Ever notice that most high(er) end speakers have this in common...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

Great stuff, Russell.  Thanks for the insight.  Looks like the NS-10 has some redeeming values after all.  I remember Danny Ritchie came up a modified crossover for the NS-10, and said that the results were pretty noteworthy.

Lots of good and interesting feedback so far.  There certainly are a lot of approaches to speaker designs.  The single driver approach has its ardent supporters.  Haven't heard one yet that I would consider owning, but remain open to the concept.  There certainly are advantages to having no crossover.  Realistically, using subs with single drivers has some appeal. 

This is one speaker that I am keen to audition:

http://www.sourcespeaker.com/Coherentpulse61a.html

Any thoughts?
The tweeter have a head piece!
It will prevent vertical dispersion.
The cap is removable?

Wallacefl

Actually, there is some indication that Alan Loft is actually out of touch with the recording world in this article.
The Yamaha NS10 phenomenon was in no way confined to the 80s. It is still seen in most of the bigger studios, and not just because it has become a familiar standard. None of the brands he mentions as commonly seen in European/British recording studios are in fact commonly seen or spoken of except for Tannoy, and those in a very limited way. More common now are ATC, PMC, Neumann/K+H, PSI, Geithain, Quested and, in Britain, Harbeth. Dynaudio is fairly common and, for a while, B&W 801s were seen—but almost never Spendor, Rogers and KEF which were named.
Recently, Amphion has surged in popularity as a mixing and even mastering tool.

I understand why they were not mentioned, but PSB really does deserve a mention in my opinion as a potentially reference grade speaker, dollar for dollar. Paul S Barton has been making speakers since the early 70s, all of which have been notable for their tonal veracity.

Reference speakers generally need to  be able to play quite loud with low distortion even if they are not used that way - many good engineers mix and master at surprisingly low spl levels. This can be accomplished either with high power handling (and low thermal compression) or high-ish sensitivity. The need to play loud and clear is to do with the requirement for dynamic freedom, so that judgements can be made with regard to dynamic effects, like compression and limiting. Very sensitive (say, 95 dB/W and above) and simultaneously accurate speakers are very rare these days.

The speaker needs to have low self noise, that is, a brief impulse should result in an output which quickly and cleanly returns to zero. This enables subtle sounds, such as the tail end of reverbs and the recording room or hall to be heard.

Finally, a reference grade speaker needs to possess very flat amplitude response, ideally slightly downward tilting, both on axis and across a reasonably wide arc horizontally and, ideally again, vertically, along with good phase accuracy.

This is performance to which most consumer grade speakers in the world aspire but miss in various ways and to varying degrees. The point is, though, that a reference, by performing in an accurate way in all these areas will provide a window into the mean of all of the world's lesser speakers and a recording mixed and mastered on a reference grade speaker will sound as intended on more consumer grade speakers than if the reference speaker had some characteristic anomaly of its own.

This eliminates most of the Wilsons which really do not measure well...................but the above points to> JBL M2

Russell Dawkins

^^ :scratch:

srb

^^ :scratch:

I guess he liked what you had to say so much, he quoted your reply for all to see again, as if to say "+1"  :scratch: ;)

Russell Dawkins

Ahh... now I see it. Wallacefl added "...................but the above points to> JBL M2" to the end of my post.

I agree...all of that does lead to the M2 (which would probably destroy any similarly-priced speaker aimed at the domestic market), but also to the smaller, cheaper siblings: the LSR 705i and LSR 708i:
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/7-series#.Vf87B87gzcE

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Have been looking at the Princeton study and am having a hard time figuring out what conclusion is supposed to be drawn.  I've read Geddes and Duke's stuff and follow most of what they're saying, but the Princeton link is just data (numbers that I can't correlate to the graphs and some of high scoring speakers that really seem to beam - which I thought was bad).  What also confuses me is that one of speakers tested, the $340/pair Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE are well regarded (I own and love the original) tested poorly.

BTW Russell I see that the JansZen zA1.1 you like scores quite well.

The JBL LSR 705i/708i are passive/external bi-wireable (what a bother).

srb

Ahh... now I see it. Wallacefl added "...................but the above points to> JBL M2" to the end of my post.

It would be beneficial to all to proofread posts to make sure that any reply text appears separately outside of the quoted block.  You see this way too often.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Have been looking at the Princeton study and am having a hard time figuring out what conclusion is supposed to be drawn.  I've read Geddes and Duke's stuff and follow most of what they're saying, but the Princeton link is just data (numbers that I can't correlate to the graphs and some of high scoring speakers that really seem to beam - which I thought was bad).  What also confuses me is that one of speakers tested, the $340/pair Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE are well regarded (I own and love the original) tested poorly.

JLM,

See my answer here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137079.0

Best,
Anand.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
JLM,

See my answer here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137079.0

Best,
Anand.

Yes, I've read that thread and am still confused.  How much directivity is best?  (A limit of 45 degrees off axis limits first reflections, but much less would eliminate them altogether and ruin the spaciousness that room effects can provide.)  Even seems like Geddes and LeJeune disagree (at least in the vertical axis).  The Princeton study ranks ESL's at the top (most directive), but that's not the best is it?  One of the downfalls of my speakers (using a whizerless 8 inch single driver) is the high frequency beaming, yet that's exactly what many of the Princeton study speakers shows.

