Feedback from the first Florida Audio Expo (FLAX) - February 2019

Triode Pete

Finally settling in from the great Florida Audio Expo... It was a ton of fun and who can't like sunny 80 degree weather over a 4 day weekend (after coming from a Polar Vortex!)!

A big thanks to AJ (in Fl) and Bart for organizing a well run show! They hit a "home run" with their first audio show!

The rooms were crowded but manageable, starting on Day 1 (Friday)!

Here's some feedback from the show!

Starting with Day 1 (Friday) Paul Elliott from Part Time Audiophile posted the following... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/02/09/florida-2019-day-one/

Some really nice profiles, starting with fellow AC Sponsor Morten Sissener from Tortuga Audio!

Florida 2019: Friday with Paul
Tortuga, Soundfield, Backert, Legacy, Triode Wire Labs, Border Patrol, Volti Audio

Tortuga Audio

It’s hard to decide where to start (way too much stress), so I randomly fell into the Tortuga Audio room.  Morten Sissener has and interesting take on an old idea of using LDR (Light Dependent Resistor) for controlling volume.  This has been tried many times before but other manufactures never could solve some of the inherent problems. LDR’s are notably in consistent and unstable.  Morten has come up with a scheme that can keep the LDR’s calibrated using an onboard computer to adjust them. Also the LDR’s are mounted on user removable board and easily replaced. Recalibration can be done at any time by the user and takes just a few minutes.  Yes this is a passive preamp, but he also has a tube preamp buffer for those who want Genalex Gold Lion ECC88 in the sound path.

I asked Morton the significance of the Tortuga name and he told me was a sailor and was always fascinated with the Dry Tortuga Islands of the coast of Florida. His speakers in keeping with the turtle theme are the Loggerheads.

They have no internal crossovers and bi-amping which he custom makes to order.

His cabling is all Triode Wire and is available through him.

He is direct sales only at: www.tortugaaudio.com.

Relationships that really sing
There is a group of three companies that have been exhibiting together for a number of years, and the sound of their rooms always get high praise and good reviews. Volti Audio, Border Patrol, and Triode Wire Labs just make beautiful music together. All three companies are very proud that their products are designed and built by hand in the U.S.

Triode Wire Labs
So Pete Grzybowski answers the “why?” question by saying it is the passion about the music.  Always going after natural organic sound. As our music systems get better it quickly becomes blatantly obvious that every thing matters. Yes, yes, yes, cables matter.

Metallurgy is the key, along with construction techniques and design along with cryogenics. It all plays a part in developing and building a cable that works with associated equipment, not to add bad things, but bring out the good.  Cabling is part of the system and a real difference.

Pete is always striving to do this in an affordable way, one that makes sense to the buyer. Pete builds the cables to order, custom, every time.

More to follow...

Cheers,
Pete

« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2019, 08:34 pm by Triode Pete »

Triode Pete

Some feedback from Stereophile's Jason Victor Serinus... https://www.stereophile.com/content/more-good-sound-tampa

More Good Sound in Tampa

Make that three winners in a row for the sound in the room shared by Triode Wire Labs cabling, Volti Audio's Rival Type II "compact" horn loudspeaker (starts at $9400/pair; on dem was a $16,200/pair with special veneer, external crossovers, Triode Wire Labs internal wiring, and reusable crates), and BorderPatrol Audio Electronics' P21 20Wpc, 300B-based EXD power amplifier ($15,550 with Living Voice 300Bs and other options), and BorderPatrol's DAC SE ($1850 as shown). Although all the "as shown" options can begin to read like the Family Dinner choices in a Chinese restaurant (albeit with no one fixed price), this system's unquestionably warm, lovely sound and big midrange were totally listenable and inviting on Holly Cole's "Good Time Charley's Got the Blues." A blues cut by Arturo Sandoval moved equally well, and displayed the same lovely warmth.

Thanks Jason!

