Loving the new BDP-3!

gdbalp

Re: Loving the new BDP-3!
« Reply #140 on: 7 Dec 2019, 02:25 am »
Hello Chris,

And I favour 5.1 audio through HDMI port, only increasing the capabilities of the BDP-3...

There are several companies that allow this 5.1 audio and here are some examples; ExaSound, OPPO, and Roon Nucleus.

When 5.1 audio is done right, it is amazing listening experience as compared to two channel audio :thumb:...

Luigi

gbaby

« Reply #141 on: 7 Dec 2019, 03:22 am »
Hello Chris,

And I favour 5.1 audio through HDMI port, only increasing the capabilities of the BDP-3...

There are several companies that allow this 5.1 audio and here are some examples; ExaSound, OPPO, and Roon Nucleus.

When 5.1 audio is done right, it is amazing listening experience as compared to two channel audio :thumb:...

Luigi
I thought EXaSound was a D/A converter. At any rate, the BDP3 also sounds great with Dolby Pro Logic Iix music in 7.1 through the Bryston SP3. I don't miss the fact the rear channels aren't discreet. It still sounds damn good.  :thumb: And, its coming from any two channel source.  8)

gdbalp

« Reply #142 on: 20 Dec 2019, 04:41 am »
Chris/James

Is there any chance of incorporating the I²S digital interconnection between BDP-3 and BDA-3 in future upgrades?

I hear that using the I²S is more accurate digital transmission method that leads to better sound reproduction... :thumb:

Luigi

srb

« Reply #143 on: 20 Dec 2019, 05:13 am »
My guess would be no.

I²S was designed to interconnect integrated circuits internally on a circuit board (which I assume is being done in the Bryston CD players) but not used as an external cable connection between components.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #144 on: 20 Dec 2019, 11:03 am »
My guess would be no.

I²S was designed to interconnect integrated circuits internally on a circuit board (which I assume is being done in the Bryston CD players) but not used as an external cable connection between components.

Correct sir!

james

auraluxstudio

« Reply #145 on: 26 Jun 2020, 12:33 pm »
Glad I found this thread! I have been looking into the BDP-3.

gbaby

« Reply #146 on: 26 Jun 2020, 01:27 pm »
Glad I found this thread! I have been looking into the BDP-3.

Its one of the best audio purchases I have made. Now I have all 2,700 CDs at my fingertips. I never thought I'd live to see this happen.  :o And, the sound is better than the regular CD.

Gumby

« Reply #147 on: 26 Jun 2020, 11:24 pm »
Regarding ripping CDs; what methods are you using to  store and transfer CDs to the BDP?   I don’t have a laptop with a CD drive.  Do I need a BOT1?   Should I rip CDs to the computer HD then copy to a USB drive?

Has anyone compared the sound of ripped CDs to files purchased from say HD TRACKS. 

drummermitchell

« Reply #148 on: 26 Jun 2020, 11:28 pm »
DBpoweramp is superb.
Chris help me set it up :D.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #149 on: 27 Jun 2020, 03:14 am »
DBpoweramp is superb.

Ditto dbPoweramp

Pundamilia

« Reply #150 on: 27 Jun 2020, 03:28 am »
Ditto2

gbaby

« Reply #151 on: 2 Jul 2020, 12:44 am »
DBpoweramp is superb.

DBpoweramp is Superb. I started out using iTunes as an importer and rarely got cover art. Now, with dbpoweramp, I get all cover art and a superb sound. Music imported using dbpoweramp sounds stunning surpassing the same sonics on the CD. :icon_surprised: I think dbpoweramp is indispensable if you are importing music from CDs which I still do as its the best fidelity. In fact, I am buying more CDs than ever since owning the BDP-3. I like the easy access to music playback in its highest fidelity. In fact, I'm listening to a CD I received today from Amazon by Oli entitle 6.Its already on the USB drive and the CD is in storage to never be played.

gbaby

« Reply #152 on: 2 Jul 2020, 12:51 am »
Delete

amsco15

• Chicago Suburbs
« Reply #153 on: 20 Jan 2021, 04:01 pm »
New member here.  Hoping to get some help regarding the BDP-3.

