Ah... glorious progress!

DEP14

Ah... glorious progress!
« on: 8 Feb 2020, 12:57 am »
I did really well not checking for a long, long time.  Just the occasional swing by the Salk Factory.  But now, it's a daily ritual it seems.

Rich Carlson

Re: Ah... glorious progress!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2020, 01:29 am »
I know the feeling  :)

JDoyle

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2020, 05:34 pm »
You’re getting close!
So what’s the Supplied Bypass Caps all about?

JD

DEP14

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2020, 06:50 pm »
You’re getting close!
So what’s the Supplied Bypass Caps all about?

JD

Well...the bypass caps are to satisfy a bit of "audiophile what-if".

So I tend to be a skeptic on cables, caps, cords etc... after a certain point.  I think that gauge matters, and shielding and quality materials matter.  But I typically won't go uber expensive.

That said, caps can get crazy expensive!  Especially for the size going into my speakers.  BUT... many do seem to swear by the jupiter caps to add a bit of body, naturalness to the sound of a speaker.  Then there is the whole speed, inductance, etc argument some make.

So, I talked to Jupiter and had just a few small bypass caps made for the x-overs for the midrange and tweeter.  When Jim tests the speakers when built, really unless he says "hey, so these don't sound right and the bypass caps are what's different"... we would know they certainly didn't help.

I will have no idea if it helps, as I will have no-way to A-B them...

But, this way for a very reasonable cost I can "feel" like I did something!

So, basically a cheap way to possibly feel like they add a little extra magic to the speakers... how's that for "well, I hope it helps, but beats the hell out of me if it will".  Marty (who posts here) will likely be able to tell more than I will as he has the same speakers somewhat locally in a baseline.  We also have similar amps, and pre-amps.  But, our DAC's and rooms are different....