Cheers,
Pete

Randy

I have the Tortuga pre bal. version. First preamp I've ever found that I'm completely satisfied with. It's totally neutral, no coloration of any kind. My previous preamps I eventually found to be lacking in those key characteristics, and they wore on me.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  What was the source to the Border Patrol DAC ?

charles

Triode Pete

What was the source to the Border Patrol DAC ?

charles

It was Gary Dews' MacMini Server. His Innuos ZENith Mk 3. server did not arrive in time for the show... bummer!

We still made great sound!

Cheers,
Pete

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
It was Gary Dews' MacMini Server. His Innuos ZENith Mk 3. server did not arrive in time for the show... bummer!

We still made great sound!

Cheers,
Pete

You guys ALWAYS have great sound, always a pleasure for me.

charles

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Always is right! That's why I just bought another 7+ TWL PC.

charles

Triode Pete

Always is right! That's why I just bought another 7+ TWL PC.

charles

Thanks, Guys! I appreciate the kind accolades!!!

Gearing up for AXPONA now!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

Some nice commentary by EnjoyTheMusic.com founder & chief bottle washer, Steve Rochlin here... http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Florida_Audio_Expo_2019/BorderPatrol_Triode_Wire_Labs_Volti_Audio.htm

BorderPatrol, Triode Wire Labs & Volti Audio
Florida Audio Expo 2019 show in Tampa, Florida.
Report By Steven R. Rochlin

Here at the Florida Audio Expo 2019 was a trifecta of great gear by Triode Wire Labs, Volti Audio and BorderPatrol Audio. My notes say there's something glorious about hornspeakers fed by great tube amps. There's Such a wonderful ease, natural dynamics, etc. as you'd expect from this top-flight system. Many thanks for sending me an extensive gear listing, as this way Enjoy the Music.com readers can see what's within this entire system Great room, great people who make great gear. It's great!

Triode Wire Labs
Power Cables: "The Obsession NCF", Premium Audiophile power cords, with Furutech FI-50 NCF connectors, used on the PI Audio Group UberBUSS power conditioner as well as the BorderPatrol Amplifier power supplies and BorderPatrol DAC - $1399 each.

"Digital American", Audiophile Digital power cords used on the Innous Music Server & CD transport – starting at $499 each.

Speaker Cables: "American Speaker Cables", Audiophile Bi-Wired speaker cables terminated with premium Cardas CAB bananas – starting at $1099 per set.

Interconnects: "Spirit II" RCA interconnects, utilizing Ohno Continuous Cast 7N Copper and an air dielectric in a cotton sheathe – starting at $399/pr.

Digital Interconnects: "Spirit 75", a true 75 Ohm S/PDIF digital cable – starting at $299 each. "Discrete" USB cable, a 90 Ohm USB cable with combined power & data leads starting at $329 each.

All Triode Wire Labs products are proudly & meticulously hand-made in U.S.A.

Volti Audio RIVAL
Introducing the Rival Type II cabinet style, an option now available from Volti Audio
Customers can now choose the original Type I cabinet style, or the new Type II style, both with the same great sound and same pricing/option structure
Sensitivity is 100dB/W/m 32Hz – 20kHz * Stoutly Built * Superb Finish
41.5" x 19" wide x 16" deep, 125 lbs. each
Type II Rivals Start At $9,400/pr (with one set of grills included)

Show Pair:
Full veneer option – Special Walnut ($3,500)
Full-veneer external crossovers ($2,000)
Triode Wire Labs internal wiring ($700)
Reusable crates ($300), Cloth covers ($300)
Total: $16,200

BorderPatrol Audio Electronics
Amplifier: BorderPatrol P21 EXD power amplifier - An engaging, captivating 20W/ch 300B tube power amplifier, that major's on dynamics and natural tonality.

Featuring inter-stage phase-splitter/driver transformers, a push-pull output stage, point to point hard wiring and an external tube rectified, choke input filter PSU's, the amplifier is clean, strong and potent with a liquid fluidity, excellent micro-dynamic resolution and super quiet background.

The amplifier uses an external PSU which provides well-regulated independent tube rectified choke input supplies to the output tubes, driver tubes and bias supplies and lends a stability and composure to the sound that is rare among tube amplifiers of this type.

The amplifier has no negative feedback and is housed in a copper and hardwood chassis.

