Video sound and editing

JohnR

Video sound and editing
« on: 23 Jul 2015, 04:48 am »
Hi, is it OK to ask video type questions here?

I'm wondering if anyone has recorded sound and video separately (i.e. video on camera, audio on computer) and spliced them together in an editing program?

Reason I ask is that my camera doesn't have an input for a separate mic whereas I do have good quality mics and soundcards for the computer.

Also, what software (Mac) would you recommend for video editing? I don't mind paying but I would prefer say around $100 to get started. I've used iMovie but find it clunky and confusing. Before I spend the time to learn it better I'm wondering if it might be best to just switch.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Zero

Re: Video sound and editing
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2015, 04:59 am »
Great question John.  I too have been wondering the same thing.  :D 

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2015, 01:40 pm »
Hi John

Yes it can be done but it can be very tedious if you don't use timecode like SMPTE when acquiring footage and sound using the two different devices in tandem. Protools Express should work. Without timecode there are stretch functions that will allow you to line up the sound to the images. Expect to do some cutting if video segments are long.

santacore

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2015, 03:26 pm »
There will most likely be timing issues, but it's definitely possible. Ideally, you would want a program that you can edit video and audio together. Import the video and audio from camera. On another audio track import the audio from your separate recorder. Use the original video camera tracks as your master and then by ear/eye sync the 2 audio tracks. Before you start anything, try to find our the video frame rate of the camera and the audio capture specs. Ideally shoot the second recorders audio at the same sampling rate/frame rate.

I use Avid Pro Tools for my work. I believe they just released a free version that you can download. If not that, I hear Audacity is good for a free program, although I'm not sure if it will work with video too.

tvyankee

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2015, 05:48 pm »
John,

What type of camera is it? Does it have a video output? What are you using to record audio(USB External audio interface)? Bit bucket and a lav or Stick or Shotgun Mic?

With some info i may be able to help.

Thanks

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2015, 04:27 pm »
Hi, the camera is a Fuji X-M1. I mean, that's what I use for stills, for various reasons, I've considered getting a dedicated video camera but good stuff is $$$. The new micro camera from Blackmagic looks pretty cool, easy enough to get a Nikon to MFT adapter. However, realistically, I think working with what I have is the best thing to do. The audio is from an RME Fireface UCX, mics are omni but in the situation I think that will be fine.

I want to get better sound that doesn't depend on camera distance, and also consistent with the sound recorded for screen captures.

I can't help thinking that the simplest way to go would be to get a video camera that just plugs straight into the computer via Thunderbolt, FireWire, or USB3. Then the video and audio can be recorded in sync. But all I'm turning up in searches is webcams. (Or stuff I can't afford.)

Barring that, the software Screenflow looks like it might be worth trying out. There's a video on youtube on how to merge separate audio and video tracks with it.

Thank you to the other responses too. SMPTE timecodes is a level beyond what I am thinking about here :) Pro Tools seems to be popular but the free version doesn't support video (from their webpage) and to get Express it seems you ahve to buy one of their audio interfaces (and I already have enough of those...!) :)

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2015, 01:35 pm »
So. Some time later... First off, Screenflow is really good! It doesn't do everything and maybe a seasoned professional would have issues with it but for my purposes it's working really well. I had no issues with paying for it after a few days trial, totally worth it. I am also using a program called SoundStudio (I think?) for capturing audio, that's pretty good too. I just splice the audio into Screenflow.

Actual video capture is the weakest point now, so after some umming and ahhing I grabbed a hacked Panasonic GH1 (with zoom lens) on eBay. Should get it within the next couple of days. It's pretty long in the tooth now but for the price it's worth it even if it only ends up being a learning experience and/or tells me where I need to go next.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2015, 03:03 pm »
I got the GH1 today. And... I then accidentally bought a GH3 as well. I guess I'm getting into this. Time to sell my Fuji kit? :lol:  :shake: