Add a phase switch to the Cornet2?

wdi

• know just enough to be dangerous
Add a phase switch to the Cornet2?
« on: 16 Jun 2010, 07:52 pm »
Has anyone here added a phase switch to their Cornet2? I see that the switch used in the C2 for mono is used in the Chime for phase, so if I add another switch to my C2 can it be wired for phase while retaining the existing switch for mono?

poty

Re: Add a phase switch to the Cornet2?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2010, 11:59 am »
The switch in Chime controls internal circuits of the HagDac for rotating phase. In the Cornet you do not have such circuits, so you'll need some additional stages for that I think.

wdi

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2010, 04:52 pm »
Thanks Poty for your response. After giving this more thought, I think that a phase switch could be added just after the inputs by using a 4 pole switch. The downside to this is that the switch would always be in the signal path. Maybe it would be better to just swap the headshell leads at the cartridge for the occasional out of phase record.

poty

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2010, 08:31 pm »
The main problem is unbalanced input, which prevents you to add the switch. 4-pole switch in one position will connect shields of cables to non-grounded pins of the inputs, so you will have big hum.
If there is the need for rotating phase, you can build a simple stage and connect it between the output of Cornet 2 and the input of the following preamp. The level of signal is much more in that case and the switch has less impact.

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2010, 07:11 am »
Probably best way to add phase selection would be to use 1:1 transformers on the output and add a switch.

jh

wdi

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2010, 09:27 pm »
OK, after looking at the Trumpet and seeing a switch labeled "Polarity" I am wondering if I have my terminology mixed up. I can never remember the difference between polarity and phase.

All I am wanting is a switch that will accomplish the same thing as swapping the +/- leads at the cartridge; but maybe it's not worth adding another device into the signal path.

poty

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2010, 12:45 pm »
the difference between polarity and phase
polarity = 180 grad of phase
 :D

Tone Deaf

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2010, 08:04 pm »
I was reading about the Broskie Cathode Follower on www.tubecad.com the other week.  John Broskie explains how it can be configured as a switched phase inverter.  It has a small insertion loss so it is probably best added after your line stage rather than after Cornet, but may be of interest to you.  The PCB is pretty cheap.

Brinkman

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2010, 11:52 pm »
I think Jim Hagerman is correct.

A 1:1 phase inverting transformer with a bypass switch would be easier than the undertaking of parts shopping, assembly and (possible) troubleshooting.

Electra-Print could easily wind a custom transformer at a reasonable price with excellent bandwidth.

But only you know how big a project you would like to undertake.