Adding a battery charger to bugle build, anyone get this working already?

orpheus

I am planning on building a new bugle as a gift for a friend, and I was thinking that the best power solution might be 9 volt batteries, and a battery charger that is active when the bugle is turned off.  Has anyone implemented anything like this?  Of course it might be better to build something more straightforward as a gift since my friend will be unable to diagnose future potential problems, but if it was simple enough, I think that this implementation could be reliable.

I haven't thought too much about how I would work it out yet, just curious if anyone already has done this and might have suggestions.  I tried searching this circle, but didn't find a post about this.

Thank you for your time,
Aaron.

GRD

I remember some people posting that 15v sounded better than the 9v (more headroom?).  And you may be opening a can of worms when the simplest solution may be just to go with Jim's power supply for the Bugle.  Which is 15v.  So - something to consider.   

poty

The modification is very easy. The Bugle has "On-Off" switch. In "Off" position the switch connects the batteries to unused contacts of the switch. You can connect a battery charger to the unused contacts and that's all. In "On" position the batteries discharge and make the Bugle working. In "Off" position the batteries are connected to the battery charger and charge.
You can consider a simple automatic charger from the nearest electronic shop or make it by himself. The easiest way is to use a regulator in constant current mode with an easy circuit to disconnect after charging.

orpheus

My thanks to both of you.  I thought about it, and although I might try it for my own bugle, I think the one that I build as a gift should have a more bulletproof built, and I will use the hagerman supply, esp. since I already have a spare board from when I built mine years ago. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate your sharing your experience.

Aaron.