Both the amp and PSU have undergone extensive cryogenic treatments.

Prices from $13150 depending on 300B tube options.
Recommended 300B tubes: Living Voice @ $1200/pr and EML @ $650/Pr.
Optional volume control $500.
Price as shown: $15,550

DAC: BorderPatrol DAC SE (S/PDIF + USB) - A non-oversampling, no digital filtering, resistor ladder (R-2R) DAC with a sophisticated tube/solid state hybrid power supply all housed in a copper case. Plays files up to 24-bit/96kHz.

Price: $995 for USB and S/PDIF variants, $1495 for the USB + S/PDIF version.

SE specification, with more sophisticated power supply and internal components:
$1350 for USB and S/PDIF variants, $1850 for the USB + SPDIF version.
Price as shown: $1850

The UberBUSS Power Distribution Box is designed and manufactured by P.I. Audio Group.

Thanks Steve!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

Some feedback from Steve Rochlin on the Tortuga & Triode Wire Labs room... http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Florida_Audio_Expo_2019/Tortuga_Audio_Triode_Wire_Labs.htm

Tortuga Audio And Triode Wire Labs
Florida Audio Expo 2019 show in Tampa, Florida.

Setting up on the long wall here at the Florida Audio Expo had challenges. With Tortuga Audio and Triode Wire Labs teaming up, the soundscape was very encompassing.

Meant to revisit this room for more listening notes yet my parents came to the Florida Audio Expo on Sunday so my last day where I usually revisit rooms was curtailed. Note to self, visit their room at AXPONA because I know both manufacturers produce excellent gear.

As a side note, it was interesting to see them using QSC amplification as well. Personally use their K10.2 powered / DSP loudspeakers mated with KS112 powered / DSP subwoofers for my percussion / drumset monitoring system (and parties / DJ / etc). Just as Tortuga Audio and Triode Wire Labs make impressive high-end audio products, QSC produces impressive PA / FOH / etc gear imho.

Here's a great listing:
Tortuga Audio Products
Speakers: LoggerHead – 2.8 cubic foot two-way ported speakers sans internal passive crossovers. Requires external crossovers and bi-amping (not included) and are custom made to order $12,000

Preamplifier: LDR3.V25 Passive Preamp – Light Dependent photoResistor (LDR) based single-ended volume controller with graphic OLED display and three input switching $1195

Buffer TPB.V1 Tube Preamp Buffer: Unity gain 2 stage hybrid buffer with Genalex Gold Lion ECC88/6922 tube input stage, LSK170 JFET class A solid state output stage and optional Belleson SuperRegulator plate voltage controller and VCAP OIMP high performance output coupling capacitors $1733

Power Cords: Seven Plus - Audiophile 7 AWG power cords – used on the amplifiers
Digital American - Audiophile digital power cords - used on the DAC $549+ and$499+

Speaker Cables: American Speaker Cables - Audiophile bi-wired speaker cables terminated with premium Cardas CAB bananas $1099+ per set

Interconnects: Spirit II - RCA interconnects with cotton outer dielectric utilizing Ohno Continuous Cast 7N copper. Discrete – Precision 90 Ohm digital USB cable with both power & data leads $399+ per pair and $249+

Supporting Products
DAC Schitt Audio Yggdrasil - Closed-form 21-bit ladder DAC $2399

Amplifiers: QSC GX3 – Pair of workhorse 300 watt pro-audio amps $350 each

Crossover/DSP: MiniDSP 4x10-HD – Digital signal processor based active crossover and equalizer with 28/56-bit DSP engine, 24-bit ADC/DAC, with 114dB SNR and 48/96kHz sampling rate $499

Music Server: Generic no-brand custom PC running Windows 10 with Roon Labs music server/player software via stock USB out to DAC $750 (estimated)

All Tortuga Audio & Triode Wire Labs products are proudly & meticulously
hand-made in The U.S.A.

Thanks, Steve!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Congratulations on all the good feedback from Florida Audio Expo, Pete!

