Which pre/pro combination for ATC SCM11, SCM19 or Usher Mini-X speakers?

R. Daneel

Hi folks!

I am considering a pair of speakers and I quite like the ATC sound - very true to life performance. I am considering the SCM11 and SCM19 monitor speakers and possibly the Usher Mini-X Diamond model which appears to be quite similar, with a little bit more extension in the low and high end but slightly less neutral than the ATC perhaps.

I have considered the ATC active monitor speakers but the prices are prohibitive.

I am considering the following Bryston amplifiers:
- 2.5B SST2
- 3B SST2
They would be used with the Bryston BHA-1 headphone amplifier used as a preamplifier.

If your recommendation is the 2.5B SST2, then I might consider the B135 integrated amplifier as well since it's power amplifier section seems to be the same as the one used in 2.5B SST2. With the B135, I would have a preamplifier as well and could dedicate the BHA-1 to headphone use only.

However, if your recommendation is the 3B SST2, I would have to buy a preamplifier as well, possibly the BP-17.

The ATC SCM11 and SCM19 have a sensitivity of 85 dB/W/m and the Usher has a slightly higher sensitivity of 87 dB/W/m. However, these are substantial monitor speakers with magnet assemblies that are as large as the diaphragms themselves and I cannot say they are very sensitive at all.

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers!
Antun

jimdgoulding

Just offering a little encouragement.  Good choices, imo.  I listen with active bi-amped monitors myself.  One advantage using actives so I've read is that the propagation of waveforms from a concave driver can be time aligned in the crossover to marry the arrival of waveforms from a convex driver in time for a more seemless intergradation.  I hope I've said that right.  My speakers do dimensionality like few I've heard.  DO get them away from surrounding walls.  Think I would be leaning toward the ATC's and putting a tube pre ahead of them.  That's what I do, anyway.  Or, like a friend of mine, you can use a an outboard volume control, period.

R. Daneel

Just offering a little encouragement.  Good choices, imo.  I listen with active bi-amped monitors myself.  One advantage using actives so I've read is that the propagation of waveforms from a concave driver can be time aligned in the crossover to marry the arrival of waveforms from a convex driver in time for a more seemless intergradation.  I hope I've said that right.  My speakers do dimensionality like few I've heard.  DO get them away from surrounding walls.  Think I would be leaning toward the ATC's and putting a tube pre ahead of them.  That's what I do, anyway.  Or, like a friend of mine, you can use a an outboard volume control, period.

Hi!

Which active monitors are you using and how big is your listening room?

Cheers!
Antun

PRELUDE

Hi folks!

I am considering a pair of speakers and I quite like the ATC sound - very true to life performance. I am considering the SCM11 and SCM19 monitor speakers and possibly the Usher Mini-X Diamond model which appears to be quite similar, with a little bit more extension in the low and high end but slightly less neutral than the ATC perhaps.

I have considered the ATC active monitor speakers but the prices are prohibitive.

- 2.5B SST2
- 3B SST2
They would be used with the Bryston BHA-1 headphone amplifier used as a preamplifier.

If your recommendation is the 2.5B SST2, then I might consider the B135 integrated amplifier as well since it's power amplifier section seems to be the same as the one used in 2.5B SST2. With the B135, I would have a preamplifier as well and could dedicate the BHA-1 to headphone use only.

However, if your recommendation is the 3B SST2, I would have to buy a preamplifier as well, possibly the BP-17.

The ATC SCM11 and SCM19 have a sensitivity of 85 dB/W/m and the Usher has a slightly higher sensitivity of 87 dB/W/m. However, these are substantial monitor speakers with magnet assemblies that are as large as the diaphragms themselves and I cannot say they are very sensitive at all.

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers!
Antun
I would go with the active at any time. :thumb:

jimdgoulding

Hi!

Which active monitors are you using and how big is your listening room?

Cheers!
Antun
I'm using Meridian M20's on top of Atacama sand filled column stands.  They are two-way 3 driver speakers.  They even have equalization rocker switches on the back.  My room is 12x15x8' and, yes, they fill in my room's front end with music impressively.

R. Daneel

Hi fellas!

So everyone here is suggesting the active solution for the ATC? That's interestng!

I have a bit of a problem with that. First, if a component fails - be it in the speaker or the amplifier, you have to send everything in and you virtually use your entire system. Second, I have often noticed that power amplifiers inside are crude and use iron core transformers instead of toroidal ones. Third, the cost of ATC active systems is very high and you're looking at 100% higher price if you decide to add a "power pack" and this will usually get you a very high quality separate power amplifier.

That said, there could also be advatages to active speaker systems. I don't know if ATC uses active crossover network or not. You fellas could help me here a bit but from my understanding, an active crossover network splits the signal in-between the preamplifier and the power amplifier so that each speaker driver is driven by it's dedicated power amplifier. Is this true for ATC active speakers and does this bring audible benefits to the table?

Cheers!
Antun

jimdgoulding

I tend to agree with you about not having any flexibility on the power amp(s).  If I had passive speakers I would insert a tube power amp.  As it is, I can use only a tube pre.  But, an audition should tell you of the advantages assuming there are some.  I would insist that there be separate amps with an active crossover.  Cheers

neekomax

Have you ever considering creating your own active system using a home computer as the DSP crossover and whatever speakers you like?  I think it might be a super fun way to go active.

Why pay all that money for a cruise when you can go have an adventure?  :P

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132775.msg1408013#msg1408013

R. Daneel

Have you ever considering creating your own active system using a home computer as the DSP crossover and whatever speakers you like?  I think it might be a super fun way to go active.

Why pay all that money for a cruise when you can go have an adventure?  :P

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132775.msg1408013#msg1408013

Hi!

I have considered that actually. But my intention was to eliminate the computer completely and this would take me in the opposite direction. That is why I own a BDP-1 digital player. It does everything a computer does, except that it has audibly higher audio quality and an elegant interface. Computers are unrealiable and I spend 12 hours a day working on one so I really don't want to use them when I listen to music.

Cheers!
Antun

Freo-1

Hi folks!

- 2.5B SST2
- 3B SST2

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers!
Antun

First, I would recommend the SCM-19, as it is a major step up from the SCM-11. 

Second, I would consider a McIntosh setup with autoformers along with Bryston with the SCM-19's.  I've tried a McIntosh MX-119, MC-150 combo, and the sonic results are very impressive indeed.   The SCM-19's also sound stellar with tube amps of 80 watts or more.