Donations to TONE Audio, Tacky or Justified?

TONEPUB

Donations to TONE Audio, Tacky or Justified?
« on: 12 Feb 2007, 04:34 pm »
Here's a subject that Im very curious about.  A number of my freinds in the industry suggested that we ask for donations at TONEAudio.

I waited a year and a half to put this up on our website, because I wanted to make people realize that we were going to stay in business before we asked anyone for a contribution.  And since we did, a few people have thrown a few bucks our way, so we greatly appreciate it.

Here's my dilemma:

Granted, TONEAudio is about 90% funded by our advertising.  Our rates are a fraction of what Stereophile and TAS charge, because we don't have to print and mail 40-90 thousand magazines all over the world every month and we don't have quite the infrastructure that they have to support.

However, we do pay our writers (almost print magazine rates) and we end up with guest contributors and a lot of shipping back and forth with some pretty heavy stuff that doesn't always get picked up the mfrs.
Also, now that we have 45 thousand regular readers, downloading 35mb pdf's, the server fees have gone up as well.

Our model is to keep TONEAudio a free publication and we will stick to that.  A number of people that have contributed have said, that they have done it because they enjoy the magazine.

So, do you think we are justified in politely asking, or does this come across as being crass?

BTW, in case you are in the justified camp, here's the link:

http://www.tonepublications.com/TA-donate.htm

Thanks for your input on a very sensitive subject!

miklorsmith

Re: Donations to TONE Audio, Tacky or Justified?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2007, 04:56 pm »
I don't think a reasonable person could complain about making this option available.  The cost of a person ignoring the option?  Diddly.  Potential benefit from having a great, free audio magazine available for their free download and free perusal?  Mucho.

It's a great idea.

ZLS

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2007, 06:03 pm »
It comes down to a question of degree.  There is "asking" a la Audio Circle and there is "asking" a la Public Television, which seems to have more fund drives than actual programing. 
    I personally have no problem with your request.
    A suggestion I would make is have the link to paypal be direct; one click and you can contribute the amount of your choice.

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2007, 06:11 pm »
Granted, TONEAudio is about 90% funded by our advertising.  Our rates are a fraction of what Stereophile and TAS charge, because we don't have to print and mail 40-90 thousand magazines all over the world every month and we don't have quite the infrastructure that they have to support.

Yeah, but Stereophile's and TAS's rates aren't what they are because they have to print and ship all those magazines all over the world every month. They have paid subscriptions and newsstand sales to defray those costs.

What drives ad rates are eyeballs.

If your rates are just a fraction of Stereophile's and TAS's, and you're delivering TONEAudio to some 90,000 eyeballs, just about half of Stereophile's total circulation, seems to me you could just increase your ad rates a wee bit to cover that last 10% while still offering advertisers a good value.

TONEAudio is a professional publication. It has paid advertisements and paid writers. While I don't think asking for donations is being crass, I do think it has a sort of "charity case" air about it. "We can't quite make it as a free publication so we're asking for your help..."

So I'd recommend dropping the donations, increasing ad rates a bit, and redouble your efforts at ad sales.

se

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2007, 06:20 pm »
Well, that's why I agonized over this for so long. 

Once this thread has run its course for a few days, we will end up making a final decision.
I appreciate the feedback, because it is very difficult to run this in a vacuum!

And I see, now that when we redid the new website, our webmaster didn't activate the
link!

So, there you go....

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2007, 06:32 pm by TONEPUB »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2007, 06:55 pm »
Done.  It's a great pub, good writers, and exemplary photography (on the audio side...haven't even perused the photo side).  I pay for value....good stuff.

Steve Eddy

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2007, 07:31 pm »
I appreciate the feedback, because it is very difficult to run this in a vacuum!

You should get someone from NASA on the staff. They're pretty good at that stuff.  :green:

se

TONEPUB

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2007, 08:19 pm »
Well, our classical editor is a triple E, has a Ph.D in Physics
and has done a bit of defense contracting in his day, does
that help?

:)

But seriously, we do really enjoy the feedback we are getting
here.  As we made the decision not to put a "letters" column
in the magazine it's great talking to our readers here.

No disrespect to my print competitors, but I'd rather have
another article than six pages of "Michael Fremer is an idiot"
"Michael Fremer is a genius" letters cluttering up the magazine.

We even moved the staff bios to the website.

So far, our readers have been pretty kind, no major grumpiness
and that really helps...

Steve Eddy

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2007, 09:08 pm »
Well, our classical editor is a triple E, has a Ph.D in Physics
and has done a bit of defense contracting in his day, does
that help?

I dunno. Stuff 'im in a Hoover and see how he holds up.  :green:

But seriously, we do really enjoy the feedback we are getting
here.  As we made the decision not to put a "letters" column
in the magazine it's great talking to our readers here.

No disrespect to my print competitors, but I'd rather have
another article than six pages of "Michael Fremer is an idiot"
"Michael Fremer is a genius" letters cluttering up the magazine.

Yeah, can't say I'm much of a letters fan myself. And a forum such as this is much more interactive.

So far, our readers have been pretty kind, no major grumpiness
and that really helps...

Yeah. And a sign you're probably doing something right.  8)

se

mtodde

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2007, 11:03 pm »
I think it is reasonable...and yes I need to make a contribution!