Buying new HT Setup - Need Opinions

silentnoiz

« on: 9 Aug 2003, 03:06 pm »
I'm looking to purchase a system for my HT (5 speakers, Sub, Receiver-I do not require video switching), and am looking for some opinions. I will be listening to music as well as watching movies ~50/50.

A few things I have been looking at:

1 - B&W's Series 3, DM603 fronts, LCR600 Center, DM601 Surrounds, ASW600 Sub.
That all comes to $2450 not including tax, but I would pick-up at a local store.

2 - I have heard good things about nOrh products, but have never actually heard their product. I see on their website that they have 5 4.0 Marble's for $1600. (What added value am I getting with the Marbles vs the Ceramics?). And a sub w/amp for $1000 (an expensive sub? Should I go with another sub if this were the option?).
That comes to $2600, not sure if shipping is included or will be additional.

3 - Axiom Epic 80 (http://axiomaudio.com/epic80.html). I have never heard these either but have heard good things about them.
Comes to ~$2300 total, delivered and no tax.

4 - Also thinking about either a NAD T742 or T752 or a Marantz 5300 or 7300, all somewhere in the range of $400-900. Future possibility of adding a rear center, but only a mere thought at this time.

I'm open to ANY comments and opinions, info, or direction anyone can give, including other options (other brands) available in this price range (~$3500 USD).

ThanksMuch

Sa-dono

« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2003, 05:30 pm »
What speakers have you heard so far, and what do you think of them? That way we can at least get a general idea of what type of sound you like for music.

For HT in this price range, I would certainly look at the
Onix Rocket's. They are good for music as well, but do have a warmer sound.

Other options I would check out would be ACI and VMPS.

petermwilson

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2003, 10:04 pm »
Hi,
I use a pair of dipole Axiom qs4's as my surround B for film and love them.
Speakers made in Canada of good quality like Axioms and Paradigms in your price range will give you more than your money's worth for the quality.

There are lots of US buyers that come up here and drive them back.
In anycase their both well known and respected manufacturers.

Peter m.

JackStraw

Re: Buying new HT Setup - Need Opinions
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2003, 12:59 am »
How big is your room? Are you looking to wall mount speakers or set them on stands?

With regards to the nOrh marbles vs. the ceramic, I think that the step up is aesthetic -- the marble is incredible looking. But, the horn/ham design is a little "tippy", so think about where you're putting all of these speakers.

Considering that, I'm going to get some of ACI's new on-wall Emeralds on the pre-order special. They have ports on the bottom... it seems like a great design. Once I've checked them out I'll be posting a review.

Good luck -- what are you thinking for a receiver?

Theeechosenone really likes his Sony AVD receiver/DVD unit. Look for his posts. It has a digital amp section. I was thinking about checking one of those out... another that I'm considering is the Arcam AVR-200.

ABEX

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2003, 01:51 am »
I am  a sepratist for just about everything. Before going with a Reciever consider the many fine 2 channel amps mated with a 5ch. amp for the surrounds.

You could always buy the nOrh way of adding the LeAmpII's to each discrete channel you have.

I like B&K for several reasons. You can get the stock versions then Modify them to bring performance up at a later date.

I will probably tey to use the LeAmpII's and have a B&K for the Bass for my mains and just hook-up a 5ch. B&K for the remaining channels for surround. I really am a 2\ch. type of listener also. HT is really not a great concern.

I have an old Lexicon CP-3Pro that I have not even used yet.

Good luck and go seperates! You'll have better sound! Recievers have always sounded sterile to me.

silentnoiz

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2003, 10:44 pm »
My room is about 15'x40'x14' (LWH).
I haven't had to opportunity to audition a large selection of speakers.

After much thought and research, I have made my selections:
- Axiom Epic 80
- Marantz SR7300

Once I receive these and have a chance to spend some time with both movies and music for a week or two, I'll post a review.