I’m seriously considering the BDP-3; however, I’m concerned about its compatibility with my PS Audio Direct Stream DAC (DSD).  On the PS Audio (PSA) site, there is an angry exchange starting with a BDP-2 owner.  The issue was the inability to pass 24/192 PCM from the BDP-2 to the DSD using the AES connection.  Bryston tech support blamed the DSD (per the BDP-2 owner) and PSA defended their DAC.  An attempt to get to the bottom of the issue was promised by PSA but the effort fizzled.  Does anyone know anything about this issue?  Is the BDP-3 different for some reason.  It might not be a deal breaker for me but certainly something to consider.  It would be my connection of choice if it works with 24/192 (I have a lot of 24/192 FLAC).  Thanks!!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #154 on: 20 Jan 2021, 05:35 pm »
If you intend to use USB between the two pieces then as far as I'm aware there shouldn't be any issues.  The issue with AES or BNC for that matter is the PS Audio DAC has difficulties locking to the signal sent by the BDP via this method at higher sample rates like 176khz or 192khz.

Chris

amsco15

• Chicago Suburbs
« Reply #155 on: 20 Jan 2021, 05:52 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply!!  No, I intended to use AES (PSA claims it's the superior input on their DAC, superior to USB, inferior to I2S).  They also claim the Bryston BDPs are the only devices they know of that won't work on their AES input.  This can be a complicated hobby.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #156 on: 20 Jan 2021, 09:31 pm »
They also claim the Bryston BDPs are the only devices they know of that won't work on their AES input.  This can be a complicated hobby.

That's fair, there DAC is also the only DAC we are aware to have this problem with our BDP's.

Chris

Socal77

« Reply #157 on: 26 Jan 2021, 06:54 pm »
The problem with the BDP-3 sending 176kHz and 192kHz files to the PS Audio DirectStream has prevented me from buying a BDP-3 for years now. My preferred set up would be a BDP-3 connected to my DirectStream via AES/EBU.  It makes absolutely no sense to me that this issue should exist, as I have had zero issues with 192kHz files from my BDP-1 via AES/EBU and S/PDIF coax. Also no problems with 192kHz files from a lowly BlueSound Node 2 via S/PDIF coax. This is a Bryston problem, it certainly appears to me. The PS Audio DirectStream DAC is outstanding, and from what I can tell, sales are strong. I would think Bryston would want to serve DS owners, especially since PS Audio is taking longer than they had hoped to come out with their "Octave" player. This will have the database functionality of a platform like Roon, but will also cost nearly twice as much as the Bryston BDP-3. For Bryston this is a missed market opportunity and poor serving of the Bryston community who would choose a solid build despite a crappy interface (Bryston) over a great player with more metadata than one can digest at a higher price point (PS Audio Octave).
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2021, 08:53 pm by Socal77 »

Socal77

« Reply #158 on: 26 Jan 2021, 07:39 pm »
New member here.  Hoping to get some help regarding the BDP-3.

I’m seriously considering the BDP-3; however, I’m concerned about its compatibility with my PS Audio Direct Stream DAC (DSD).  On the PS Audio (PSA) site, there is an angry exchange starting with a BDP-2 owner.  The issue was the inability to pass 24/192 PCM from the BDP-2 to the DSD using the AES connection.  Bryston tech support blamed the DSD (per the BDP-2 owner) and PSA defended their DAC.  An attempt to get to the bottom of the issue was promised by PSA but the effort fizzled.  Does anyone know anything about this issue?  Is the BDP-3 different for some reason.  It might not be a deal breaker for me but certainly something to consider.  It would be my connection of choice if it works with 24/192 (I have a lot of 24/192 FLAC).  Thanks!!

Unfortunately, I think you have to decide whether you want to go PS Audio or Bryston, since the two don't seem to want to work together.  Although I have never owned one, I am sure the BDA-3 is a great DAC, however I would not give up my PS Audio DirectStream for it to be able to use a BDP-3.  If you want to use a BDP-3 you will have to stick with a Bryston DAC or some other non-PSA DAC. If you want to stay with the DirectStream, you could go with Lumin, which I have heard works very well with the DirectStream, other streamers/players,or you can wait for the PSA streamer/player, "Octave," which (hopefully) will be out this year. I personally wanted to upgrade my BDP-1 to a BDP-3 but that will not happen.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #159 on: 26 Jan 2021, 08:22 pm »
Hi Folks,

I think engineering told me the PS Audio Direct Stream upsamples all incoming digital signals to DSD and that was an issue for us.

james