Amp box dimensions for A370PEQ and HX300 amps

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Amp box dimensions for A370PEQ and HX300 amps
« on: 12 Jan 2015, 01:22 am »
What dimensions do the boxes need to be for the A370PEQ and HX300 amps?

Mike

Captainhemo

Re: Amp box dimensions for A370PEQ and HX300 amps
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2015, 02:02 am »
For the  A370  I believe the inner cutout  was 11.125" x 9.125"    ,  I made mine out f  3/4" MDF so  12.625 x 11.625
The compact  amps  use a  167mm x 233mm cutout  so  add 38mm to both   L/W  for   overall   size using  3/4" material  ( hope thats right   :scratch: :lol:)

Will post the link in  a minute

-jay
A370  cutout specs near bottom of page
http://rythmikaudio.com/amplifiers_info.html

Compact  amps cutout specs  (again near bottom of page)
http://rythmikaudio.com/compact_amplifiers_info.html

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2015, 02:08 am »
For the  A370  I believe the inner cutout  was 11.125" x 9.125"    ,  I made mine out f  3/4" MDF so  12.625 x 11.625

-jay

Will post the link in  a minute

Thanks Jay. What about depth?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2015, 02:12 am »
I did mine 4"  and   that was deep enough ( I also used little rubber feet  underneath).  I think I saw  someone else post they  did theirs 5",   I just happened to have a bunch of 4"   pieces lying around so that's what I used.

The specs  show 4" as the drpth but   that must be  overall depth  , not  just from the  flange (mounting surface) as  like I said,  mine has  lots of room at 4"

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2015, 02:34 am »
Jay,

Thanks

Mike

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2015, 02:37 am »
Wow - you guys are reading my mind and answering questions just before I ask.  Please continue.   When I started building this sub a month ago I was thinking "gee whiz, kiddies, this'll be fun".  Earlier today it was more of "will someone please take my worthless life".  But finally got it ready for next step - norez cutting. Amp should arrive in a few days and now, thanks to you, I can have it's base ready.  Thanks for the input.

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2015, 02:52 am »
Jay,

Thanks

Mike

Are you   still trying to make a descision  (8's or 12"s) or  have you   decided and  beginning a build ? 

glynnw,
Not sure how far along you are  at this point but if you haven't alreay done  so,   wire  everything up, test,  then do your soldering before   installing the no rez, it is  MUCH easier getting the iron in there  with   a bare cabinet (you can install the no rez in the  front  half of each  driver "box", just leave the rear bare). Remember to  revers the polarity of   bo th the parallel wired  driver coil and  series wired  servo coil of the  lower ( rearward facing) driver.

-jay

-jay

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2015, 03:35 am »
Oh boy - I understand about reversing on the driver coils, but I am not sure of how to wire the servo.  I now have it as just a series hookup.  Is there a diagram anywhere?

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2015, 03:45 am »
I think I have the  PDF  here somwhere , if yo PM me your email I can send it to you.

Otherwise,    just run the pos  servo lead off the  amp  to the neg  terminal   on the lower  woofer (servo coil).  Run the  neg  servo lead off the amp to the neg  terminal   on the top   woofer(servo  coil).   Then connect the  pos of each  servo coil to each other . .  Done

-jay

EDIT:
actually, here you go, converted  the PDF to jpg for you

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Servo Sub wiring problem - I'm hijacking this thread
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2015, 08:42 pm »
Is the servo wiring right in this above picture? One place tells me to wire this circuit serially but picture shows wire from + to + in servo circuit. I have wired as per picture and get huge constant blasts of sound when powered up.  When just speaker is wired it works as expected (but of course without servo correction)  I cannot figure out how to post picture here.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2015, 08:54 pm »
Since the two drivers are reversed in direction, but must move in unison, the wiring to one driver is reverse.

That is how my Super-V's are wired.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2015, 09:14 pm »
Switching the leads to the driver coils makes the drivers move in unison. I am cool with that.  But I still don't understand the servo wiring as pictured.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2015, 09:18 pm »
The servo wiring if both drivers were facing front would be +-+-, with them reversed direction they are - ++- since the main + lead goes to the reversed driver. 

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2015, 09:40 pm »
OK I have checked wiring multiple times.  It is now wired as pictured.  No incoming signal - When I move power switch to on the speaker erupts in a constant machine gun like stuttering LOUD output.  The only discrepancy is my directions say to connect the servo NEG wire to a red/black small wire from amp.  There is no small red/black wire from amp so I connected it to the small black wire - servo pos is connected to small red wire.

Captainhemo

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2015, 11:03 pm »
You've got something  "crossed " then.   
 It's easy to get  a couple of the terminals  reversed with the  4 pole connectores   .....  if you orient the connectors so there is  top/bottom and left right poles (looking fro rear of each connector) ,  the top/bottom  stay the same on  both the male and femaole  halves but the left/right have to be reversed so that when you put  them together,  they  all l ine up

My description above  and the pic  match, and they are for a   forward / rearward  facing pair.  Make sure you have the   two reversed polairty  coils  on the same driver

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2015, 11:10 pm »
Switching the leads to the driver coils makes the drivers move in unison. I am cool with that.  But I still don't understand the servo wiring as pictured.

missed this....

Just folow this, same as my post above.

Take the  pos from the amp and run it to the neg of lower driver (servo coil)  .  Run a jumper  wire  from the Pos of that same coil (lower servo coil)  to the + on the  the upper servo coil.   Run the Neg from the amp  to the Neg of the  top servo coil..
It's still in series, it's just reversed the lower servo coils polarity to match the   lower  driver  coil being reversed  :)

Like mentioned above, if the wiring is done like this (matches the pic)  then something has to be crossed.   Take the  connectors out  of the equation temporarilly to test.   

-jay

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2015, 12:34 am »
I am pretty sure I have it wired this way, but I am sick of looking at it.  Going to take a break and watch Barrett-Jackson auction and dream.  I will fool with it more later and post results.  Thanks to all.

Glynn

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2015, 08:04 pm »
Glynn, You just don't have them wired properly yet. If you need to just call me and I'll try and walk you through it.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2015, 09:03 pm »
Got it figured out late last nite.  I was working from a drawing that included an incorrect section based on comments from an old  post.  All the recent guidance from Captainhemo and HAL has been right on the money and much appreciated.  Will post a picture in a couple of days when I get it all cleaned up.

Captainhemo

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2015, 10:53 pm »
Got it figured out late last nite.  I was working from a drawing that included an incorrect section based on comments from an old  post.  All the recent guidance from Captainhemo and HAL has been right on the money and much appreciated.  Will post a picture in a couple of days when I get it all cleaned up.

Cool  8)
Glad to hear you got them up  and running  Glynn

-jay