Recommendation for Music lovers

Kw6

Recommendation for Music lovers
« on: 3 Apr 2022, 09:56 pm »
Hi,

I always like coming on Audio Circle and always receive helpful suggestions. Now I like to give back some helpful advice that could save new audiophiles thousands of dollars searching for a new dac.

I own Musician Draco now. More analog sounding than most dacs.

Enjoy the music!😄

VinceT

Re: Recommendation for Music lovers
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2022, 07:18 pm »
How do you like it compared to your D300?

Kw6

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2022, 02:18 am »
Ah I forgot I posted this! Haha

Before I got the D300 the Pegasus was my favorite. It was close in body to Pontus but with better dynamics and resolution and top end air. Pontus maybe good if you care about solid imaging which may have a slight edge. The two R2R sounds better than the Chord Qutest which is on par with Pegasus resolution but clearly sounding like good digital.

Now on to the surprise! After reading and seeing some internet buzz I decided to order one from Amazon. At the time I had Qutest hooked up and was not enjoying it. Couldn't get into it. So I hook up set up DAC in the evening and waited til morning to play first song. Right off the bat a softer and sweeter sound. Very detailed great bass but natural sounding and don't want to use this old cliche but it was more analog sounding. Now on poor recordings it does sound a bit less sweet. I used Anne Bisson's Blue Mind album to test this dac out as I am also familiar with the vinyl version which was at my dealer. On song September in Montreal her voice was hovering inbetween the speakers sounding natural and sweet like it is probably in real life. The vinyl version is warmer and a wee bit more present but there are other factors to take into account as dealer was using Line Magnetic 845ia and I am using a El34 amp in triode mode. The D300 has slightly better dynamics and deeper bass than Pegasus. Soundstage is about the same. Here is where the D300 pulls ahead. On song Hope Love will Last. In the left channel there is a cymbal tap that has a brilliant sharp metal tone that goes tinggg and the decay with air lingers a bit! I have never heard this before on any of my dacs. I will try Pegasus again shortly but I am in no rush to disconnect the D300 as it's so sweet and beguiling sounding. Imagine the singer's head floating in the middle surrounded by a gentle cushion of air with the right music track. Now vocal sensing the palpable head image maybe the slightest better in the Pegasus! I won't know for sure til I use Pegasus again! So that is mids. But in high frequency resolution alone the D300 is worth the asking price. I assume you have seen my new thread Giant killer DAC. Me saying I am super impressed is an understatement.

Btw what are you using now? For me I am comfortable recommending this dac to anyone who wants better more accurate sound that you can enjoy listening for long hrs. I just want to sit it the sweet spot being enveloped by the sweet music.

Let me know if you decide to try it. Worst comes to worst you can return it before 30 days are up. But I bet you won't haha!😀

Kw6

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2022, 02:26 am »
I forgot when I originally posted this I started out with the Musician Draco and a week later upgraded to Pegasus which I still own currently!

VinceT

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2022, 02:37 am »
It is amazing with all these dacs coming out today. For 399.00 bucks the D300 sure sounds like a great deal. The MA dacs are interesting for sure, the Aquarius sounds good from what I gleen on youtube from headphones (I know not really reliable) but not for that price tag. The one DAC that has really peaked my interest is the Ladder Shumann. Right now I am just streaming with Qobuz to my Denon AVR, so I will be upgrading soon.

Kw6

« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2022, 05:49 am »
Yes indeed! I also thought about Aquarius from Pegasus but someone who tried it at home then returned saying it was but not something that would make him open his wallet. I am not familiar with Ladder Schumann DAC. Good thing about Denafrips is they have good resale value.

VinceT

« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2022, 09:54 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovb-In8Refs&t=896s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrlVVth1uyA&t=1221s

Here are a couple reviews, as always take them with a grain of salt. the Pontus II looks really nice as well

Kw6

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2022, 05:16 pm »
Cool thanks! There was one big comparo by Thomas and Stereo on YouTube where they compare 6 dacs. The best was Denafrips Venus. Ladder Schumann was and allrounder. Let me know what you think after watching video.

Kw6

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2022, 05:44 pm »
But I urge you to try D300. The realism is incredible! R2R has a smooth somewhat laidback sound but true the recording.

