I am back with another project. (Listening room)

HT cOz

Re: I am back with another project. (Listening room)
« Reply #80 on: 31 Jan 2011, 04:22 pm »
Guy,

I don't want to seem like a prick and I fully support doing whatever makes you happy in audio.  However, in my mind you cross a line when you start selling speakers. 

HT cOz

« Reply #81 on: 31 Jan 2011, 04:37 pm »

During my only one week of real vacation I have once a year, I wanted to work on my N3 kit, but thanks to you guys, now I have nothing to do...

Why not build a N3S the only difference between the N3TL and the N3S is the bass.  You already have subs to cover bass.

As for speaker design being complicated, it is!  God knows I don't want to learn how to do it and I bet Danny doesn't want to learn how to run a crude risk group at an integrated oil company... Ah isn't specialization of labor a great thing!   :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #82 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:20 pm »
I don't mean to complicate anything for you. I just want to help you get good results.

And I think it's great that you want to build out some of my products for resale.

And you could indeed build the sealed box version of the N3 (the N3S) and set them right on top of your OB subs. That would sound great too.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #83 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:18 pm »
And you could indeed build the sealed box version of the N3 (the N3S) and set them right on top of your OB subs. That would sound great too.

In fact, that's what I'd be doing.  You still get to use the research of GR and are still offering something that's creative but awesome sounding.  You could easily with a little bit of Danny's help modify the top of the sub cabinet so it goes narrow for the N3 to sit on top of.  OR just buy some V-2's and be done with it.   :thumb:

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #84 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:27 pm »
After reading all the above, I've decided to put aside the N3 kit project and wait for some more money to order from Ruben (Out of the woods) a N3 TL flat pack, so I can mount the N3 kit in it.

Hey Guy,

I've got one sitting in the shop with your name on it. :thumb:

Let me know if you'd like me to cut and send an N3S along with the N3TL. Not only are the N3S's great as mains (w/sub) they are designed to be paired with the N3TL's as a center channel.

Ruben

« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 08:46 pm by Outofthewoods »

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #85 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:59 pm »
As another option I could send you a built pair of Raw N3S's with the N3's? I have a few on hand.

All dado and rabbet construction. They also have concealed 3/8" Neo magnets installed in case you wanted to add grilles.

(4) like this: (2 pair)

(1) like this:

Finished.

Guy 13

« Reply #86 on: 2 Feb 2011, 01:49 am »
I don't mean to complicate anything for you. I just want to help you get good results.

And I think it's great that you want to build out some of my products for resale.

Hi Danny and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks, but that's not the way I want to go.
OB, dipole, H & U frame and enclosure less, that's the way I want to go...
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #87 on: 2 Feb 2011, 01:52 am »
In fact, that's what I'd be doing.  You still get to use the research of GR and are still offering something that's creative but awesome sounding.  You could easily with a little bit of Danny's help modify the top of the sub cabinet so it goes narrow for the N3 to sit on top of.  OR just buy some V-2's and be done with it.   :thumb:
Hi jtw and all Audio Circle members.
Buy some V2 you said !
I already have two pairs of V2.
I just want to have my N3 kit to sit elegently on top of my V2.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #88 on: 2 Feb 2011, 01:59 am »
Hey Guy,

I've got one sitting in the shop with your name on it. :thumb:

Let me know if you'd like me to cut and send an N3S along with the N3TL. Not only are the N3S's great as mains (w/sub) they are designed to be paired with the N3TL's as a center channel.

Ruben

Hi Ruben and all Audio Circle members.
I might buy it.
I am now in the process of looking at how many flat pack kits or completely assembled enclosures I will buy from you.
There are many things involve in that decision, but soon I will be busy building that big (Castle) house for my wife and my in-laws.
I will send you a seperate PM soon.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #89 on: 2 Feb 2011, 02:04 am »

After reading all your posts; (For which I thank you) I now realize that I was not precise enough explaining to all of you what I want to do and where I am going with all my projects and with my Audio 13 dream and/or business.
It’s my fault and I apologize for that !

I have built already and enjoy one V1 and one V2, even if both speakers were not built as per Danny’s original design.
I am not as demanding as many Audio Circle members…

I have a third pair of GR Research unit, which is a V2 (Oversize Ferrari red/see earlier post for a picture) but with only the sub section and I want to use it to experiment with the N3 kit I just bought.

I want to use the N3 kit for the mid and high frequencies and put it on top of the V2 which will take care of the bass.
Like this.
AC 02

If I put it like this,
AC 01

it will look a little strange and it’s out of the question to modify my V2 as per Danny’s suggestion.

