Your Favorite Speakers (besides the ones you own)?

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
Re: Your Favorite Speakers (besides the ones you own)?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jan 2011, 05:41 pm »

I think a great twist to this thread would be what speakers would you purchase if the speakers you currently own were not available.  This takes into account the actual cost of some of these great speakers relative to what you can afford and the fact that not everyone has huge rooms to fit massive speakers.

Splitting the difference between Tyson's question in the original post and Kinger's approach to the same question :-

The Vaughn Pinot is the very first speaker that I've been exposed to and which I am enjoying so throughly and completely, that I would not hesitate upgrading within the line.

That would mean selling my Vaughn Pinot floorstanders and moving to the Vaughn Cabernet.

Per Kinger's post, very doable (though with some financial pain) and a fit and synergy with my room and system level.

For photographs and more info on the Cabernet:

http://www.stereomojo.com/Onix%20XCD-50%20and%20XIA160%20review/XCD-50ReferenceCDPlayerReview.htm

Wasatch

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2011, 01:33 am »
Joseph Audio Pulsars...

I've heard some very good things about these. Will get a chance to listen to them tomorrow.

groovybassist

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jan 2011, 01:38 am »
I thought the Pulsars were one of the bright spots at RMAF - great speakers (the Ayre electronics driving them were no slouches either).

Freo-1

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jan 2011, 01:43 am »
Legacy Audio Whisper.  An incredible speaker:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/806legacy/

Wasatch

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jan 2011, 01:53 am »
I thought the Pulsars were one of the bright spots at RMAF - great speakers (the Ayre electronics driving them were no slouches either).

I also heard they sound very nice with Manley gear.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #25 on: 21 Jan 2011, 02:10 am »
I've heard some very good things about these. Will get a chance to listen to them tomorrow.

If I had the loot, the would have been purchased long ago...

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
« Reply #26 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:54 am »
I would want a pair of legacy audio xd speakers.  I've liked the whispers every time I've heard them and feel they are some of the best.

I own a pair of Whispers from the 1998-1999 era.  I bi-amp them with a pair of Legacy 800-watt monoblocs on the bottom and the Legacy Hi-Current A/AB amp on the top.  Amazing, amazing open sound considering the age...I have heard the XD speakers.  They are indeed top notch.  But for the price it would cost me to get them, I'll keep my current Whispers.   :D

Legacy Whisper Front Left/Right
Legacy Focus Center
Legacy Victoria and Studio Surrounds
Grover Huffman Cables

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #27 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:03 am »
For me, it's Richard Vandersteen's model 5a loudspeakers. The refineness of these loudspeakers have permenantly left their imprint on me (as did the $16K pricetag).  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

john1970

« Reply #28 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:13 am »
B&W 800D in its current version:

Donald

« Reply #29 on: 30 Apr 2011, 11:18 pm »
Purchased a pair of Legacy Audio Whisper XD's last December. Traded in a set of original Focus. I can say I have not heard a speaker yet that I has given me the upgrade bug. The Adam Tensor powered by Accuphase at the audio show in Atlanta sounded really good as did the Scaena powered by the large Tube BAT's. However, not sure either one sounded any better overall than my XD's.

I will come across one someday. Just haven't yet.

Stereomojo review: http://stereomojo.com/Legacy%20WhisperXD%20Review.htm/LegacyWhisperXDReview.htm

flintstone

« Reply #30 on: 30 Apr 2011, 11:37 pm »
Well, I own Apogee Duetta Signatures......so I'm not sure, but I do know it would be the best dipole I could afford. (probably Soundlab).

Dave

TONEPUB

« Reply #31 on: 1 May 2011, 02:17 am »
Sonus Faber Strad's....

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #32 on: 1 May 2011, 02:46 am »
The big Maggies, and while we are dreaming, if I had the room and could afford a second system dedicated just to acoustic music, Quad ESL's.

TomS

« Reply #33 on: 1 May 2011, 02:53 am »
TAD Ref1 and Monitors

TONEPUB

« Reply #34 on: 1 May 2011, 03:19 am »
I'll second the motion on the Quads!

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #35 on: 1 May 2011, 05:08 am »
I'll second the motion on the Quads!

Many years ago, I came THIIIIIS close to buying a pair -- the deal got axed due to WAF -- first wife said "Well, they are kind of big, clunky, and ugly looking, aren't they?!

Well, yes, yes, and yes, but LISTEN TO HOW THEY SOUND!!!!

Sigh.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #36 on: 1 May 2011, 06:02 am »
The best system I ever heard was at the House of Stereo in Jacksonville, FL, circa 1994. They were playing the mack daddy Magnepan 20's with some really high-end gear and the sound was magnificent. I've heard many systems with the 3.6's, and when done right, they can get fairly close to the 20's. Harry Pearson says the new 3.7's are even better than the 3.6's. I haven't heard them (yet), but would consider them my favorite as I want them more than any other loudspeaker I can think of (in a real-world price range). Anything outside of what I can afford doesn't excite me. My next speakers will be Magnepan, most likely the new 1.7's.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #37 on: 1 May 2011, 11:20 am »
Honestly, if the speakers cost too much I'd feel guilty (even if given to me).  My current babies run about $2600 with EnABLing and DEQ and really push my values.  So I'd give a +3 for the Fritz Carbon Fibers, especially by themselves in a small room.

bummrush

« Reply #38 on: 1 May 2011, 05:34 pm »
Nice review of Fritz on Stereotimes

kevinh

« Reply #39 on: 1 May 2011, 06:08 pm »
Sound Lab Majestic

Heard the Sound Labs best planar speaker by far that I have heard.

GedLee Summa

Have had the opportunity to hear them. Reading about how Earl approaches them they are well designed and engineered.

Duke was  a dealer for both the Sound Labs and the GedLee's which I find interesting before he designed his own speakers.