Something new that sounds incredible

baniels

Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #400 on: 29 Sep 2014, 10:51 pm »
The baffle, large wings, and base are all unisex. The top brace is not... It'll only work one way, with the roundovers facing down.

The small wings are sort of interchangeable. For instance one could be the top for the left side, or the bottom for the right side. The roundovers should face inward.

Dry fit, of course, to make sure everything is clear before getting out the glue.

Captainhemo

« Reply #401 on: 29 Sep 2014, 10:54 pm »
large wings would go in 

Danny Richie

« Reply #402 on: 29 Sep 2014, 11:11 pm »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #403 on: 29 Sep 2014, 11:30 pm »
For me the issue came up when I started laying out & masking off the inside of the large wings for the veneer glue. I don't want veneer where the bottom glues to the large wing. When I was ready to apply the veneer glue I realized I had both wings laid out in the same orientation and thought one needed to be reversed. That's when I decided to try something a little different and ask first.

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #404 on: 30 Sep 2014, 01:04 am »
I had a similar issue when I glued the first one up, after I had it clamped I realized I had the baffle upside down, fortunately I was able to pull the brace and bottom off and reverse.

I had a change in plans.  I was initially going to run the large side down to the floor, with the side doubled up below the bottom.  I cut the sides and temped it up but I didn't like the way it looked so I decided to build it as designed and build a separate stand for it, I am still working on the stand design.

A couple of minor changes to the base and the brace, here they are so far:

Paint can for scale, to me they appear larger in pictures that they actually look.

I was considering a wrap for this but I think I am going to give painting a shot.

Captainhemo

« Reply #405 on: 30 Sep 2014, 03:51 am »

Paint can for scale, to me they appear larger in pictures that they actually look.

I was considering a wrap for this but I think I am going to give painting a shot.

Wow, that paint can really does put  them into perspective,  I think it was Peter that did the same thing but with a cd sleeve in maybe the fourtress thread ....
If you're going to paint Ed, really work at getting the seams as perfect as you can even if it means filling/sanding a few times.  The extra effort will pay off  :thumb:.
Go with a good quality primer too, I really liked the BullsEye 1,2,3 primer/sealer I recently used on the H-frame.
Have yo decided on a color for your  top coat  yet ?

Looking good btw
-jay
-jay

Early B.

« Reply #406 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:27 am »
Cool pics so far!

Got a couple of quick questions:

1. What is the height of the baffle?

2. What are the dimensions of the side panel?

3. Once the speakers are set up, will the side panels be on the inside or outside? 

Ric Schultz

« Reply #407 on: 30 Sep 2014, 08:01 pm »
11.5 inches by 20.25 inches.....see page 14 for drawing.....baffle looks to be also 20.25 inches tall.

See Captainhemo and Danny's posts on this page.....they like the big wing on the inside.  You can do as you wish.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2014, 09:01 pm by Ric Schultz »

Captainhemo

« Reply #408 on: 30 Sep 2014, 09:07 pm »
I caught that  :lol:

-jay

rockdrummer

« Reply #409 on: 2 Oct 2014, 03:46 pm »
Hoping for stellar reviews from builders for Danny's continued ground-breaking success.  But I hope I don't get sad and jealous that I am slowly building a super v and not this LGK kit. 

Looking forward to more build pics and great reviews.

Ben

AKLegal

« Reply #410 on: 2 Oct 2014, 04:26 pm »
Hoping for stellar reviews from builders for Danny's continued ground-breaking success.  But I hope I don't get sad and jealous that I am slowly building a super v and not this LGK kit. 

Looking forward to more build pics and great reviews.

Ben

I'm in the same boat so don't feel too bad.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #411 on: 2 Oct 2014, 05:44 pm »
I may end up in the same boat with these. I had given up waiting on the X-Otica so I went with these. Now the X-Otica looks like it might actually happen.

Don't know which I'd end up liking better so the LGK Wedge may not be a wrong move. Only time will tell

Mike

AKLegal

« Reply #412 on: 2 Oct 2014, 06:25 pm »
I may end up in the same boat with these. I had given up waiting on the X-Otica so I went with these. Now the X-Otica looks like it might actually happen.

Don't know which I'd end up liking better so the LGK Wedge may not be a wrong move. Only time will tell

Mike

Yeah, I'm much much more interested in the x-otica and despite being in the middle of a Super V build, I would probably buy them anyway.  I can't see myself doing that with the wedge even though I am very curious about them and they are supposed to be better than the Super V .

nickd

« Reply #413 on: 2 Oct 2014, 08:05 pm »

Rock Drummer,

If you have ever heard the Super V cranked during a drum solo, you won't be jealous. 3" full range drivers can't have the mid/upper-bass impact and dynamics the 12" P-Audio coax has. Resolution? different story there. The neo 3 is just sweeter than the 2" dome P-Audio tweeter. But for "fun factor", the Super V is hard to beat. It is quite an amazing rock speaker. :drums:

Danny Richie

« Reply #414 on: 2 Oct 2014, 08:18 pm »
Rock Drummer,

If you have ever heard the Super V cranked during a drum solo, you won't be jealous. 3" full range drivers can't have the mid/upper-bass impact and dynamics the 12" P-Audio coax has. Resolution? different story there. The neo 3 is just sweeter than the 2" dome P-Audio tweeter. But for "fun factor", the Super V is hard to beat. It is quite an amazing rock speaker. :drums:

I agree 100%

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #415 on: 2 Oct 2014, 10:51 pm »
I'm also in the middle of a Super V being built and while I find the Wedge interesting what I'm really interested in is the X-Otica. That's O.K. thou because I need a smaller speaker for another space that is much smaller. I guess I can wait a little longer? :dunno:

rockdrummer

« Reply #416 on: 3 Oct 2014, 01:31 pm »
Rock Drummer,

I agree 100%

That's great to hear.  I suddenly found myself in that, "OOOH, the newest is obviously the greatest" feeling.

Easy to forget how good the super v is and it's reputation.

Ben

rockdrummer

« Reply #417 on: 3 Oct 2014, 04:31 pm »
Besides Definitive Technology speakers with a Denon receiver, I am making my first step into tube amps with Bottlehead and true Hi Fi speakers with Danny's Super V.  I have a feeling when I'm done, I will be loving the steps up.  Plus, I certainly have time to upgrade later.  I have heard the vocals, especially women, have a great sound on the Super V.

This Neo 3 sweet sound has really intrigued me. 

Ben

persisting1

« Reply #418 on: 3 Oct 2014, 07:12 pm »

That's great to hear.  I suddenly found myself in that, "OOOH, the newest is obviously the greatest" feeling.

Easy to forget how good the super v is and it's reputation.

Ben

I'd take the Super Vs over most speakers out there. I don't think you'll have speaker envy for some time after getting them up and running  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #419 on: 3 Oct 2014, 07:38 pm »
In the bass alone, nothing can really touch the Super V's.  Those OB servo subs are incredibly detailed and musical, and can smack you upside the head when required.  Dynamics from top to bottom are among best in class.  Imaging and detail are also excellent.  But they are not a small speaker and they need space.