jolida 302b, 1801s, and dvd-audio?

hunky

• http://home.gci.net/~jdory/boat.htm
« on: 29 Apr 2005, 06:06 am »
newb here that doesn't live anywhere near where I can learn or hear sound stuff, short of the internet.

I figured I would jump head first into this new fangled dvd technology so I just ordered me one (being that it is hard to get a vhs movie anymore here). It is basically a consumer model that does dvd-a and sacd: a Pioneer DV-588A-S. I have the jolida and the 1801s, just wondering if there's anyway to incorporate that amp into a system. (My tv is old - I had to also order an rf modulator so I could hook up the dvd. Not expecting the greatest image).

I saw the HT Setup thread but a lot of that seems to be setting up a new system. Maybe it will help, but just seeking advice with what I got and maybe how to add to it to make it work. I don't watch that many movies.. one a month or less, and I as yet have no sacd's or dvd-a's so I can ease into this.. not sure I need surround sound or deep bass- just not that important to me anymore, though it would be fun.

I do have a couple pro Mackie 1400i amps sitting around..

Any thoughts?

cheers, Hunky

Ron Stewart

• http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2005, 02:09 pm »
Hunky,

You should be able to connect the audio outputs from your DVD player to an unused set of inputs on your integrated amp. When you watch a DVD, just select that input on your amp, and turn down or mute the sound on your TV.

I have my DVD player/recorder connected to my two-channel system in a similar way. My DVR has two sets of audio outputs. I connect the DVR to my TV with a three-cable component video cable and the usual L+R audio cables. I connect the second set of audio outputs from the DVR to my integrated amp. (In your case, the audio from the DVD to the TV goes through the coax, so you can use the primary audio outputs from the DVD.)

If I watch a recorded TV show, I typically don't care much about the sound, so I just listen through the TV's speakers. (I don't even turn my amp on.) If I watch a movie, I turn the amp on, select the Video input (which is really an audio input from a video device), and listen through my 1801Fs.

I like watching movies with this setup. Even though it's not surround, and there's no center channel, the soundtrack and even background noises sound much more realistic, and have more impact.

Ron