Cable Modem Recommendation Please

Doublej

Cable Modem Recommendation Please
« on: 19 Oct 2019, 07:12 pm »
Tired of paying $10 a month to RCN for a cable modem. What do folks recommend? They all seem to get mixed reviews. Leading contender was the Motorola MB7621-10 24x8 but it has a 16% one star rating on Amazon.

What's odd to me is that even for 30 Meg internet they recommend a 24 channel modem but the Arris I am renting is only 8 channel.  :scratch:

avta

Re: Cable Modem Recommendation Please
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2019, 10:32 pm »
I’ve had good experience with Aris modems. You can get the 6190 model for under$100 and it will give you all the download speed you’re likely to ever need.

bacobits1

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2019, 11:16 pm »
I have the Aris 6190 modem is very good. Don't pay rental fees.
The Eero router 3 piece I have has been flawless here. Recommended!

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2019, 11:32 pm »
I have used an Aris for over two years with no glitches. It is a more expensive model because it also has a landline phone modem. Compatible with Comcast. I bought mine at Best Buy to save the monthly fee.

RPM123

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2019, 01:20 am »
You don't need a modem or a router if you get a Linksys Velop Tri-Band (AC2200), plus a Netgear 8 port (they also come with more ports) Gigabit Unmanaged Switch (GS308). The Velop esatablishes a mesh network. My ISP (Sonic) told me that I could return their modem/router now that I have the new setup. I run an ethernet cable directly to one of my Velop nodes and from there, I have a cable connecting the node to the Netgear switch. I also have an iMac and backup Synology 2 Bay NAS Disk Station connected to the Netgear switch. My internet speed has improved quite a bit without using the modem/router.

I can now return the modem and save the $9.50/month rental fee.  :D

GentleBender

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2019, 01:17 pm »
Make sure the modem you get is compatible and supported by your provider. I had to send one back after buying it based on the product description saying it was compatible on Amazon, it was an easy return since I tested it right away.

randytsuch

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2019, 02:44 pm »
A few years ago I upgraded to a Motorola SB6121.  Its an older model, but more than fast enough to keep up with my cable speeds.

You may not need the latest and fastest, depends on what rates you are getting, which probably depends on how much you are paying.

I've found the Motorola modems to be very reliable, this is my 2nd motorola, had the first one for over 10 years.

Randy