HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

HAL

The MS-3 and dspMusik are installed in woodsyi's setup and new digital crossover design done after we setup. 

It is replacing a Marchand active analog crossover for his VMPS RM40's for the demo.

Looking forward to his listening impressions once he has more listening time. 

HAL

Here is what an example of the dspMusik block diagram used to program the system looks like.  Each block has parameter settings to customize it.  It is a fully drag and drop block diagram compiler for the code.  Connect the blocks and then download to the dspMusik.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Nice.  Looks like MatLab! 

HAL

Runs on top of MATLAB as a fully compiled and installable system.   :thumb:

And it sounds really good!

HAL

Going to install Room EQ Wizard on the next MS-3 chassis that arrives and try the calibrated Dayton Audio UMM-6 with Windows 10.  If that works, an easy way to look at the room response to see how to setup the Parametric EQ's for low frequency room mode correction. 

Should be able to run both programs and transfer data points to the PEQ blocks on the fly.

Have one of the UMM-6 USB mics here to try out with the setup. 

rodge827

Rich,

Could you post some pic's of the MS-3?

Phil A

Rich noted it looks like the MS-2 (see the initial post) - https://www.facebook.com/HollisAudioLabs/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Phil A

So you can see the relative size a bit better, below from my gallery it (my MS-2 and I should have the MS-3 for my secondary system in 3-4 weeks give or take) is sitting on the right hand shelf next to my Modwright preamp and my center channel is next to it on the middle shelf.  The case is about 8x8 inches and about 2.5 inches high.

rodge827

Phil A,

Thanks for the info...very appreciated.

Chris

HAL

Phil,
Thanks for posting the pictures!

Chris,
The MS-3 looks exactly like the MS-2 in Phil's picture and in the link.

Will be on travel starting tomorrow for two weeks.   Replies might take a bit longer during that time, but will get to it as soon as I can.

HAL

The second HAL MS-3 and dspMusik digital crossover install is completed and running.

This is being used with a pair of GR-Research N2X and DIY subs. Being used with the S/PDIF connection, USB2 and A/D connections to a ProTools PC for mixing and monitoring recordings along with music replay in a home studio. 

The turntable setup is being run through the 24bit/192KHz A/D converter. 

The demo also includes comparison to his existing Music Server as a possible replacement.

The person demoing the unit also does recording and mixing and uses this system as a home studio and for listening purposes. 

Looking forward to dpd's and woodsyi's feedback.

HAL

Next trials will be to remote control the dspMusik using Microsoft Remote Desktop on a Surface to control the MS-3 operation. 

The user can already remotely control Foobar2000 using the webpage from a web browser.

Reports from JRiver using their remote control are also good.

HAL

Both demo setups for the MS-3 and dspMusik are now using new high performance filter software as compared to the RM50 demo. 

HAL

Sent some updates to woodsyi's dspMusik install.  He did the updates this evening.

Did some parameters changes based on Pez's RM40 crossover. 

Changed out his USB2 cable for a Virtue Audio 1 meter USB2 cable for better high speed communications compared to the generic cable.

Also changed the single ended cables for the woofer channels to balanced.

Looking forward to his observations.

pansixt

Phil,
For Sure, Thanks for the pictures. Especially the new avatar. 8) More color than the last one. Must be the Florida Sun.

Good to see the main system again. How is the sound compared to the old room? It was stellar there.

Quite the slim package is the MS-2 and MS-3 from what I see. Knowing Rich, the sound is divine. I am looking forward to the
comparisons in sound over the three units. And of course it will be great to see you as CAF will be here before we know it.
BTW, we had whiteout conditions earlier this evening and are expecting 60 MPH Gusts :roll:

Hopefully I can finagle an invite to Rim's to hear the new server. Hint. Hint. And he will be kind (and patient) enough to explain
the advancements in the MS-2 and 3.

James

HAL

James,
The MS-3 Music Server is an Intel N2600 based motherboard that has no fan.  Lower power than the MS-2 motherboard.  The chassis, memory and SSD are the same. 

There are two USB2 controllers.  I recommend using the rear ports for the DAC and front ports for the other devices.

One option is to connect the eSATA port used for the DVD drive to an external hard drive for faster disc access like the MS-1.  This is if the unit will not be used for ripping CD's.

Those are the basic differences.

Phil A

Phil,
For Sure, Thanks for the pictures. Especially the new avatar. 8) More color than the last one. Must be the Florida Sun.

James

By the way that is not my real hair color - been painting the kitchen ceiling :lol:

And seriously, the picture was taken in the Post Office :lol: - had to go there to renew my passport which would expire in 4 weeks as I may want to go somewhere outside the US in the next couple of years

Phil A

Phil,

Good to see the main system again. How is the sound compared to the old room? It was stellar there.

Quite the slim package is the MS-2 and MS-3 from what I see. Knowing Rich, the sound is divine. I am looking forward to the
comparisons in sound over the three units. And of course it will be great to see you as CAF will be here before we know it.
BTW, we had whiteout conditions earlier this evening and are expecting 60 MPH Gusts :roll:

Hopefully I can finagle an invite to Rim's to hear the new server. Hint. Hint. And he will be kind (and patient) enough to explain

James

James, have not done tweaking yet.  I did not get the system together until the end of August.  I have Sonic Saucers for the spikey feet at the bottom of the speakers that have yet to go on.  Been bugging Meitner for the new firmware so I can crawl back there and disconnect everything except one cable from the USB service port to the MS-2. 

The room sounds really good.  The new rack is about 350 pounds net weight (the old one is in a spare bedroom).  I got the rack from Klaus (Odyssey Audio) around the middle of June and by the time I got it together and figured out what was going to fit the way I wanted it and what was not it was 2+ months (it's a bit harder since it is an integrate HT too).  I have not had the time I would have liked to date as I was messing with the multiple systems and they close to done except for minor stuff.

Rich explained to me the MS-2 and the MS-3 sound identical.  The MS-3 as noted by Rich uses the Intel N2600 motherboard (the MS-2 used the now discontinue Intel 2800).  The MS-3 has no high speed USB ports which won't make a difference to me as I have powered Oyen Digital drives and the MS-2 has an extra USB port.

I just got two 4TB Oyen Digital drives for the main system (one of the 3TB ones was getting nearly full).  So now I have almost 3TB of space available for music in the main system.  I have the old 3TB drives which will be going in the room with the MS-3 (basically a back-up but since I'm anal, I have plain old commom drives with another copy and also if I want to attach them to my router at some point to see how that sounds - have Oppo players as well where I can try stuff like that)

Phil A

Phil,

James

James - here's the system where the MS-3 will be going;

Phil A

Phil,

James

This is the old furniture from the main system.  Probably going to get a wider bridge, swap out the 55 inch TV in there with a 50 inch one in another system so it sits lower (better viewing) and use one of the old bridges as a stand for the center channel.