Jason needs some help

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
Jason needs some help
« on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:13 am »
Guys
I'm kinda shopping around for a 6.1 or 7.1ch receiver.
so far ive seriously considered Denon and Cambridge Audio.
anyone selling one ?
you guys have suggestions ?

thanks

OzarkTom

Re: Jason needs some help
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2011, 12:31 am »
I bought a B-stock(refurb) Denon 5.1 at dakmart.com for about $190, including shipping. Dakmart also sells these on Ebay, but I think it is cheaper from Dakmart. It still works great after two years. I believe they come with a 90-day warranty. Dakmart is the only company that is authorized to sell Denon B-stock in the US, or so they claim.

http://www.dakmart.com/Audio-Home-Audio-Receivers/c4_9_15/p5042/Denon-Avr-1706-7.1-CH-Home-Theater-Receiver-Bstock-w-Warranty/product_info.html

Here is a 7.1 for $160.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2011, 02:51 am »
You could do what I do, get a DVD player with analog outs and feed them into 3 x ONE.2s  :thumb: (I sold my Cambridge receiver after I did that - it was quite decent for the price though.)

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2011, 03:11 am »
John--could you explain that setup?? My guess is with a total of six channels you used 1 for the front L & R, 1 for the back L & R, 1 for the center??
Thanks

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2011, 03:25 am »
Do you want HDMI?

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2011, 09:29 am »
John--could you explain that setup?? My guess is with a total of six channels you used 1 for the front L & R, 1 for the back L & R, 1 for the center??
Thanks

yes, you got it. With the one used for the center I also input the sub channel and take the line-level sub output to the sub eq and amp.

I'm not saying I'd recommend this setup... as there's no remote and you have to adjust three knobs to change the volume... But hey, it works for me  :D

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2011, 10:49 am »
Pretty ingenious I think and the sub channel also very nice. Mini DSP in the house also I'm assuming....
Ed

shadowlight

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:50 am »

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2011, 12:17 pm »
Don't buy a SONY...mine is rated at 100W x 7 and I doubt it has 10watts-its a glorified video switcher now because of the HDMI paths. My old vintage Kenwood VR-6050 kicks butt in the audio dept. for movies etc..but no HDMI.

Jason- budget? New or used?

dvenardos

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2011, 07:41 pm »
Or just add a six channal analog preamp in the mix and set the Virtues to bypass the pot. My goldpoint is 99% finished and sitting on the workbench.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64641.0

You could do what I do, get a DVD player with analog outs and feed them into 3 x ONE.2s  :thumb: (I sold my Cambridge receiver after I did that - it was quite decent for the price though.)

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2011, 10:33 pm »
Here's a link to Onkyo refurb. I got one for a client, I hooked it up...very intuitive, but can't speak to sound quality as all the equipment was unfamiliar.

http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?group_id=1&subcat=Receiver

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:36 pm »
Or just add a six channal analog preamp in the mix and set the Virtues to bypass the pot. My goldpoint is 99% finished and sitting on the workbench.

Cool :thumb: I have the necessaries for a 6-ch remote passive to do just that too... just need to build it!

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2011, 03:59 pm »

John
I have a Cambridge audio dvd-79 that has analog outs with a built in preamp but I went to a blueray player with the built in Netflix app because Cami and I are to cheap to pay for cable :)
plus now I want to run different speakers for home theater at this point.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2011, 04:01 pm »
Thanks
see my center channel is actually big enough that I made it 2 channel so I could use a whole One.2 for it :)

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2011, 04:03 pm »
Do you want HDMI?

yes I do.
I think my buddy Trung has got me taken care of  :beer:
he has a huge Onkyo thats exactly what I'm looking for and the price is right.

now what I'm trying to figure out is why Audiocircle isnt allerting me when my posts get replied to...
YES I checkmarked the box :)

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #15 on: 20 Mar 2011, 04:05 pm »

I almost built my own passive preamp but I'm lazy and want video switching and a remote.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables

se-riously

« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2011, 08:45 pm »
Just make sure that it gets good ventilation.  That particular receiver generates a lot of heat.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #18 on: 23 Mar 2011, 03:20 am »
Just make sure that it gets good ventilation.  That particular receiver generates a lot of heat.

thsnks for the tip, it will be in a very open space  :thumb:

TimeWillTell

« Reply #19 on: 25 Mar 2011, 10:38 pm »
I'm a little late here but it sounds like you found what you were looking for Jason.

I wanted to give anyone else who might be pursuing a surround AV receiver another suggestion: Integra

There stuff is phenominal.  I recently bought one of their new DTR-40.2s and it is amazing, simply a joy. 

I have a couple of friends in the Custom Home Audio/Theater business (one with AudioVisions and one with Creative Concept Sound Solutions (both amazing companies down here in So Cal)) and they turned me on to them. 

Integra is actually Onkyo's high end offshoot brand (yet the pricing is relatively exceptional).

http://www.integrahometheater.com/