Tractor Recommendation

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Tractor Recommendation
« on: 12 Mar 2023, 09:29 pm »
Anyone here have any experience with compact ag tractors? I'm a bit overwhelmed by the brands Kubota, Mahindra, Branson, LS, Massey and the list goes on and on. Any that you would stay away from?

I'm looking in the 30-40 hp range as my key is the bucket can hold ~ 2K lb at full height.They all seem fine given it's not something I'll be using 8 hrs a day but do want something that isn't junk and pocket friendly.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Tractor Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2023, 10:27 pm »
The Kubota 4wd tractors are very popular throughout TX, and have a well earned reputation for long service.  I've got an older John Deere 750- too small for your purposes, but it's Yanmar engine has been trouble free for three decades. 

GeneS

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2023, 01:43 am »
   I owned a New Holland TC30 4wd with 60” bucket, 72” finish mower, and 60” snowblower. Basically, it was an updated Ford 1620. I was very happy with the tractor and it never gave me any trouble. It was a 30 hp diesel. I never wanted for more power but, admittedly, I didn’t work it very hard. Maintenance was very easy to DIY and parts were not expensive (then).
   The “Boomer” series from New Holland are also very good and feature a sloped front end so that you can see the bucket when it is below the height of the hood. Many companies feature this now, but I believe New Holland was the first.
   In my research, I had also looked at Kubota, Kioti, Mahindra, and John Deere. Kubota and Deere were significantly more money without being significantly better spec wise. I almost bought the Mahindra until I found the New Holland.
   I remember reading somewhere that there are only 3 drivetrain manufacturers for all the compact tractors out there. Yanmar (which @SClark alluded to), Mitsubishi, and the third I don’t recall. After that, it was the mfg implementation of hydraulic pumps, torque, gearing, etc.  Oh, and paint. Some of that paint was very expensive.
   Best of luck…I loved my tractor for the years I had it!

VinceT

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2023, 02:26 am »
I got a 60 hp Branson model.

Tractors are kind of like pick up trucks. Each have strengths and weaknesses. I went with Branson because they have tremendous lifting power. Also competitively priced. The engine is made by a South Korean subsidiary of Cummins and has less computers and sensors and more mechanical.I belong to a bunch of facebook groups, seems the LS and Koyote get the most complaints. I have seen complaints about all of them, even the Bransons will bend cylinders if pushed too hard.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2023, 12:53 pm »
My Dad (a life long farmer) only bought John Deere.  Said they never went down in resale value.  And we never had one break down (important when your lively hood depends on getting in the field when the weather dictates).  Don't know about their little ones.  Kubota would be my 2nd choice.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2023, 02:21 pm »
Had a Kubota 4WD for many years. Bought it used, but never gave me any real problems. Very reliable. I lived in the mountains and the 4WD system was GREAT. Rated at 33 HP, but nowhere near the lifting capacity you are after. I think 500 lbs was about the max.

I think most Major Brand tractors these days are probably very reliable. Get a list together of the ones that have the features you are after. Figure out if there is a Dealer you would prefer to work with (Distance/convenience, Reputation, etc).

If I were in the market. I’d get another Kubota with ZERO hesitation.

Good luck!

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2023, 03:06 pm »
FIL owns a "smaller" front end loader/backhoe from Kubota.  He has run that for 15+ years.  He says they are great.

Jstower

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2023, 03:23 pm »

What are you lifting that is this 2000lbs, at full height of the bucket?. You may have to look at tractors in the 40-60hp range. I own a Kubota L3710 with larger of the loaders available for it , LA682 Loader with factory cab since 2002. It’s a 4 cylinder Diesel 37 hp. It’s a 8.8 cu.ft  bucket is rated at 970lbs. I use it for everything around my property from snow removal, tilling the garden, tree trimming, mowing field, leveling ground. I’ve not had any problems with it. Good luck
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2023, 09:57 pm by Jstower »