12AU7/ECC82 replacement tubes for...

JCarney

« on: 19 Nov 2005, 09:06 pm »
...a Hagermen Trumpet. Any suggestions? I'm looking at either Mullard 50's longplates, or possibly Mullard 60's short plates. Any other ideas, experiences are welcome. My system includes Dali Grand's, IRD Purist linestage, Carver ZR1600, Galibier Designs Gavia table with Morch DP-6, and a ZYX Airy3X-SB LO. I like a bit of warmth, but detail and clarity are most important to me.

Thanks in advance,
JCarney

toobluvr

Re: 12AU7/ECC82 replacement tubes for...
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2005, 01:21 am »
Quote from: JCarney
...a Hagermen Trumpet. Any suggestions? I'm looking at either Mullard 50's longplates, or possibly Mullard 60's short plates. Any other ideas, experiences are welcome. My system includes Dali Grand's, IRD Purist linestage, Carver ZR1600, Galibier Designs Gavia table with Morch DP-6, and a ZYX Airy3X-SB LO. I like a bit of warmth, but detail and clarity are most important to me.

Over the years, I've listened to many, many 12au7 tubes.  One of my absolute favorites is late 50's CBS-Hytron D getter 5814A.  Deep, rich, warm and musical, while still delivering clarity and transparency in a very natural and non-analytical way.  Just a wonderful tube to listen to!  Kindof scarce, but if you come upon some, I say snatch them up!  Or get in touch with me and I will!   ':D'

Of course, depending on your application, and overall voicing of your system, your preference might be different.  Why not get a bunch and have some fun?  That's what I did.  I too prefer a bit of warmth and fullness w/o giving up too much clarity.  In general, I prefer Mullard to the other European NOS.  Some old 1955-1965 RCA 5814 black plate, double and triple mica D getters can be quite nice in the right circuit.  For reasonable money, lots of people like RCA clear tops.  But I find them a bit lean overall, and insistent on top.

This guy "Robert H" on tubeasylum appears to be extremely knowledgable about this tube type.  I have tried many of his faves and I find that my tastes and experiences fall in line with his.  Do a search on his name...tons there to keep you busy.  In my experience, he is spot-on in his descriptions  of each tubes sound and characteristics.

Happy rolling!

steve k

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2005, 01:42 am »
Another good source of information on NOS 12AU7's and their various signature sounds is "Joe's Tube Lore" on audioasylum/tubes/FAQ. I've found his description of the dozen or so types I've tried to be quite accurate in my system.
steve k