There is nothing wrong with my super wide and not very slim V2. Making it narrower, to me will not make it sound any better and only means that I have to build a new pair of V2.

I want a N3 open baffle, not bass reflex or sealed box.
I want to have the N3 to work like the top section of the OB-5/7.

There are two good reasons why I want to use almost exclusively enclosure-less configuration.
No enclosure coloration and ease of construction.
I want to go that way with all my projects and the only exception will be my entry level N3 transmission like enclosure.

Now, all that being said or written:

Since, it’s always long, complicated and some time expensive to get some stuff shipped to Vietnam;
I will still go ahead with the original N3 crossover and since it will not damage the drivers driven by only 10 wpc amplifier and only diminish the sound performance, that’s O.K. with me.
At least it will give me a rough idea of the performance of the N3.
Later on, I will change the crossover or move the drivers to a N3TL enclosure that Ruben will supply me as a flat pack, but not right now.

If I understand correctly what Danny wrote, I now need a new crossover. The same crossover supplied with your OB-5.
Right now, I cannot afford that and it will take forever to get it via my relatives, if I want to save on transport and custom tax.
Therefore I will go ahead with the original N3 cross over.

Thanks to all of you for posting your opinions and recommendations, even if I don’t always like/agree with what you write me, because it change my original plans, but it’s never the less, highly appreciated.
Guy 13 

ebag4

« Reply #90 on: 2 Feb 2011, 03:12 am »
Now you're talking Guy  :thumb:.  FWIW I did somthing similar to what you are wanting to do with the top section of the OB5.  I took the MTM section of the OB5 and put it on top of a 15" OB sub, the resulting speaker was excellent.  I believe the bass section of V2 should be even better.  Here is a pic of that speaker:

Best,
Ed

Guy 13

« Reply #91 on: 2 Feb 2011, 04:52 am »
Hi ebag4 and all Audio Circle members.
I am the kind of person that can say something is really nice, without desirying it and wanting to have it.
However, your speakers look really nice and maybe I would put them in my living room, if they fit my decor and of course knowing that they would perform as a good as my V1 or V2.
Yes, now I know !
I need the OB-5 crossover with my N3 drivers , so that they will perform as supposed to.
But I have received and I have already pay for a N3 cross over, therefore, for now, I have to live with that and my project will go on.
I will accept the reduce sound quality and later on, I will buy a OB-5 cross over, unless Danny want to send me right now one OB-5 cross over at a very, very special low price.
No.
Well, that's what I thought !
So, I will build my N3 with the original cross over and put it on top of my already completed and paid for V2.
Thanks.
Guy 13

HT cOz

« Reply #92 on: 2 Feb 2011, 03:24 pm »
Look at page 2 of this thread. www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84563.20

Danny outlines in detail what you would need to do to get those drivers to work in that configuration.  Notice that he states that it was too difficult to offer to the DIY market and ultimately the V series was born out of this work.  It is worlds easier to build a V than building something like that prototype.

I think you are better off doing something like the OB2X that Al at Raw had //www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=41861.0 It takes a lot fewer drivers to get low enough to cross over to your sub.

I'm not sure running the N3 in OB with 10 watts won't harm the drivers?  Do they not sell caps, resistors, and inductors in Vietnam?  Maybe you could get a schematic and purchase your own local parts?

Good Luck

Robert

Danny Richie

« Reply #93 on: 2 Feb 2011, 03:48 pm »
Guy,

There is nothing in the N3 crossover to pull any of the low frequency off of those woofers. If you play them in free air with that crossover then any really low frequency information will bottom out the woofers with as little as 10 watts or less. A good 20Hz note might bottom them out with 5 watts.

If you need me to then I will work up you a deal for an OB-5 crossover with the least expensive parts that I carry.

Guy 13

« Reply #94 on: 3 Feb 2011, 02:45 am »
Guy,

There is nothing in the N3 crossover to pull any of the low frequency off of those woofers. If you play them in free air with that crossover then any really low frequency information will bottom out the woofers with as little as 10 watts or less. A good 20Hz note might bottom them out with 5 watts.

If you need me to then I will work up you a deal for an OB-5 crossover with the least expensive parts that I carry.

In the past few weeks, I've learned a lot about speakers from Audio Circle members... I thank you all.
If I made so many mistakes, I can only blame myself.

I just finished carefully re-packing the N3 kit and it will be stored in a cool and dry place until I can buy from Ruben (Out of the wood) a N3 flat pack kit.
That might take a while, because all my money is now going toward the construction of our BIG house.

