Transistors?

Wind Chaser

Transistors?
« on: 18 Apr 2016, 10:38 pm »
What type of transistors does Bryston use in their various amplifiers and why?

Wind Chaser

Re: Transistors?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2016, 11:21 pm »
It's not a trick question. Any takers, or is this a classified secret?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2016, 11:34 pm »
High quality ones.  :duh: :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2016, 11:49 pm »
What type of transistors does Bryston use in their various amplifiers and why?
+1, good question.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2016, 12:53 am »
There are all kinds of transistors.   In the 80's the Motorola Transistor databook was the thickest databook on the shelf.  It was a good 3 inches thick.  It was thicker than the TI 54/74 CMOS/LS/HC series databook on discrete logic.

I would expect that the Bryston Engineering team would choose the best transistor, based on the type of transistor properties they need, for that part of the circuit that they're designing.

Current Gain parameters, Output Capacitance and Total Power dissipation are all factors for the output stage for initial consideration.  How they perform, in the circuit, on the test bench is probably the deciding factor if they have several different transistors they're considering.

For input stages, they would need something based on a different set of parameters.

In any case, the transistor is a single item in a circuit with many other components (caps, inductors, resistors, diodes and possibly even integrated circuits) that provides the audio signal that you eventually hear.

The circuits and the components and how they're laid out are essentially Bryston's IP.  I appreciate how open Bryston has been about how they design their products.

HsvHeelFan

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2016, 12:54 am »
‎Hi;

Bryston almost exclusively ‎uses complementary Bipolar devices in our analog circuits, with the very occasional use of FETS. The output stages are always Bipolar power devices since these yield the lowest distortion in the audio range. MOSFETS can work well, but are not as linear in the crossover region, (square law vs. logarithmic transfer function), as Bipolar devices.

It is fairly well known that Bryston uses Quad Complementary output stages in virtually all our power amps. This technique employs both NPN and PNP output transistors on each half of the output with a common driver between them, and has the most linear crossover region of any ‎output design we have seen.  In addition, it has far faster response at the highest audio frequencies so that even massive 1,000-Watt amplifiers can have the HF delicacy and transparency of a small solid-state amp.

I hope this answers your question, but please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions about any Bryston products.

Best regards,
Chris Russell
Bryston Ltd.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2016, 05:44 am »
Thank you, that is helpful. I know some designers are partial to one kind over the other for various reasons. In any case, based on my limited experience, I'm partial to bipolar transistors at the output stage, for no other reason than I like the sound they produce over the amps I've heard with MOSFETS.

In any case, wouldn't it be interesting if we could swap transistors in amplifiers the same manner some people roll tubes?  :scratch: