Let's talk SUSPIRO

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

Let's talk SUSPIRO
« on: 25 Jul 2018, 04:57 pm »
So, when I chose to go the Odyssey route it was based on reputation, my understanding of the "Odyssey Sound" and that he makes and sells a complete system that he brings to shows.

As I have little to zero experience with high end gear, I wanted to make sure I achieved synergy with the components I choose. So in that vain, it has been my desire to upgrade from my current Phonostage (Lounge LCR MKIII) to the Suspiro. I have zero doubt the Suspiro is very good BTW.

What I'd like to have happen in this thread are comparisons of the Suspiro vs other phono stages and general thoughts and impressions. I was excited to read Fremer's review but it seems to have never actually happened. Other pro reviews are scarce to say the least.

Admittedly, I am ignorant as to what a $2000 phono stage does better than a $300 phono stage, and I'm in no way saying it isn't better, just that I am curious as to how much better it can be. Again, this is ignorance on my part.

Thanks

:popcorn:

AlTran

Re: Let's talk SUSPIRO
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2018, 08:24 pm »
What's your turntable? What's your cartridge?

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2018, 09:10 pm »
Well,  we delayed all of the reviews for the simple reason that we're already selling the crap out of them...just from word of moputh,  and honestly,  we're not ready for the Avalanche of orders that would come out of any of the reviews...yet.

as for the unit itself,  just call me...try it out yourself and then make up your mind...always better than depending on reviews anyway.....and yes,  for $ 1250./ and $ 1950./ (2 pc. reference unit) they are insanely good......

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2018, 12:36 am »
So, when I chose to go the Odyssey route it was based on reputation, my understanding of the "Odyssey Sound" and that he makes and sells a complete system that he brings to shows.

As I have little to zero experience with high end gear, I wanted to make sure I achieved synergy with the components I choose. So in that vain, it has been my desire to upgrade from my current Phonostage (Lounge LCR MKIII) to the Suspiro. I have zero doubt the Suspiro is very good BTW.

What I'd like to have happen in this thread are comparisons of the Suspiro vs other phono stages and general thoughts and impressions. I was excited to read Fremer's review but it seems to have never actually happened. Other pro reviews are scarce to say the least.

Admittedly, I am ignorant as to what a $2000 phono stage does better than a $300 phono stage, and I'm in no way saying it isn't better, just that I am curious as to how much better it can be. Again, this is ignorance on my part.

Thanks

:popcorn:

A 2K phono pre will sound much better than a $300 phono pre.  You will get a blacker background, wider, deeper sound stage with more space between the instruments.  There will be better detail and resolution with a more natural sound.  Bass will be tighter, cymbals will have more air and sound natural.  There will be more texture to the music.  You may have more features such as adjustable cartridge loading etc..

Of course, you will need to have a cartridge and TT that will be able to take advantage of the phono preamp as every piece is an important part of the chain.

Just read some of the stereophile and TAS reviews on higher end phono preamps from Pass Labs, Parasound, etc..

https://www.stereophile.com/content/parasound-halo-jc-3-phono-preamplifier

I am not touting these preamps, just using them as an example.

AlTran

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2018, 09:54 pm »
I have the SE version. It's good & I don't want to try anything else at this time. Obviously I won't look at anything else costing less & expecting more. I also won't spend more than 2K to find out if whatever something else is going to be better, my boss doesn't approve the budget. 

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2018, 10:12 pm »
What's your turntable? What's your cartridge?

Currently a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and Ortofon 2M Blue, but that will change. I'm looking Gem Dandy Polytable or VPI Scout and no idea on cart. 2M Bronze? Maybe dip into MC carts for the first time? Who knows.

Making the Suspiro my next purchase is probably not the best in terms of order but its the least expensive of the items I want to get (TT, cart, Candela...).

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2018, 10:15 pm »
Well,  we delayed all of the reviews for the simple reason that we're already selling the crap out of them...just from word of moputh,  and honestly,  we're not ready for the Avalanche of orders that would come out of any of the reviews...yet.

as for the unit itself,  just call me...try it out yourself and then make up your mind...always better than depending on reviews anyway.....and yes,  for $ 1250./ and $ 1950./ (2 pc. reference unit) they are insanely good......

Klaus, I have zero doubt its good. Zero. And it most certainly will be in my system. My Khartago has exceeded my loft expectations and while I'm exceedingly happy with how things sound now in its current state of temporary components, Its going to be so much better I can barely wait to hear it.  :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2018, 12:12 am »
Currently a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and Ortofon 2M Blue, but that will change. I'm looking Gem Dandy Polytable or VPI Scout and no idea on cart. 2M Bronze? Maybe dip into MC carts for the first time? Who knows.

Making the Suspiro my next purchase is probably not the best in terms of order but its the least expensive of the items I want to get (TT, cart, Candela...).

You should read up on Hana Cartridges.  They make  reasonably priced good MC and MM cartridges.  Just make sure the cartridge compliance is proper for your TT.  Although most modern tonearms require a high to medium compliance cartridge.