Therefore, Danny and Ruben, hold on and be patient, you will get business from me later on this year.

Danny, thanks for your offer on a good deal for a OB-5 cross over, but for now, I have lost all my motivation and getting whatever you will offer me, is always complicated, because I am on planet Vietnam.

Thanks to all of you.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #95 on: 1 Mar 2011, 09:04 am »
Guy,

Thanks Danny for the above crossover offer, however, I will wait for Ruben to build a N3TL flat pack enclosure for me and I will use the original drivers and crossover.
That will take some time, but one day, it will be done.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #96 on: 1 Mar 2011, 09:07 am »

Hi all Audio Circle members.
Two more products Audio 13 (My soon to be audio business) would like to offer to the Vietnamese audiophiles are absorbers and bass traps.

I did lots of reading on that subject on the Internet and found out that each manufacturer have their own way of building those units.

You can see below my conclusions (Hand sketches) and as usual, if you don’t agree, let me know, if you want to add something, go ahead and if you agree, well, let me also know…

I want to use the Owen Corning 703 fiberglass boards that most of the people use or maybe an equivalent of same density and thickness, but much cheaper in price.
I want to use burlap on front and in the back a thinner, or should I say: Cheaper version.

For me, one point that seems to be important; is that you should leave spacing in the back between the fiberglass boards and the wall so that the fiberglass can vibrate, I also want to add some breading holes all around the frame.

A : Back support thin burlap.
     Located about half way on the thickness of the frame.
B : Front burlap that will wrap around the frame and will
     be held in place by staples, lots of them.
C : Angled outside frame edges, to make the frame look nicer.
D : Breading holes all around the frame, they will be covered
      with burlap, but there will be some many, that the back frame
      will still be able to let some air escape.
E : Staples, many, many…
F : 703 or equivalent fiberglass boards, one, two or even three
     (For bass traps) two inches thick each.

Before I offer those items to the audiophiles, I will try them myself in my acoustically treated listening room and most important, I will try to find one or several suppliers that can supply me with the raw material at good prices.

I would like to offer my units at prices below what is available on the market; I think it should not be difficult, since most of what I saw was… Well, let’s say, not in my price range or not within my budget and not within the Vietnamese audiophile’s budget.

I just hope that once I have introduced those products in Vietnam, I will not be copied; well… I know they will copy me, but it will be difficult for them to get the right kind of fiberglass.
Guy 13   

Rclark

« Reply #97 on: 1 Mar 2011, 05:31 pm »
 :icon_lol: :thumb:

Can't wait to see a sweatshop producing audio 13's proprietary enclosures on wheels stuffed with egg foam and audio 13 internet googled basstraps.

Has anyone seen "Coming to America" with Eddie Murphy? Remember "Mcdowels"?  "They have the golden arches, we have the golden 'arcs', they have the big mack, we have the big mick."

Just having a little fun with you "Guy", I hope you can take that without getting a hernia  :green:

persisting1

« Reply #98 on: 1 Mar 2011, 10:17 pm »
nternet googled basstraps.

I don't see anything wrong with this.  The legwork has already been done on an engineering standpoint.  All you have to do is apply them to your design.  The internet is amazing. 

Good luck Guy 13  :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #99 on: 2 Mar 2011, 08:58 am »
:icon_lol: :thumb:

Can't wait to see a sweatshop producing audio 13's proprietary enclosures on wheels stuffed with egg foam and audio 13 internet googled basstraps.

Has anyone seen "Coming to America" with Eddie Murphy? Remember "Mcdowels"?  "They have the golden arches, we have the golden 'arcs', they have the big mack, we have the big mick."

Just having a little fun with you "Guy", I hope you can take that without getting a hernia  :green:

Hi Clark and all Audio Circle members.
As far as the sweatshop goes, I will be the only employee to get exploited. I am already exploited by my wife’s business; therefore, getting exploited once more, will make no difference to me. (LOL)

For the enclosures on wheels, there is an option available, for as little as 25,000 USD you can get a small lift truck to set your enclosures exactly where you want them without getting a back pain. (LOL)

For the egg foam, the enclosure serve also as food storage shelving for freshly laid Vietnamese chicken eggs or even Australian ostrich eggs… (LOL)

The information for the bass traps was found on Yahoo not Google…
Does that make a difference where I got the information?
No, but just wanted to bring that up so there are no misunderstanding. (LOL)

I like good jokes, thanks.
I also like constructive criticism; do you have any for me?
If I did not have a good sense of humor, I would have killed myself already in this boring country.
Guy 13