innovative bi-amped point source!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: innovative bi-amped point source!
« Reply #20 on: 18 Oct 2012, 02:43 pm »

The woofers are back to back, but they are shifted a bit side to side so that the baskets and magnets are meshed together as close as possible. This puts the front and back planes of the woofers as close together as possible and the laminated baffle is as thin as it can be. (Does that make sense?)

Ok, why are the woofers shifted to the side?  In other words why does putting "the front and back planes of the woofers as close together as possible" matter?  Wouldn't the offset counter any benefit from the planes being closer?  And I suppose I should note I'm asking questions not busting on you, the intonation of the voice never translates in print.

James Lehman

Re: innovative bi-amped point source!
« Reply #21 on: 18 Oct 2012, 06:07 pm »
It's purely a matter of space. Putting them that way takes up the least amount of space and assures that there is as little air volume between the cones as possible. It doesn't really matter what their 3D relationship is as long as the cones are iso-baric (constant pressure) coupled. So why not make that as small as possible for the sake of material use, box size and (lack of) compliance of air volume between the cones?
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2012, 08:59 pm by James Lehman »