Something new that sounds incredible

baniels

Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #340 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:16 pm »
Yes, I will be. Keeps the shipping cost down.

Danny Richie

« Reply #341 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:31 pm »
Will Ben be shipping the flat packs direct?

Ben will be drop shipping the flat packs directly, and then he sends me a bill for it. So it makes it real easy for the customer.

And he beat me to respond...

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #342 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:31 pm »
That makes sense

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #343 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:34 pm »
Are you ready to start shipping these?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #344 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:38 pm »
There is just one cap in the tweeter circuit. So to by-pass it with a Platinum is only $36 per speaker. Yeah, that would be worth it.

I think Jay is asking about the caps needed for the inline filter.  At one time you mentioned you were really low on certain values.

For me I would need caps for an amp with 100 ohm input impedance.

Danny Richie

« Reply #345 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:53 pm »
Are you ready to start shipping these?

Taking orders now and putting kits together. I have several to ship already.

Better be cutting wood over there Ben...

baniels

« Reply #346 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:56 pm »
Making dust tonight :)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #347 on: 10 Sep 2014, 09:04 pm »
I'll call you tomorrow to place my order. I take it NoRez isn't useful with these speakers, correct?

Danny Richie

« Reply #348 on: 10 Sep 2014, 09:09 pm »
I'll call you tomorrow to place my order. I take it NoRez isn't useful with these speakers, correct?

I need to play with a piece on the side panel, but I think the effect will be minimal.

Captainhemo

« Reply #349 on: 10 Sep 2014, 09:20 pm »
I think Jay is asking about the caps needed for the inline filter.  At one time you mentioned you were really low on certain values.

For me I would need caps for an amp with 100 ohm input impedance.

Nope, I was talking  about using  to bypass the  reg sonicap inthe   high pass (tweeter) circuit on the cross over.

Sorry,  made a mistake  with regards to the inline  filter, deleted
-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #350 on: 12 Sep 2014, 10:56 pm »
Nope, I was talking  about using  to bypass the  reg sonicap inthe   high pass (tweeter) circuit on the cross over.

Sorry,  made a mistake  with regards to the inline  filter, deleted
-jay

Sorry Jay, I mistook "high pass filter" for "in-line filter"

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #351 on: 12 Sep 2014, 10:59 pm »
OK my Wedige (is that the official name?) kit is on order as well as the caps for the in-line filter.

The niece and nephew may have to take a back seat for a little while. When the Wedgie gets here I'm starting in on it.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #352 on: 13 Sep 2014, 12:03 am »
OK my Wedige (is that the official name?) kit is on order as well as the caps for the in-line filter.

The niece and nephew may have to take a back seat for a little while. When the Wedgie gets here I'm starting in on it.

Mike

Awesome Mike, can't wait to see the build, that gos for the rest of you guys  who've ordered them too  :lol:

Did you also order the  parts for the H/U-frames to build  your  bass section  or are you  using something else to get by with , those dual 8" subs you were working on a while ago perhaps ? 

-jay

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #353 on: 13 Sep 2014, 12:05 am »

Maybe I missed it, but what solution did you come up with regarding the mid bass to sub frequencies.

Ron

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #354 on: 13 Sep 2014, 01:29 am »
Awesome Mike, can't wait to see the build, that gos for the rest of you guys  who've ordered them too  :lol:

Did you also order the  parts for the H/U-frames to build  your  bass section  or are you  using something else to get by with , those dual 8" subs you were working on a while ago perhaps ? 

-jay

Jay,

To start with I'll be using a single Von Schweikert VR-S1 sub. This is a sealed sub with a single 10" servo controlled driver.

As soon as I can I'll be building 2 of the ported dual 8" non-servo subs I was working on awhile back.  I already have the drivers and amps, just need the wood and time.  These will have to wait until I get all my other projects finished though.

Then, when I can afford them I will build 2 of the dual driver H frame OB subs.  I'm still not sure whether I want to use the 8" or 12" drivers. I understand the 12" drivers would be the best sound but I don't know by how much or why. 

Another concern is whether the 12" drivers would be overkill in a 1,144 cu ft (11'x13'x8') room.

With the 12" drivers, an H frame looks like it would put the center of the tweeter at 41". That is 2-3 inches too tall if I want the center of the tweeter at ear height. A W frame would lower the tweeter height.

I don't know what the performance differences are between H frames and W frames. Can anybody enlighten me on this? 

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #355 on: 13 Sep 2014, 02:24 am »
Another concern is whether the 12" drivers would be overkill in a 1,144 cu ft (11'x13'x8') room.
Mike, I run two pair of the 12" servo subs in my 10.5.'x12.5'x8' room and they are not overkill, they sound fantastic with no boom and I have great bass below 20Hz:

I had a choice of a suckout at 60Hz or what you see, I chose the later.  What I can't tell you is how the 8" servo subs would do, but the 12's are outstanding bass, best I have heard.  I also have a 4 AE IB15 drivers in an infinite baffle alignment in my HT driven by 2400 watt Behringer amp, I prefer the servos for music.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #356 on: 13 Sep 2014, 02:37 am »
Mike, I run two pair of the 12" servo subs in my 10.5.'x12.5'x8' room and they are not overkill, they sound fantastic with no boom and I have great bass below 20Hz:

I had a choice of a suckout at 60Hz or what you see, I chose the later.  What I can't tell you is how the 8" servo subs would do, but the 12's are outstanding bass, best I have heard.  I also have a 4 AE IB15 drivers in an infinite baffle alignment in my HT driven by 2400 watt Behringer amp, I prefer the servos for music.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #357 on: 13 Sep 2014, 02:55 am »
Mike, they won't overpower the room unless you want them to.

I don't know what the performance differences are between H frames and W frames. Can anybody enlighten me on this?

There are advantages and disadvantages to the W frame. The advantage is that it is shorter. The disadvantage is that they have a larger un-braced panel area. So they are more prone to a resonance of the side panels.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #358 on: 13 Sep 2014, 04:32 am »
Would it be better to have the tweeter a little high and go with the better braced H Frame?

Maybe elevate the rear of the Wedgie a little to point the tweeter back down?

bdp24

« Reply #359 on: 14 Sep 2014, 11:14 pm »
Would it be better to have the tweeter a little high and go with the better braced H Frame?

Maybe elevate the rear of the Wedgie a little to point the tweeter back down?
If you want the shorter height of the W-frame, you can run a horizontal brace (3/4" X 3", say) across the driver openings, from the inside of the left panel to the right. That will minimize the resonance of those panels about as well as they are in an H-frame.