Does anyone know anything about the Lossless Jazz and Blues site?

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
I've tried to find out more about them but I keep coming up empty.  Is anyone here registered with that site?  Their web page is below.

http://losslessjazz.net/

Thanks,
Mike

ACHiPo

Interesting.  Not sure how they get around rights management--seems to be a filesharing site ala Napster?  It also seems to be a front end/advertisement for DataFile, a subscription cloud hosting/storage site.

firedog

these old albums may already be in the public domain

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
They appear to have some compression I would guess from the file size.    While I didn't read the entire page that do have a page on domain and rights.  It is at the bottom of the page.

IF one was to sign up they don't mention getting a higher resolution copy of at least CD quality :scratch:

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
They appear to have some compression I would guess from the file size.    While I didn't read the entire page that do have a page on domain and rights.  It is at the bottom of the page.

IF one was to sign up they don't mention getting a higher resolution copy of at least CD quality :scratch:
Lossless means compressed with no data loss.

srb

They appear to have some compression I would guess from the file size.

My calculations would seem to agree that you are likely correct.  In the Glen Gray album there is ~ 59 minutes of tracks, and at ~ 10MB per minute for uncompressed 16/44.1 that would be ~ 590MB uncompressed.

In my own ripping and converting, I have seen compressed lossless FLAC take about 50% to 60% of the space, but have not yet seen it go below 50%.  At 50%, the album would be ~ 295MB, so at 216MB total for the Glen Gray album, it would appear that there may be some lossy compression as well.

Steve