Rookie type question re subwoofer connections with some vintage gear

kbuzz3

Hello all, I have been enjoying my “new”  Yamaha M4  amp immensely and wanted to try it with my sub. However, one of my vintage pre amps does not have extra line level outs. So my question is what would be a preferred sub hook method.

1) Get a y splitter on one of the preamps output and run one extra rca into the subs rca line level input? Or

2) Run an extra set of speaker cables from the dinky yamhama B speaker pin jacks on the M4 to the sub speaker level inputs and use both a and b speaker outputs on the amp

I don’t run the amp hard in my small room and obviously from the post I’d like to avoid using the subs x over....

Thanks for any responses to this newb question, in the past I’ve used preamps with extra line level outs and or the center channels of my vintage Sherwood’s and fishers...

lokie

Experiment and start w the cheapest and easiest solution.
Not sure if your sub is passive, so...?
First suggestion would be to run the mains through a sub plate amp that has the capabilities to do xover duties.

From there...  there are "boxes " that could be utilized to do these duties in a more "audiophile" way. A couple of examples are Berhinger 2496 or a Dalquist DQ-LP1.

kbuzz3

Thanks for the reply.  I should have added that  the sub is a Tbi with its own amp...has line level and speaker inputs

Source is a Schiit usb dac...
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2018, 03:54 pm by kbuzz3 »

lokie

I had that system at one time. Very good integration for 2 channel. Depending on your room size and listening preference, two of these subs are the way to go.

Cant you just run the mains through the amp/xover?.

kbuzz3

I’d like to avoid running the mains through the Tbi x over for a few reasons.  One...I’m using an ls35a, which is difficult to tune with a sub....and another being it requires an additional run of cables ...

lokie

Subs are a exercise in compromise but its been my experience... that its worth it. I would think this would be a good combination once you figure it out. 

Have you tried the second outputs on the Yamaha? Whether that works or not will depend on the output scheme of the yamaha, ohms of the speakers and sub amps, etc., etc.. Kind of complicated to figure out in theory but easy to hear in reality.  Aren't the LS35a's 16ohms/ and i think the subs are 6ohms or even less.

What's your source?  Just trying to figure out a way to get your subs a signal.