Re: Show coverage day 2
« Reply #80 on: 20 Oct 2011, 11:05 am »
Nice show  :duh:

klaus@odyssey

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.odysseyaudio.com
« Reply #81 on: 27 Oct 2011, 11:14 am »
Going back to some of the remarks made earlier about our manufacturing.
Yes,  the amps, the Tempest, and the Loreleis are all Symphonic Line designs.  The Candela and the Kismet monitors, and the tube phono stage are not.

As for the Tempest:  we stopped making the Tempest boards here in the US in 2006,  and only use original SL boards since then,  and yes,  they are better.
As for the amps,  we make them here 100 % and yes,  they are improved in parts quality over Germany,  same with teh Loreleis.

We can do this  for much less money in much the same way DougS indicated.  It is absolutely true that manufacturing and parts themselves are much,  much cheaper here than in Germany.  Much less,  because the taxes are so much less,  no shipping, no customs,  etc. True.   However,  can you really translate this to the Chinese model ???

WTF  ????

Again,  to reiterate everything that is wrong with Chinese manufacturing and their political, ethical, ecological, monetary, etc.  shortcomings will take too long.  Essentially,  US and Chinese manufacturing, of course is apples and oranges,  thankfully.  Also,  we don't outsource.  We hand make every single step of every product,  and I have personally control of parts quality and their origins.

Life is good......

Klaus

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #82 on: 27 Oct 2011, 12:18 pm »
Again,  to reiterate everything that is wrong with Chinese manufacturing and their political, ethical, ecological, monetary, etc.  shortcomings will take too long.  Essentially,  US and Chinese manufacturing, of course is apples and oranges,  thankfully.  Also,  we don't outsource.  We hand make every single step of every product,  and I have personally control of parts quality and their origins.

Life is good......

Klaus

Klaus

It was great speaking with you this past weekend.  I really look forward to hearing my dads amp that you're building him.  He wants to send it to me to try too.   :green:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #83 on: 27 Oct 2011, 03:33 pm »
I like Klaus.

Pez

« Reply #84 on: 27 Oct 2011, 06:39 pm »
Bob, you're the only one.  :lol:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #85 on: 27 Oct 2011, 06:47 pm »
Bob, you're the only one.  :lol:
:scratch:

youravhandyman

« Reply #86 on: 27 Oct 2011, 07:08 pm »
Pez, sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you this year at RMAF.  We seemed to be on different floors for the whole show.  But If I could let me comment on your last post.

He was joking.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #87 on: 27 Oct 2011, 07:16 pm »
Going back to some of the remarks made earlier about our manufacturing.
Yes,  the amps, the Tempest, and the Loreleis are all Symphonic Line designs.  The Candela and the Kismet monitors, and the tube phono stage are not.

As for the Tempest:  we stopped making the Tempest boards here in the US in 2006,  and only use original SL boards since then,  and yes,  they are better.
As for the amps,  we make them here 100 % and yes,  they are improved in parts quality over Germany,  same with teh Loreleis.

We can do this  for much less money in much the same way DougS indicated.  It is absolutely true that manufacturing and parts themselves are much,  much cheaper here than in Germany.  Much less,  because the taxes are so much less,  no shipping, no customs,  etc. True.   However,  can you really translate this to the Chinese model ???

WTF  ????

Life is good......

Klaus
hi klaus,

regarding translating what you do, to the chinese model, it's simply as you agree - mfr'g in the usa is much less expensive than mfr'g in germany.  as mfr'g in china is much less expensive than mfr'g in the usa.  so much so, that, when it comes to china, it's even less expensive to ship raw materials from the usa to china, have the stuff mfr'd over there, and then ship it back to the usa for sale.  which is why the furniture industry in the american se has been decimated - we ship trees over to china, they send back furniture.   :duh:

fortunately, as you also say, nothing else re: mfr'g in china is like it is here in the usa.   :thumb:

klaus, in my book, you're ok!   :green:

doug s.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #88 on: 27 Oct 2011, 07:44 pm »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #89 on: 29 Oct 2011, 03:27 pm »
Amr/dr fleckert/rosso fiorentino sienna speakers

This system is phenomenal first off. Right away they invite you to just relax and enjoy the music.  Really excellent balance across the entire spectrum. The imaging and soundstage are to die for. It feels like the soundstage is just infinite. Very very superb setup.

They are going to put on johnny cash for me. :thumb: ain't no grave. Wow full without sounding overblown. I really like the tonal balance this is a hard track to get right in my experience. A touch heavy on the kick drum, a little out of proportion. Which is not uncommon in vinyl. Other than that very solid performance.

Tyson - Last year I was again in a tough spot - great peeps, but a bright, unpleasant room.  This year, don't know what they changed, but everything locked in to place.  Sitting down, within 5 seconds it was clear this was one of the best rooms at RMAF this year.  Johnny Cash always sounds great, but rarely sounds THIS awesome   :thumb:

I spent about 30 minutes in this room listening to vinyl I brought plus some selections from Chris Fieckert. We listened to the MoFi Beatles Abbey Road from the 14 record box set released in the 80's and Oh Daddy & Gold Dust Woman from the 45 RPM remastered Rumours. Awesome is a good description for the sound although the low end bass was a little boomy and I felt the record sleeve I was holding vibrate on a couple of bass notes. The sound was very coherent and allowed all of the detail and music on the 45 RPM Rumours to be heard with emotion and clarity. Same with the Abbey Road.

What amazed me was the AMR phono stage. It was dead quiet--as quiet as any solid state phono stage I have heard and it allowed for an incredible listening experience. The best phono stage I have ever heard! Pricey too at about $12,000. I believe it sets the bar for performance from a vacuum tube phono stage. I would like to see AMR take this design, eliminate a few of the "features" I don't believe most vinylphools will use and bring the price down. It has the ability to match 23 different EQ curves, 8 levels of gain, 64 different loadings, one direct and 3 switchable inputs.

I really enjoyed my time in this room. One of the 5 best rooms I heard. Plus Darren and the AMR folks along with Chris are great people.

Laura