Looking forward to teaming up with you at Axpona.  5 weeks away.  :hyper:

Vinnie

Triode Pete

Some late, additional feedback from Part Time Audiophile's Eric Franklin Shook... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/03/12/florida-2019-tortuga-audio-triode-wire-labs-a-mystifying-and-luxurious-sound/

FLORIDA 2019 – Tortuga Audio, Triode Wire Labs, a mystifying and luxurious sound

Tortuga Audio Products brought forth one of the most interesting loudspeakers of the show — the LoggerHead, a 2.8 cubic foot two-way ported speakers sans internal passive crossovers. The loudspeakers do require external crossovers and bi-amping (not included) and are custom made to order. Triode Wire Labs tied it all together with red, white, and blue.

The Story
Furthermore from Tortuga were two pieces that intrigued me endlessly, the LDR3.V25 Passive Preamp, a light dependent photo-resistor (LDR) based single-ended volume controller with graphic OLED display and three input switching, and their TPB.V1 tube preamp buffer. The buffer uses a unity gain two-stage hybrid buffer with a Genalex Gold Lion ECC88/6922 tube input stage, and a LSK170 JFET Class-A solid state output-stage and optional Belleson Super Regulator plate voltage controller and VCAP OIMP high performance output coupling capacitors. What made the aforementioned electronics so intriguing to me was the usage of pro/DJ amplifiers from QSC. I’ve heard these amplifiers countless times before in live sound venues. Bargain pieces at only $350 a piece, never did I expect to be blown away with a system that included them.

It was not only the amplifiers used in this system that broke away from convention, so much of it was the quality of the sound. Many of the usual design conventions were passed over, or entirely forgotten. The yield however was one of stand-out performance and what ultimately left me captivated while listening. Seldom to I reach to literature to read while listening, but that was the case. I needed answers, and found myself scrambling for understanding.

The Sound
“Luxurious” is a world I often walk away from when thinking of ways to describe a sound or system I am listening too. In this case however, I must remain with it. The Tortuga LoggerHead loudspeakers have an amazingly refined and natural instrument like quality to them. As if they were carved out by an Italian yacht maker. There was an acoustic quality imparted to everything they played. Much like you would expect from a live cello performance. These were large cabinets and ported, but nowhere did I hear an unwanted boominess or resonance.

I’ve become quite the fan of passive preamps lately, and the Tortuga LDR3.V25 easily earned my fandom in Florida in conjunction with the Tortuga TPB.V1 Tube Preamp Buffer. This is the first time I’ve heard a system where the amps were nothing special and the (no)preamp section and an installed tube buffer made everything work so magically.

This was one of those systems than demanded you listen for longer than planned. It was as enjoyable as it was mystifying. Many audiophile conventions were questioned here and ultimately placed in limbo. Great show by Tortuga and Triode Wire Labs.

The System
Tortuga Audio
– LoggerHead Loudspeakers – $12,000 pr USD

– LDR3.V25 Passive Preamp – $1,195 USD

– TPB.V1 Tube Preamp Buffer – $1,733 USD

Triode Wire Labs
– Seven Plus Power Cord – $549 USD (used on amplifiers)

– Digital American Power Cord $499 USD (used on DAC)

– American Speaker Cables (Bi-Wire) with premium Cardas CAB bananas $1,099 pr USD

– Spirit II – RCA Interconnects – $399 pr USD

– Discrete USB (with Power and Data) – $249 USD

Schitt Audio
– Yggdrasil Closed-form 21-bit Ladder DAC – $2,399 USD

QSC
– GX3 – Power Amplifiers – $350 ea USD

MiniDSP 4×10-HD Digital Signal Processor – $499 USD

Music Server: PC running Windows 10 with Roon Labs music server/player software via stock USB out to DAC $750 (estimated)

Thanks, Eric! I appreciate your kind comments!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

Congratulations on all the good feedback from Florida Audio Expo, Pete!

Looking forward to teaming up with you at Axpona.  5 weeks away.  :hyper:

Vinnie

Hey Vinnie,
Looking forward in partnering with you again! Four weeks now!  :rock:

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

Some Video Feedback from AV Showrooms here... https://youtu.be/XuiBpBvHbyk

Thanks, Peter B!

Cheers,
Pete