Russell Dawkins

Well, I'm not sure how to extract all the meaning those measurements must contain, either, but it looks like the zA1.1 shows well in that there are fewer abrupt variations in directivity, from LF to HF than perhaps any other speaker shown on the list. In fact I see a very smooth transition from LF to HF with no obvious discontinuities. At the same time I see a speaker more highly directional in the HF than almost any other, and I'm not sure that's so desirable in that I think that implies the room sound will be very dull. What I don't understand is the relative importance of smooth transition of directivity as it narrows vs the degree of directivity towards the HF end. My not-so-well-informed expectation would be that a speaker with these characteristics would work well as a nearfield/midfield (3-7') monitor toed in so the axis crossed in front of the listening position, lending a slightly wider listening window, and capitalizing on the directivity.

I think it is assumed that the JBL 705/708 would appeal only to the most serious engineer who would be willing to go the extra mile or two for very fine monitoring quality. That extra mile includes the complexity not only of specific amplifier requirements, but also a recommended BSS processor to provide the 6th order crossovers and (optionally) the room equalization. I think the M2 and the 705/708 are all attempts by JBL to compete at the very highest professional level. The 7 series, moreover, I think is intended for use with a sub or as surrounds with the M2 as mains. They are all intended to be used with Crown amplifiers. What's not clear to me is whether they have their own internal crossovers for use with other amplifiers, but I haven't bothered to pursue this since I am not in the market for any of them - out of my price range!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
It would be beneficial to all to proofread posts to make sure that any reply text appears separately outside of the quoted block.  You see this way too often.

THAT'S TRUE!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I think part of why highly directional upper frequencies sound good in a room is because high frequencies 'light up' a room in a way that mids and bass don't.  With wide dispersion high frequency designs the need for absorptive room treatments becomes critical.  Remember, you are hearing the speakers plus the room, together. 

Steve

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/articles/yamahans10.htm

Hmmmm. So is it also ok to have a 6khz resonance problem in one's playback speakers?

What about recording studio electronics being of questionable design/parts quality, but because of complexity, high price?
Voices may pass through 100 transistors or more, through mixing etc, before the final destination, the cd, or LP.

So do any or all of these affect, or lessen, the natural quality of the recordings?

Cheers
Steve

« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2015, 05:47 pm by Steve »

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Over the years, it seems that the majority of the speakers considered as "reference" are of low to moderately low efficiency? 

.... So, wanted to start a discussion as to the factors that drive this issue.

If box size and bass extension are critical factors, then a lower efficiency speaker (and/or a 4-ohm speaker) will generally outperform a higher efficiency (and/or higher impedance) speaker in that particular area.  But that does not mean these low efficiency/low impedance speakers are necessarily better in any other areas.

Case in point:  Magico.  Most of their speakers are premier examples of the low efficiency/low impedance paradigm.  But, what about their top-of-the-line model??  Guess what - over all but the bottom two octaves, it's a 110 dB, 16 ohm HORN!! 

Let's mull over the implications of this a bit, assuming for the moment that Alon Wolf really knows what he's doing:  If we're no longer constrained by box size, all of a sudden the advantages shift to the opposite end of the spectrum!   

So I would agree with the observation that most speakers considered as "reference" are of low to moderate efficiency, but would not accept this as evidence that that's the ideal way to do things once the box size requirement is relaxed.  Nor, apparently, would the guy whose speakers are arguably the dominant brand in the "reference" category. 

It does seem pretty challenging to make a high efficiency speaker that performs as well as many of the better low efficiency models.

Personally, I think I'd have a harder time building a really high performance low-efficiency speaker in most price ranges, but then obviously those more compact boxes that go really deep are what the market wants.   

a.wayne

Are we discussing sensitivity or efficiency ....

Duke

• Industry Contributor

Speaking only for myself here, I used efficiency because that's what the original post referred to.  Given the context, it didn't seem to me like there was a need to explicitly bring voltage sensitivity into the discussion. 

But I could be wrong.  Am I'm missing something?

Freo-1

Speaking only for myself here, I used efficiency because that's what the original post referred to.  Given the context, it didn't seem to me like there was a need to explicitly bring voltage sensitivity into the discussion. 

No, I don't think so. 

a.wayne

Not to the OP, but others were mixing in sensitivity with efficiency . Since most low efficiency designs use multiple drivers they tend to have lower distortion and better transient attack , with increased  sensitivity, hence why most pursue. BTW the magico speaker you mentioned is an hybrid of sorts with a mix of both high and low sensitivity units ...   

High powered amplfiers are not that  scarce .. :)

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted

isn't that the same thing???... :lol:

Duke

• Industry Contributor
Since most low efficiency designs use multiple drivers they tend to have lower distortion and better transient attack , with increased  sensitivity, hence why most pursue.

The benefits of greater cone area, higher total motor strength, and higher thermal capacity aren't limited to low efficiency designs that use two woofers in parallel. 

BTW the magico speaker you mentioned is an hybrid of sorts with a mix of both high and low sensitivity units ...

Medium to low efficiency often makes sense for a subwoofer system, even in a room that can accommodate the Magico Ultimates.

High powered amplfiers are not that  scarce .. :)

No, but there is less hidden amplifier cost for a medium or high efficiency speaker, and there can be sonic downsides to putting a lot of wattage into a speaker.