Any comments on the M165X woofers?

nodiak

Any comments on the M165X woofers?
« on: 14 Dec 2006, 05:37 pm »
Has anyone used them in a system yet? Care to comment?
I am thinking about them for a 2 way or 2.5 (as an idea, ~ like Zaph's, have the waveguide but maybe use Neo 3's instead of waveguide).
I'll possibly do ob, or maybe aperiodic, don't need below 70 hz.
They have a large xmax for a midwoofer which is cool, but am really more interested in the midbass through midrange qualities.
Thanks, Don 

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Re: Any comments on the M165X woofers?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2006, 11:34 pm »
I designed and built a tower cabinet and shipped it to Danny for testing.  It's a slot port design (port can be on either the front or back).  Danny says it tunes between 29 and 30Hz.  He made some suggestions which I'll incorporate.  The tweeter is the RAW Acoustics custom RA104.5 ribbon tweeter.  Danny says: "The sound is a cut above the A/V-3 in just about every way.  It doesn't quite have the sensitivity but it does sound better."  :thumb:

RAW Acoustics will have a kit for sale in the near future. 

RAW

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2006, 07:59 pm »
Thanks Hank
Yes the RA6 will use the M165 with our ribbon tweeter.
The kit price is only $549.99 great deal for a tower design tuned to below 30hz with a slot port that can be made loading to the front or rear of the cabinet.
The kit price will include
Sonicap capacitors with Erse cap on the impedance comp of the woofer (no sense for Sonic here) Mills resistors Gen II bypass caps, foil inductors ,terminal cups, wire, screw ,plans.

nodiak

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2006, 10:28 pm »
Thanks guys, looks like a nice kit. I'll check it out.
Hank, thanks for passing on Danny's comparison to the A/V-3's. That's helpful.
Like I said not going for bass but ~ 70 hz cutoff, to keep cone motion down and keep midbass thru midrange clearer.
Any other comments on midbass thru midrange sq of these drivers?
Any fellow hobbyists try these midwoofers? What do you think?
Will be interesting to see what Danny comes up with.
Thanks, Don
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2006, 12:12 am by nodiak »

nodiak

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2006, 04:20 am »
From following LS-6 and OB-7 thread found Danny's comment of F3 ~ 65-70hz in .5ft3 sealed. That could work great for me, blending with a powered sub. I'm using 20 watt tube amp for mains so may want to use 2 drivers per side in MTM or TMM for better efficiency. 1ft3 cabs in my smaller room would be nice. Good news!
Don