Kw6

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2022, 11:04 pm »
Hi Vince,

Finally listening to Pegasus again! Highly recommended. You can't go wrong with this dac.But D300 in same league. My  Pegasus is in my main system that is pre & power vs an integrated with D300!
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2023, 05:57 am by Kw6 »

Kw6

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2023, 02:44 am »
I added a new Transport Zen stream. Using coax spdif out now and wow sounds is more detailed and more analog sounding.

VinceT

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2023, 03:38 am »
Hi Vince,

Finally listening to Pegasus again! Highly recommended. You can't go wrong with this dac.But D300 in same league. My  Pegasus is in my main system that is pre & power vs an integrated with D300!

After living with the D300 for a while and going back to the MP, what are the main differences between the two? D300 still has better bass? Still convinced the D300 is better?

The d300 seems like it maybe a little softer and MP little more dymanic? How is soundstage, depth and imaging between the two?

Kw6

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2023, 06:07 pm »
Hey Vince!

Pure and simple! If you couple the iFi Zen stream and the SMSL D300 you will get sound closer to analog. The key was the Zen stream.  I wouldn't call D300 less dynamic but more analog.

Kw6

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2023, 10:57 pm »
Put it in another way if you use say Bluesound Node or even Cambridge 851N coupled to a R2R DAC like Pegasus or Pontus. My Zen with smsl d300 will wipe the floor with those dacs! Haha

VinceT

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2023, 11:25 pm »
Put it in another way if you use say Bluesound Node or even Cambridge 851N coupled to a R2R DAC like Pegasus or Pontus. My Zen with smsl d300 will wipe the floor with those dacs! Haha

Kw6,

Can you also describe the rest of your set up? I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on one.

Thanks

Vince

Kw6

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2023, 05:36 pm »
Ok!

I currently listen with Klipsch Forte IVs using Norodost Hemindal speaker cables or Audio Note Lexus. Interconnects are Cardas Golden cross. My current integrated is the Cayin cs-55a El34 in Triode mode. I stream Spotify and Tidal from Ifi zen stream using coax which is Wireworld Gold Elicpse 1.5 m. My current fav Dac SMSL D300. Adding the Zen made it even more analog sounding. Tip is best to have hard wire Lan connection to Zen. Also I use aftermarket power supply you can find on Amazon for $15. 12v 3 amp rating. Let me know what you going to do. Bluesound node with Pegasus is not better than Zen with smsl d300. I may try Zen with Pegasus. No doubt I will see a huge improvement as well but combo is more costly and highs on D300 still more clear and purer.

VinceT

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2023, 05:28 am »
Ok!

I currently listen with Klipsch Forte IVs using Norodost Hemindal speaker cables or Audio Note Lexus. Interconnects are Cardas Golden cross. My current integrated is the Cayin cs-55a El34 in Triode mode. I stream Spotify and Tidal from Ifi zen stream using coax which is Wireworld Gold Elicpse 1.5 m. My current fav Dac SMSL D300. Adding the Zen made it even more analog sounding. Tip is best to have hard wire Lan connection to Zen. Also I use aftermarket power supply you can find on Amazon for $15. 12v 3 amp rating. Let me know what you going to do. Bluesound node with Pegasus is not better than Zen with smsl d300. I may try Zen with Pegasus. No doubt I will see a huge improvement as well but combo is more costly and highs on D300 still more clear and purer.

Nice rig Kw6!

Thank you for the input, did you notice any issues with the "pops" between songs other users had experienced?

*edit* I ran across your post on another forum regarding your D300 experiences. So that answered my question. Thanks again
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2023, 04:36 pm by VinceT »

Kw6

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jan 2023, 06:50 pm »
Not on SMSL just some on Pegasus and Pontus. Btw haven't listen to Adele 30 album for awhile. I queue it and got goosebumps!😳

Kw6

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jan 2023, 06:51 pm »
You will need to get Zen with D300 or you will hear full potential!

mcgsxr

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jan 2023, 06:49 pm »
Interesting read for sure, thanks for sharing.

Happy with my Pi4 running Volumio into a Wadia di122 these days.  The Wadia is approx 7 years on the market, but for a DAC/Pre with remote and RCA and XLR outputs I find it excellent.  IF it included a sub output with some bass management it would be perfect (as though that exists).