The Truth About Mega Price Loudspeakers

TONEPUB

Re: The Truth About Mega Price Loudspeakers
« Reply #80 on: 24 Jul 2012, 12:30 am »
Many people who buy mega buck loudspeakers may not be audiophiles, so their reasons for purchasing high end audio equipment are likely to be quite different than ours. I doubt that the guy buying a pair of $150,000 speakers is gonna tweak or mod out his gear, spend countless hours determining the best placement, obsess over burn-in, search the forums for input and ideas, call his buddies over to conduct crude AB tests, read the latest issue Affordable Audio, search audiogon for the best deals, etc. For them, it's all about status. Sound quality may not be a major factor. And, of course, they aren't concerned about getting value for the dollar.

Let's face it -- if any of us had mega bucks to spend on audio, a significant part of our purchasing decision would be based on aesthetics. Personally, I'd buy a pair of the biggest tube monoblocks I could find, and sound quality would be a secondary consideration because I would assume they'd sound great because of the price.

How are you so certain that you know what everyone's motivation is for buying what they buy?

Based on the people I know (myself included) that have very high end systems, I'd pretty much say you are wrong on all counts.  The person buying 150k speakers doesn't WANT to mod them and isn't looking to Affordable Audio for guidance.  I've never met anyone that has just crashed in through the ceiling with 150k speakers (which doesn't mean there isn't some of that out there), they all work up to it, just as you would any other hobby.

Why are you so convinced that someone with a very high end system isn't just as enthusiastic about all of the same aspects that you are?

Buying hifi is NOT a status purchase.  Cars, cameras, houses, watches, etc etc are status symbols.  Tell someone you drive a Porsche 911 and they think you are successful, tell someone you own a $150k pair of speakers and they think you should be locked up.

Your knowledge of very high end audio, the people that own it and the people that make it is sadly lacking.

If making expensive speakers is SO EASY, why have I NEVER heard a decent pair of DIY speakers?  And I've heard a lot.  Screwing a lowther driver into a box doesn't count.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #81 on: 24 Jul 2012, 12:37 am »
There ya go.
I understand fullrangeman; he doesn't like the over emphasized high frequency some tweeters provide. I'm another that doesn't enjoy a tipped up frequency response. It doesn't sound natural at all to me and actually makes me uncomfortable.
Thanks Timind, I was unable to express my personal preference on the speaker timbre, but this is exactly what I though.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #82 on: 24 Jul 2012, 12:45 am »
I don't enjoy a tipped-up high end either- at least long-term; like a tipped-up midbass, it is something that can "grab" you at first but becomes tiresome quickly. But I have heard many systems, including some that weren't all that expensive, that didn't have the problem.
A usual tweeter dont spread the hi freq on the room, the sound is beamed and start to sound Tss, Tss, to the brain.
I was told it is need to change with the phase at the crossover to the tweeter sound natural.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #83 on: 24 Jul 2012, 12:48 am »
...near perfect huh?....and then I guess we would then have that those near perfect drivers put into a near perfect cabinet connected to near perfect equipment and placed in a near perfect room.....and voila, near perfect sound...gee that sounds so darn simple its a wonder no one has done that yet. :duh:... :lol: :lol: :lol:

...though as long as we are on this tack would be wonderful for you to clearly define near and perfect....as opposed to say, real, as in the real world...

Cheers

blutto
...though as long as we are on this tack would be wonderful for you to clearly define near and perfect....as opposed to say, real, as in the real world...

Near perfect=Not perfect.
Perfect=Just like music, Real music.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #84 on: 24 Jul 2012, 01:03 am »
I've noticed the trend around here lately is defending high prices and veblen goods. That is a turnaround for AC, as it's been over the years. You might expect the economy would spur the opposite view.
I also surprised by these various post defending these hi prices, maybe AC own a hi ratio of milionaires in the membership... I know some rich people and they are all very miserly.
Looks these defenders are AC members from North America, and those brands on Polymer list are USA Hi-End brands.

Andre2

« Reply #85 on: 24 Jul 2012, 01:06 am »
I also surprised by these various post defending these hi prices, maybe AC own a hi ratio of milionaires in the membership... I know some rich people and they are all very miserly.
Looks these defenders are AC members from North America, and those brands on Polymer list are USA Hi-End brands.

These are not high prices.  These are prices necessary for companies to bring up a profit and stay in business.  Did you read the thread of the price of a cow vs the price of a picanha on your table?

Early B.

« Reply #86 on: 24 Jul 2012, 01:28 am »
Buying hifi is NOT a status purchase.  Cars, cameras, houses, watches, etc etc are status symbols.  Tell someone you drive a Porsche 911 and they think you are successful, tell someone you own a $150k pair of speakers and they think you should be locked up.

I doubt seriously that wealthy people think their peers should be locked up for spending a lot of money on audio gear. It's the broke guys on these forums that believe it's outrageous.   

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #87 on: 24 Jul 2012, 01:44 am »
I buy big, very expensive cameras*, and far as I am concerned they are just tools that let me do things that mere mortals can't. 

The fact that they are the biggest, baddest toys on the playground is a bonus.  That women flock to me, men shrink at my sight, and crowds part when I approach is the icing on the cake.  :thumb:

*try having high-end audio and pro-level cameras as your hobbies.  Good way to starve. :lol:

WGH

« Reply #88 on: 24 Jul 2012, 01:48 am »
Un-compressed drum recordings are hard to find.

