Simplex Pillar Height

macm75

Simplex Pillar Height
« on: 28 Jan 2018, 06:25 pm »
Hello folks,
This is my first post on AudioCircle and jointed specifically because of this forum.  I just received a Simplex a few days ago second hand.  I just came from a Clearaudio Concept but my dream turntable was the Simplex well before that - been fascinated by the design since I first heard of it.  After a lot of wait/patience, I finally found one that was in my budget (but I better sell that Concept!). 
Anyway, the manual looks clear except for the height of the suspension pillar.  The manual states the pillar should be approx 95mm above the plinth.  I assume that is the top of the pillar but I just question it because, at that setting, the bottom of the pillar is so close to the rack surface.  What does that 95mm represent (relative to top of pillar or maybe it means center of suspension rod)?
Thank You.

mick wolfe

Re: Simplex Pillar Height
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2018, 04:02 am »
I can only comment in reference to my Amadeus. The Amadeus arm pillar is  5.5" in length.  With everything set up properly, my arm pillar extends through the plinth with about 5/8" of the pillar exposed beyond the bottom of the plinth. The top of the pillar is roughly 90mm above the plinth. I'm not familiar with the Simplex, but from an engineering/stability standpoint, I would think the pillar would have to at least extend the full depth of the plinth...... or hopefully beyond like with the Amadeus.

mick wolfe

Re: Simplex Pillar Height
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2018, 03:06 am »
On the other hand, I may have missed the point. If "rack surface" is the shelf the Simplex sits on and you're afraid the arm pillar will bottom out on the shelf, the solution would be to simply find footers/lifts to place under each of the 4 squash balls.