$3-5k/pr, Floorstander or Monitors?

ricardojoa

Re: $3-5k/pr, Floorstander or Monitors?
« Reply #80 on: 17 May 2012, 12:46 am »
im going to trow Salk ht1 and htc in the mix.

saeyedoc

« Reply #81 on: 17 May 2012, 01:44 am »
im going to trow Salk ht1 and htc in the mix.
Looking for 3 of the same for the fronts. HT1 is a possibility, but the SS M7 would be even better.

ricardojoa

« Reply #82 on: 17 May 2012, 02:07 am »
Looking for 3 of the same for the fronts. HT1 is a possibility, but the SS M7 would be even better.

You could use 3 HT1 or 3 HTC. I always thought that the HTC could work as a main as long as the tweeter is in the right orientation.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #83 on: 17 May 2012, 02:47 am »

I have three Salk SongTowers for the fronts (plus two in the rear) and they sound great.  I only use them in a dedicated HT.  For the price they are tough to beat.

George

saeyedoc

« Reply #84 on: 17 May 2012, 03:02 am »
You could use 3 HT1 or 3 HTC. I always thought that the HTC could work as a main as long as the tweeter is in the right orientation.
It says on the HTC website page that "those that can use an HT1, HT2-TL or HT-3 for the center channel should do so".
3 HT1s would work though. I see the HT2 is available as a monitor, that would be even better.

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #85 on: 18 May 2012, 02:32 pm »
It says on the HTC website page that "those that can use an HT1, HT2-TL or HT-3 for the center channel should do so".
3 HT1s would work though. I see the HT2 is available as a monitor, that would be even better.

From what I've seen, Jim Salk can whip up whatever you want.  Gorgeous too. 

navin

« Reply #86 on: 3 Jun 2012, 01:13 pm »
I'm not real worried about reasale, I'm not one to change things very often, especially speakers. My Vandys have cost me <$50/yr so far. Not worth spending an extra $2k for something I'll never use.

Absolutely.

I jumped into this thread rather late.

Are you aware that Rick Craig (Selah Audio) has many designs that are not on his website? For this reason alone I would email him.

To those of us to whom WAF and sound quality is important guys like Vapor (Ryan), Jim (Salk), Rick (Selah), Lou (Daedalus) etc provide an excellent service by integrating their speakers into our living rooms with custom finishes and sometimes custom designs.

If you are considering a combination of monitors and floor standing speakers one option would be to get the Temepesta where you need monitors and the Tempesta Extreme where you need the floor standing speaker. The sound stage almost guanteed to be uniform. The other option could be a combination of the Soundscape C, 8 and M7. I suspect Selah would be less expensive though.

saeyedoc

« Reply #87 on: 3 Jun 2012, 02:27 pm »
Thanks, I did exchange some emails with Rick (Selah), Ryan (Vapor) and Jim (Salk).
Ordered a pair of supercharged song towers in an unusual spalted beeswing makore and a supercharged center in satin black custom made to fit in the space between the fireplace and plasma.
In the end it wasn't worth the argument I was getting about putting a speaker in front of the fireplace.

saeyedoc

« Reply #88 on: 3 Jun 2012, 02:29 pm »
Thanks, I did exchange some emails with Rick (Selah), Ryan (Vapor) and Jim (Salk).
Ordered a pair of supercharged song towers in an unusual spalted beeswing makore and a supercharged center in satin black custom made to fit in the space between the fireplace and plasma.
In the end it wasn't worth the argument I was getting about putting a speaker in front of the fireplace.
The song towers will have a smaller footprint than most of the monitors I was considering and will look better.

navin

« Reply #89 on: 3 Jun 2012, 04:47 pm »

Superb. The Seas Excel driver is very good (even if it is somewhat dated). In my view only the more expensive Illuminators better them (along with some other less known exotics that I wont get into here). I would give thought to the bamboo option too. Ascend, DeVore, Vaughn and others are already using bamboo. See link below.
http://www.decibelaudio.co.za/is-bamboo-amongst-the-best-in-loudspeaker-enclosure-material/

I live in India and Rick was willing to ship me kits with cabinet drawings. This is easier for me as (a) I have access to good carpentry (furniture grade) skills and (b) I save on shipping and handling of the cabinets (all duties and taxes are on the CIF cost so given that Indian duties and taxes are high this is a big saving).

I finally settled for a pair Tempesta Extreme for the front and S6 for the rear (for our bedroom) and a Perdiot Excel with a Excel WMTW center and 4 smaller rear speakers (for the living room) along with his 15", 12" and 10" subwoofers (with plate amps).

saeyedoc

« Reply #90 on: 3 Jun 2012, 05:08 pm »
Superb. The Seas Excel driver is very good (even if it is somewhat dated). In my view only the more expensive Illuminators better them (along with some other less known exotics that I wont get into here). I would give thought to the bamboo option too. Ascend, DeVore, Vaughn and others are already using bamboo. See link below.
http://www.decibelaudio.co.za/is-bamboo-amongst-the-best-in-loudspeaker-enclosure-material/

I live in India and Rick was willing to ship me kits with cabinet drawings. This is easier for me as (a) I have access to good carpentry (furniture grade) skills and (b) I save on shipping and handling of the cabinets (all duties and taxes are on the CIF cost so given that Indian duties and taxes are high this is a big saving).

I finally settled for a pair Tempesta Extreme for the front and S6 for the rear (for our bedroom) and a Perdiot Excel with a Excel WMTW center and 4 smaller rear speakers (for the living room) along with his 15", 12" and 10" subwoofers (with plate amps).
Smart move taking advantage of the skill in the local economy and saving on duty and tax at the same time.
Bamboo looks like a good material and you can veneer over it, but I didn't see where it was worth the extra coin. When Jim Salk told me about this veneer he had stumbled on, I jumped on it.