non-volume controlled second output GK-1

bartL

« on: 14 Jan 2005, 07:19 pm »
Hi,

I'm considering buying a GK-1, but I wanted to know if it's possible to have a sort of 'tape-out' on the GK-1.  I want to use the GK-1 in a sort of home-studio, that's why I want to hear and record some of the sources on the GK-1 at the same time. I hope this is a dumb question (like a lot of questions here, I noticed), so the answer can be very short...

Thanks,
Bart Lauret

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2005, 08:23 pm »
There are pre out rca sockets after the solid state section, after the volume pot. This is used for the sub woofer signal.
The signal then goes through the valve stage then on to the main pre out rca sockets.
You could add another set of rca sockets after the solid state stage but before the volume pot. You would not get the valve section in the signal path as it is after the volume pot.

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2005, 09:15 pm »
Hi Bart,

Malcolm's comments are spot on.  You can take the output from the SS (first) section of the GK1, and this has very low impedance, around 30R, which gives it a LOT of drive and a small amount of gain (just over 6dB).  If you want a volume controlled output, however, you must take it from the wiper of the control, which of course has much higher impedance, set by the lower resistive arm of the 50K pot itself.

You could add an IC buffered output which was volume controlled using something like an HA5002 from Harris, or even a discrete, SE emitter follower;  but this adds complexity and may be overkill.  Up to you!

Mal, thanks for your 100% accurate response!

Cheers,

Hugh