N. American speakers that make sense.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: N. American speakers that make sense.
« Reply #60 on: 22 Aug 2011, 01:45 am »
This is 100% true even if it's not.
And what matters more than what we hear?  :wink:

chrisby

« Reply #61 on: 22 Aug 2011, 02:12 am »
And what matters more than what we hear?  :wink:

well Bob, of course it's what the experts tell us we aren't hearing wrong with what we think we like

of course, it's been almost 20 yrs since I bought my last commercial manufactured speaker, and each new system I build sounds better than the last -  I thought some kind of law of diminishing returns would have take affect by now,  but apparently not

or I could be mistaken   :thumb:

\

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #62 on: 22 Aug 2011, 11:08 am »
Everyone else's baby looks wrong compared to mine.   :wink:

audioligist

« Reply #63 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:45 am »
intriguing everyone...

if i only new the first iota about a build... i think i would like to build a set of speakers, i think it would give me satisfaction but it could burn my butt like nobody's business...

gotta start somewhere, been checking it out on the net... my problem i would like to start from scratch not a kit.

better start a post in the lab... but it will burn someone's A$$ because i'm sure to start it exactly as some other lad did a while back... oh well :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #64 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:59 am »
If you don't know the first iota about a build, and would rather start from scratch instead of a kit, you're diving into the deep end, head first.

Just a warning.  :wink:

Might want to start "small" with regard to how much sawdust is made at your house.

Bob

JLM

« Reply #65 on: 24 Aug 2011, 01:12 am »
Look into Pi Speakers (2 Towers).  A simple 2-way that as I recall that the cabinet can be built from 12 inch and 16 inch pre-finished MDF shelving.  The old Pi 2's sounded remarkably good and were remarkably cheap.  Wayne sells the components as a kit and gives away the cabinet design.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #66 on: 24 Aug 2011, 01:21 am »
Also, "Decware" also has some speaker plans online. Some are free, some cost you a few dollars. All are very good.

I hold Steve D. personally responsible for dragging me into this hobby with his (damn) speaker plans.

Kidding, of course. I like Steve.  :wink:

Bob

audioligist

« Reply #67 on: 24 Aug 2011, 01:23 am »
bob and jlm

between the two post i think i can be satisfied

hey bob... as you get to know me your are right, i'm always in over my head  :duh:

we'll see, i have a lot of other projects that are by far more pressing... and that is a  !@#$%^&*(), )(*&^%$#@!, #$%^&#$%^ !!!!!...  :lol:

and as i typed this bob replied again

i'll check it out (decware)... thx

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #68 on: 24 Aug 2011, 01:45 am »
Not to pile on, but Bob and Jim are right.  If you're experienced in woodworking, building your own cabinet from plans will work just fine.  If not, stay with one of the prefabs.  And it seems you've quickly given up any ideas of designing your own speaker from scratch, excellent move.  In the old days experienced designers with EE degrees could go through 10 or 20 prototypes before getting what they envisioned on paper to a finished product.  With the software available today that number is way down, but you still have to know how to use the software and how individual drivers respond.

I assume the option of just buying a pair of speakers is still in play?  It's not a sin you know.   :wink:   

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #69 on: 24 Aug 2011, 08:21 am »
been checking it out on the net... my problem i would like to start from scratch not a kit.

http://www.diyaudio.com/

dave

audioligist

« Reply #70 on: 24 Aug 2011, 09:19 pm »
letitrol, glad you can read between the lines, as dave has posted a quote that was only a half truth.

i would be happy do build some speakers that are built from scratch, not designed from scratch or by me... i would def. opt for a speaker package and some blueprints.

but i still prefer to buy some for true audiophile listening... i think it would be fun to build some for a hobby and enjoy the fruits of ones labor

i really want to pit some totem arros and models one's against something

doorman

« Reply #71 on: 24 Aug 2011, 10:16 pm »
Hi: What is "true audiophile"listening.
Perhaps your def. will help narrow things down.
don

ken

« Reply #72 on: 25 Aug 2011, 12:24 am »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend the Shelby+Kroll Nano Monitors. These speakers are not very well known but they're made in Arkansas and sound phenominal.  I'm using mine with a cheapy Yamaha receiver (I had to sell my preamp to help finance their purchase)and cannot get over how good they sound, this is one of the most detailed tonally balanced speakers I've ever heard and can only imagine how much better they would sound with a decent amp or integrated.  They do sound a little light in the bass dept as they are meant to be used with a sub but  I cannot say enough good things about them and Mine still aren't completely broken in yet.  Check out their website all of what Tim Kroll writes there is l true, no BS   They still may have some B stock left which would fall within your price range and  be an absolute steal

JLM

« Reply #73 on: 25 Aug 2011, 01:06 am »
Very interesting link Ken.   :thumb:

ken

« Reply #74 on: 25 Aug 2011, 01:34 am »
I probably should have provided a link, here it is
http://shelbykroll.com/

neekomax

« Reply #75 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:00 am »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend the Shelby+Kroll Nano Monitors. These speakers are not very well known but they're made in Arkansas and sound phenominal.  I'm using mine with a cheapy Yamaha receiver (I had to sell my preamp to help finance their purchase)and cannot get over how good they sound, this is one of the most detailed tonally balanced speakers I've ever heard and can only imagine how much better they would sound with a decent amp or integrated.  They do sound a little light in the bass dept as they are meant to be used with a sub but  I cannot say enough good things about them and Mine still aren't completely broken in yet.  Check out their website all of what Tim Kroll writes there is l true, no BS   They still may have some B stock left which would fall within your price range and  be an absolute steal

Yeah bro! those look sweet... too bad they're twice the OP's budget  :?

audioligist

« Reply #76 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:01 am »
true audiophile listening is:

listening you enjoy: color, imaging, and soundstage that you like, and, are your eyes closed?, do you drink wine? are you happy? can you go to a happy place? are you alone? do you feel the music?  etc.

to me it is not about analyzing (which is for the engineer) the song, but enjoying it on your own terms/perceptions... which is different for everyone.

hey ken, that's another i've not heard of,     thx

ken

« Reply #77 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:55 am »
yes I'm aware they're over his budget but like I stated he may have a few pairs of B stock remaining which are signicantly less which may still be a little over his budget but nevertheless in the ballpark

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #78 on: 25 Aug 2011, 03:16 am »

listening you enjoy: color, imaging, and soundstage that you like, and, are your eyes closed?, do you drink wine? are you happy? can you go to a happy place? are you alone? do you feel the music?  etc.

I know what you mean.  If I can suspend reality and reach a state of Zazen, floating above the chair, disassociated from the room and reach "the place and the time and the event where truth reveals itself", then the system is right.  So far this has only been achieved regularly with the Snell speakers, twice with the Maggies.

doorman

« Reply #79 on: 25 Aug 2011, 03:49 am »

to me it is not about analyzing (which is for the engineer) the song, but enjoying it on your own terms/perceptions... which is different for everyone.

hey ken, that's another i've not heard of,     thx
Well, I can understand your definition of "audiophile listening"!
I've been known to park myself under the speakers in a supermarket to listen--- It's about the music, in the end, not the equipment!
Best,
don