What did you make for dinner lastnight?

Bemopti123

Re: What did you make for dinner lastnight?
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jun 2008, 10:21 pm »
Satfrat, I got my squid from a pack, it was already cleaned and pre cut. 

If I do not have that, I simply buy it whole and clean it on my own. 

The main seasoning is the red pepper bean paste.  It is a Korean thing, where red pepper powder is mixed with some other ingredients such as soy bean flour, the same sort of ingredient to make Miso or in Korea, Daenjang paste.  This red pepper bean paste can be a tangy sweet if there is a variety that comes pre mixed with sweet rice flour, while others can be plainly devilish hot. 

Going back to the squid, I took them out of the bag and I put them in bowl with cool water and added some salt to measure.  I squeezed and stirred the mix around until all this foam comes out, for some people, not too much foam will rise to the top of the water.  Then I took the pieces out and squeezed as much water as I could from them.  They are ready to be cooked. 

So, what I did was to cut up all the veggies into a 2" strips and pre cut them to be stir fried.

I heated the pan....added a tablespoon of olive oil, extra virgin, used, common or what not. 

I made sure it gets hot and I added the vegetables batch, by batch...cook them until they are almost cooked.  I like my veggies to have a slight browning in some parts because that makes them look and smell good.  I add all the vegetables in a large pot or bowl, as I stir fry them. 

The last to be cooked is the squid.  Make sure pan is extra hot, not too much oil is needed at all.  You put the squid, if you can in small batches so they do not all steam each other.  The squid needs less than 45 second to about a minute to be cooked.  Once the squid turns from opaque to soft, creamy white (with purple) it is ready to go.  Overcooking the squid makes them chewy. 

Put the squid with the rest of the veggies and get 2 spoonfuls of red pepper paste...add about 1 spoon of sugar or less, some sesame oil, about 1 teaspoon and before serving the sesame seeds.  Enjoy.

The red pepper bean paste in question:

What I made yesterday:

It is called Nakji bokum, which simply translated to "Octopus stir fry"...I used calamari/squid.

some young guy

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jun 2008, 03:31 am »
The squid dish looks great! Getting ahead of myself just a little, I made the fried chicken tonight. We had the usual healthy stuff with it like mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and green beans.

Wayner

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jun 2008, 12:41 pm »
Last night it was time to do some good old T-Bones, grass fed beef. The T-bones were lightly sprinkled with garlic powder. In the cast iron pan we sauteed up some mushrooms and in the foil pack was asparagus. The wife made a nice macaroni salad to top it off. Simple cooking,, but very delicious!

Of course we were spinning albums in the gargage while cooking.

Wayner

some young guy

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jun 2008, 04:03 pm »

Grilled beef onglet with romesco, asiago gratin and green beans.

Thebiker

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2008, 05:42 pm »
Fresh haddock enchiladas. 
Made fresh pico de gallo and marinated the haddock in it for @ 45 minutes, then baked the haddock with the pico de gallo for @ 30 minutes. 

Place haddock mixture onto soft wraps, top with grated cheddar and fold as enchilada.  Plate, add a sprinkle of grated cheddar for color and serve with the side dish of your choice, in this case it was a tex-mex rice. 

Fast and easy and the wife loves it.   :thumb:

Walt

some young guy

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jun 2008, 04:00 am »

Asiago-potato soup with fresh sage and olive oil

Rabbit rillet sandwich with salsa verde (garlic, anchovy, capers, cornichon, parsley and cilantro) aioli and baby greens on ciabatta

some young guy

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jun 2008, 04:28 pm »

Buttermilk fried chicken with asparagus, mashed potatoes and gravy

some young guy

« Reply #27 on: 2 Jul 2008, 09:55 pm »
We had lunch at an old friend’s place up in Yountville this past weekend. Here’s a few pix...

Marinated marble stripe tomatoes and baby greens with Banyuls vinaigrette

Pave d’ Affinois and Cambazola on some bread we picked up at Bouchon

...tomatoes added

...greens added, Black Forest ham going down

Ready to eat!

Apples, figs and raspberries from the back yard.

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #28 on: 15 Oct 2008, 10:32 am »
Lazy post football/soccer 2 minute stirfry.

beansprouts
scallions
bell pepper
carrot
oyster mushroom
green pak choi
mange tout

all sliced and then added sherry, hoisin, sesame oil, five spice and soy sauce.

Nick.

soundbitten1

« Reply #29 on: 15 Oct 2008, 03:18 pm »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #30 on: 15 Oct 2008, 03:20 pm »
A hot dog at Home Depot!

maxwalrath

« Reply #31 on: 15 Oct 2008, 06:24 pm »
A small bowl of linguine tossed with garlic and tomatoes sauteed in olive oil, topped with goat cheese.

Red leaf salad, cherry tomatoes, apple slices, walnuts, goat cheese tossed with olive oil and balsamic.

Only took about 15 minutes total to prepare and cook.

:thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #32 on: 15 Oct 2008, 06:40 pm »
That's 14 minutes more than I would spend!

maxwalrath

« Reply #33 on: 15 Oct 2008, 06:42 pm »
That's why I'm eating tomatoes, walnuts, balsamic, garlic and goat cheese, and you're eating a hot dog. :lol:
Granted it cost about $12, but it fed two and I have lots of leftovers.

sts9fan

« Reply #34 on: 15 Oct 2008, 06:43 pm »
I made a fantastic pumkin-habenero soup with chicken sausage.  Real easy when I don'y feel like cookin.  Fresh sugar pumpkins and habs from my CSA of course.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #35 on: 15 Oct 2008, 06:51 pm »
i don't cook but i eat when cooked for

BradJudy

« Reply #36 on: 25 Jan 2009, 08:36 pm »
I'll bring up this old sticky with a quick note.  I tried cooking kidneys for the first time last night (lamb kidneys).  I sliced them up, cut out the tubes/connective tissue, dredged them in seasoned flour and sauted them in some butter.  They turned out pretty good and we enjoyed them.  It was the first time I've ever eaten kidneys (as far as I can recall). 

some young guy

« Reply #37 on: 17 Feb 2009, 07:36 pm »

Crispy skin sea bass with cauliflower puree', kalamansi-butter braised leeks and white truffle oil served with Veuve Clicquot yellow label

Dry-aged New York steak with wild mushroom bordelaise and garlic-herb bread pudding served with '97 Chateau Montelena St. Vincent

soundbitten1

« Reply #38 on: 17 Feb 2009, 08:26 pm »

Spaghetti and meatballs

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #39 on: 12 Mar 2009, 06:47 pm »
My worst dinner ever tonight:

Spiced curly Kale soup and crusty rolls. dunno why but feeling negative inspiration tonight!

Will water it down with a bottle each of Fursty Ferret Ale and Fullers London Porter and watch Hellboy 2.

Nick

PS: for some reason i actually wanted this for dinner tonight!