bugle

Bizzie

bugle
« on: 9 Jan 2006, 10:25 am »
Hi Jim
I've just bought the bugle pro half kit from you and when I ordered parts from digikey the voltage regulator part #NJM78M15FA is now deleted, I should be able to source one locally but there seems to be different versions am I right in thinking that a 1 amp version is what I need.

Also the fuse part #F963-ND is only available in quantities of 500 so I will also need to get one of those locally and up to now can only find 50ma or 100ma would either of these do or do I need to wait until I have a big enough order so that I can order some from RS components who do stock them.

Thanks for the speedy delivery I have waited longer for things ordered locally. I'm in the UK by the way.

Regards Alec

hagtech

bugle
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2006, 09:19 pm »
Shortages strick again...

For a fuse, try the F965-ND.

Regulator MC78M15CTOS-ND.

DigiKey has a great search engine.  For alternate parts you can find many choices.  You can start with "regulator" and then narrow it down to linear regulators.  Then you get selection fields and you only fill in the ones that matter: 15V, TO-220, etc.  Result is a listing of all available choices and quantity in stock.  I did the same to find a fuse.  Typed in "fuse", then narrow it down, then set fields (I chose a range of currents), slo-blo, 5x20), and bingo!

jh :)

jcmjrt

bugle
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2006, 09:26 pm »
I just tried placing an order at digikey for the same kit - Bugle Pro Phono Preamp Kit - and am having the same problems. The local radioshack here doesn't stock crap so I'm hoping there are alternative parts available from digikey. I'm holding the placing the order until I hear from you. In addition:
-The part numbers on your list are reversed for red and black RCA jacks. the 1412 is black according to digikey. Now for my question - am I supposed to have 2 red jacks and 4 black jacks or am I supposed to have two cp-1412-NDs and 4 cp-1413-NDs?
-For item 1903ck-nd, standoff, you have order 8 and now the minimum order is 10. Not a big deal but thought you might want to keep up corrections.  
-I was wondering about Q120-ND the power cord. It's 10.11. Is there something special about this power cord or can I just pull one off an old computer and use it or...??
Sorry if my questions are "simple" but I ordered a kit because I'm able to solder and follow easy directions and that's about the extent of my electronics knowledge. Thanks.

Bizzie

bugle
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2006, 09:35 am »
Hi Jim
Perhaps I didn't make it clear I have already received the rest of the parts from digikey and it would cost too much for postage for a small order but while I searched for an alternative locally I found that there is at least three different 7815 regs 500mA, 1A and 3A I have presumed that 3A is way over the top but wasn't sure if it mattered if I use 500mA or 1A I can get the 1A version easier, I have now managed to get some fuses so its just the volt reg that I need now.

Thanks Alec

hagtech

bugle
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2006, 06:11 pm »
I have presumed that 3A

Actually, the current rating isn't going to matter.  The transformer will fold back before the regulator does anyway.  It's nice to have the current limit to handle short circuits and other faults.  None of this matters for normal operation.  Only for fault conditions.  And even then, the current rating on the regulator isn't that important.  Both will work.  I merely specified the better of the two.

So go ahead and stick in any 7815 TO-220 type regulator you can find.  It will work.

4 black RCA

Ok, I know this seems wierd.  You need 2 red and 2 black for inputs and outputs.  Then, I recommend buying 2 more (either color), because the ground solder ring is "borrowed" from the jack and used for the MONO switch and GND lug.  It was the poor man's way to get the right sized ring.  

Q120-ND the power cord

You can use any power cord.  I selected this one because it has an extra level of braid/foil shielding surrounding the conductors.  This helps to prevent hum pickup from the cord.

jh :wink:

jcmjrt

bugle
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2006, 06:28 pm »
Thanks for the alternate ordering info. The shielding on the cord made sense to me but the cord is back ordered. I see that there is one other cord that has shielding (that I could find) q119-nd. It has a different end on it so I was wondering if it would work right with this....or if you had a different recommendation? Thanks.