"Dynamic Drums", the last track on the free Legacy Audio Music Sampler Volume 1 is a killer un-compressed drum track, I got my CD in the Legacy room at RMAF.

A review and where to get a copy of the CD: http://thevinylanachronist.blogspot.com/2012/05/great-little-music-sampler-from-legacy.html

AC members can download the Dynamic Drums track here.

Wayne

Early B.

« Reply #89 on: 24 Jul 2012, 01:57 am »
There's always a subgroup of knowledgeable persons who will eschew the high end. Lots of mechanics, for example, will frown at those who buy a Lexus because it basically has a Toyota engine in it. Most consumers are not aware of that; nevertheless, they're willing to pay a substantial premium for luxury options and the status of owning a Lexus. Likewise, in audio, there are lots of audiophiles who assess the value of a pair of $150,000 speakers based on its parts (and sometimes how it sounds), then scratches their heads and wonder why anyone would be crazy enough to spend that kind of money on speakers. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #90 on: 24 Jul 2012, 02:06 am »
If it's so easy and so profitable, maybe you should start a speaker company and get rich instead of whining about how others are doing it ;)
Iam against these high profit margins, with the world wide economy in low rate the new rule is chinese prices, if you want sell the product.

P.S.:
Not easy to find buyers to these speakers now adays, even in USA.

PRELUDE

« Reply #91 on: 24 Jul 2012, 02:08 am »
  If making expensive speakers is SO EASY, why have I NEVER heard a decent pair of DIY speakers?  And I've heard a lot.  Screwing a lowther driver into a box doesn't count.
Maybe you are not lucky enough,but how could you hear a decent pair of DIY speakers if you have publisher or you are a reviewer,manufacture or dealer?It wont be beneficial for you so most likely they will always sounds dull to your ear.
If the goal is sound quality and dynamic headroom and reducing distortion,then why we cannot go out there and find a reasonably priced active system?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #92 on: 24 Jul 2012, 02:10 am »
These are not high prices.  These are prices necessary for companies to bring up a profit and stay in business.  Did you read the thread of the price of a cow vs the price of a picanha on your table?
You almost convinced me, if I were rich I would accept these prices, you are a good salesman. :thumb:

blutto

« Reply #93 on: 24 Jul 2012, 02:22 am »

Near perfect=Not perfect.
Perfect=Just like music, Real music.

....do keep in mind that the set defined by the term not perfect also includes the term imperfect...so you are putting forth an argument that is based on imperfect drivers...wouldn't be how I would frame a position but if you think that is cool so be it...so good luck with that...

Cheers

blutto

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #94 on: 24 Jul 2012, 02:26 am »
JLM, the slick approach, which eliminates bass EQ and results in non-resonant room behavior below the Schroeder frequency is explained in Adrian Celestinos doctoral thesis which can be found at this link
  http://vbn.aau.dk/files/12831869/AC-phd.pdf
So far, no megabuck speaker system I am aware of, has yet been sold with another source bass energy ie. Sub or Subs, to be located against the rear wall of the listening room.  This failure to address the inherent problems that stem from system induced resonant behavior in the bass frequencies seems to be an incredibly huge oversight on the part of "Mega Price Loudspeaker manufacturers".
Literally hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on a set of loudspeakers and you have purchased the same problem you could have had for $1000.  :duh:
Scotty

Yes, this link parallels Toole (but adds delay/volume adjustment which makes sense to me).  The rest here don't seem to understand that no simple two speaker setup can ever do bass correctly in a residently sized room, period.  Here is a link to a comerical offering (available for $1295, has it's own mike, so needs no connection to your system, single one will correct up to 20 dB):  http://www.spatialcomputer.com/page9/page10/page10.html

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #95 on: 24 Jul 2012, 02:29 am »
In the 90years I read in the late Audio mag(paper) that the loudspeaker industry profit margins were about 100% the cost price, and the dealer margin were also the same(100%).

You are mixing up margin and mark-up (to get 100% margin the iten would need to sell for an infinite amount of money). When i worked in the retail industry actual margin was 20-40%. And most of the manufacturers, i'm pretty sure, made less than we did.

dave

*Scotty*

« Reply #96 on: 24 Jul 2012, 02:31 am »
The amount of markup does not equal the amount of profit. This is a gross figure and does not reflect the net profit a business might accrue before overhead is subtracted.
Scotty

blutto

« Reply #97 on: 24 Jul 2012, 02:32 am »
Iam against these high profit margins, with the world wide economy in low rate the new rule is chinese prices, if you want sell the product.

...how on earth do you absolutely know they are high profit....and if they are, at what point in the food chain do you think they are high profit?...at the manufacturing level?...at the distribution end?....at the retail end?....keeping in mind that at each step past the manufacturing step the % increases required to keep the industry alive produce bigger and bigger parts of the final price...

Cheers

blutto

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #98 on: 24 Jul 2012, 02:32 am »
....do keep in mind that the set defined by the term not perfect also includes the term imperfect...so you are putting forth an argument that is based on imperfect drivers...wouldn't be how I would frame a position but if think that is cool so be it...so good luck with that...

Cheers

blutto
Not sure if I understand your post. The famous vintage and current fullranges are what they are, they are imperfect but the sound is good, musical and pleased to the brain, at resonable prices.
Of course FR can not pleased everyone, some people like multi-ways speakers.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #99 on: 24 Jul 2012, 02:42 am »
If making expensive speakers is SO EASY, why have I NEVER heard a decent pair of DIY speakers?

Yoy don't travel in the right circles?

dave