Short-Block USB filter

audioengr

Short-Block USB filter
« on: 3 Jul 2012, 08:39 pm »
Feedbacks will come soon.  Need to make sure its okay before I start selling them.  Here is a photo:

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2012, 09:20 pm by audioengr »

Audioexcels

Re: Beta Testing of Short-Block USB filter
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2012, 07:43 am »
Steve,

What precisely does this thing do again?  For example, lets say we take even an older Off-Ramp and use this with it.  What does it do to the sound?  I remember hearing a rough example you had on hand, and I know I heard some definitive difference, but I cannot recall what precisely it was or what/how it may help older products (i.e. say an OR4)...in other words, does it take an OR4 and make it sound closer to an OR5 or not quite?

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2012, 05:04 pm »
Steve,

What precisely does this thing do again?  For example, lets say we take even an older Off-Ramp and use this with it.  What does it do to the sound?  I remember hearing a rough example you had on hand, and I know I heard some definitive difference, but I cannot recall what precisely it was or what/how it may help older products (i.e. say an OR4)...in other words, does it take an OR4 and make it sound closer to an OR5 or not quite?

I dont know if it makes an OR4 sound like an OR5.  I think it is a different effect, more of a 3-D presentation.

Steve N.

Audioexcels

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2012, 05:46 am »
What devices do you feel this will most benefit from besides the Off-Ramps/Empirical stuff?

I think the 3-D is a good way of putting it.  Seemed to add that extra something to the sound when I heard the rough version of it.  You know how much I liked it;).

jasonyeo

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2012, 06:17 am »
Linux compatible?

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2012, 04:58 pm »
Linux compatible?

The Short-Block can be used with any USB device that does not require +5V in the cable.

Steve N.

jasonyeo

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2012, 05:43 pm »
Thanks . Will be interested in getting one to try out if the price is right . :D

doctorcilantro

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2012, 05:44 pm »
What is this device?

Any limitation of sample rate?

I have a Zodiac Gold whuich needs 5v only for handhshake.

Looks interesting...but what does it do?

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2012, 06:30 pm »
What is this device?

Any limitation of sample rate?

I have a Zodiac Gold whuich needs 5v only for handhshake.

Looks interesting...but what does it do?

Short-Block works will all sample-rates. Its a passive filter for USB cables.  If you need 5V for anything, it will not work.  Pricing is $199.00 plus shipping.

Steve N.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2012, 07:00 pm »
So it's like this then?  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96664.msg967242#msg967242

I'll ask again for this.  Measurements?

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2012, 08:56 pm »
So it's like this then?  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96664.msg967242#msg967242

I'll ask again for this.  Measurements?

No, its different.  A USB filter, not an isolator.

Why dont you buy one and make your own measurements?  They will depend entirely on your system.  This is a system effect.

If you purchase every component based on published measurements, I'm sad for you.  Do you listen with your test equipment or your ears?

Have you read the latest $144K darTZeel monoblock review in Stereophile?  Measurements are not great, particularly THD plots, but its probably the best sounding amp in the world.

Steve N.

Stephen

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jul 2012, 12:11 am »
I've been beta-testing the Short-Block USB Filter with an Overdrive DAC for a few weeks now. I compared the following songs with and without the Short-Block: Alan Parsons - Inside Looking Out; Paul Simon - Graceland, Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes; King Crimson - Matte Kudasai; Chicago - Just You 'N' Me; Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros - Mayla, Dear Believer. There were all CD's ripped as lossless files. I also checked a 24/96 file: Paul McCartney's Bluebird, and a few 320's: John Jarvis - Whatever Works; Supertramp - School; and Sting - All This Time. What I noticed is that with the Short-Block, the soundstage appeared larger; it was as if I was sitting a few rows back from the stage as opposed to half way back. Further, on some of the more 'ambient' tracks (Alan Parsons) the children sounds appeared more three dimensional - I thought the chatter was in the chair beside me. To double check this I brought in my son Michael, who recently completed sound engineering and production at MetalWorks. He listened to the same tracks then asked for Layla (Dominos version) and a Metallica song "Don't Tread On Me." He confirmed the same thing, noting that the tracks I picked were pretty ambient anyways, but on Layla and Don't Tread On Me, the effect was even more pronounced. I'll be leaving the Short-Block in my system.

Stephen

serengetiplains

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jul 2012, 06:12 am »
Steve, I've been listening to the Short-Block for several days now.  When it arrived some time before that, I was playing with some Ncore amplifiers, so my digital amplifier was out of use.  I plugged the Short-Block into this system to burn it in (whether it needs such I don't know), then promptly forgot I did so. 

Several days later I replaced the Ncores with the Tact.  The Ncores, I think, have greater potential than my Tact, so I was surprised when I switched the Tact back on how good it sounded.  Then I remembered I had plugged the Short-Block into the Off-Ramp 5 feeding the Tact, which was, as I then confirmed, the source of my surprise.

The SB cleans the presentation in a way that's hard to otherwise come by, and a little difficult to describe, though the effect is quite apparent.  The music sounds more continuous as if a layer of irritation has been removed in the listening, and by what I assume is a reduction of whatever kind of noise this device reduces.  I hear a more finely resolved ambient presentation that gives the music a quieter spatial quality ... or continuousness.

Excellent stuff, Steve!   :thumb:

serengetiplains

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jul 2012, 06:44 am »
I should clarify that I didn't use the Off-Ramp in playing around with the Ncore amplifiers.  I used a cheap DragonFly DAC.  I've had a purely digital system for a few or several years now. 

srb

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jul 2012, 07:11 am »
So, would the next step be to crack the Short-Block open and replace capacitors and resistors?   :wink:

Steve

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jul 2012, 11:50 am »
So, would the next step be to crack the Short-Block open and replace capacitors and resistors?   :wink:

Steve
I thought short blocks only had pistons, rods, crank.... :scratch:

:rotflmao:

serengetiplains

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jul 2012, 06:25 am »
Steve, have you tried two SBs in series?

audioengr

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jul 2012, 05:21 pm »
Steve, have you tried two SBs in series?

Not yet, but a good idea.  I have to build some more.

Steve N.

DaveBSC

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jul 2012, 12:23 am »
Interesting you mentioned DarTZeel. I haven't heard their mega buck flagship monos, but their standard line I thought was kind of average and pretty overpriced, impressions I've seen mirrored by some reviewers. BAlabo I thought was better on every level.

It's disappointing that so many USB audio devices rely on the 5V bus line. It's the lazy way out IMO. I had an argument with someone recently about Berkeley's decision to power the input stage of the Alpha USB with bus power. I think for $1895, they could've easily added a second linear supply.

serengetiplains

« Reply #19 on: 1 Aug 2012, 09:06 pm »
Say, I just plugged a second SB in series with the first.  Sounding pretty good.   :thumb:

I'll let things simmer and will give more considered impressions in due time.