp, Krell KAV150 amp, and some vintage Snell Js. Just added a Well Tempered Table, which is my reason for joining Audiocircle. The other system will be based on some kits, right now a tubesforaudio SP14 preamp and a TubeLab Simple Single Ended amp, which I'll swap for an Akitika GT-102 during the summers.

Anyway, glad to be here!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2022, 12:30 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

AllanS

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2022, 12:59 am »
Glad to have you. Welcome aboard!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2022, 02:24 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC JXB   :thumb:  Sorry to hear of your loss, thankfully equipment can be replaced. Glad you are safe.  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2022, 02:27 pm »
Welcome!

AudioDuck

• Music. It’s all about the music.
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2022, 09:22 pm »
Welcome to the community, and I’m very sorry to hear of your loss to the wildfire.

Hopefully your rebuilt system will bring you as much joy as your prior setup, though of course losing the music would be extremely hard.

On that topic, I highly recommend backing up your digital music to the cloud, if you can. Many services have enough storage included that this can be a possibility (over time, as you may have a lot to upload).

Again, welcome!
Egil

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2022, 11:59 am »
Subscribing to a streaming service, like Qobuz or Tidal can provide automatic internet backup for most of your library.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2022, 01:06 pm »
Welcome to the community, and I’m very sorry to hear of your loss to the wildfire.

Hopefully your rebuilt system will bring you as much joy as your prior setup, though of course losing the music would be extremely hard.

On that topic, I highly recommend backing up your digital music to the cloud, if you can. Many services have enough storage included that this can be a possibility (over time, as you may have a lot to upload).

Again, welcome!
Egil

This is certainly an important idea, especially if you have a lot of music that is not available on streaming services.

In my case, I had a spare NUC that a friend was kind enough to allow me to locate at his residence, and I run nightly rsyncs of my music library to it.

AudioDuck

• Music. It’s all about the music.
« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2022, 06:33 am »
The offsite NUC solution is a good option. I use OneDrive (Microsoft Azure) and that’s been working well.

As the music (about 1,300 albums of my CD rips and high-res from HDTracks) in my syncing folder locally, it automatically uploads to the cloud when there is new content. I’m grateful that my 365 subscription includes enough space… 😅

All the best,
Egil