Hey! What's this "Exotica"?

TJHUB

Re: Hey! What's this "Exotica"?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Apr 2014, 08:40 pm »
Looks great!

Are there passive radiators on the sides like the SS8?

I am wondering what they look like from a side view. It looks like a grill on the sides but hard to tell from the pictures.

It's a sealed design, so no passive radiators.  The sides are just decorative. 

TJHUB

« Reply #21 on: 28 Apr 2014, 08:45 pm »
This is a speaker I have hoped for that I can truly connect with. Some may not, but for me, and my wife, this is a speaker I really want.

Sure Pete...I understand.  It's a way for you to finally come to terms with subwoofers for music.  This way you can say they're not "subwoofers" because they have a speaker built on top of them.  :wink: :P

Austin08

« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2014, 09:02 pm »
This is a speaker I have hoped for that I can truly connect with. Some may not, but for me, and my wife, this is a speaker I really want.

"Salling the EXOTICA ship of dream" now..... :lol:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2014, 09:18 pm »
Looks great!

Are there passive radiators on the sides like the SS8?

I am wondering what they look like from a side view. It looks like a grill on the sides but hard to tell from the pictures.

As TJHUB mentioned, there are no passive radiators. I didn't ask Jim specifically, but I my take is they are extra 3/4" contoured slabs of MDF to better control resonance.

Of course, we could ask Jim....

Big Red Machine

« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2014, 09:25 pm »
I know the answer. Pay up.  :x

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2014, 09:41 pm »
I know the answer. Pay up.  :x
When does your new pair arrive?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2014, 10:16 pm »
How good are the Exotica Threes?  I ordered a pair.

Frank Van Alstine

Q3Di

« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2014, 11:04 pm »
Exotica III look great! I wish to see these puppies at the upcoming CAF.

Nuance

« Reply #28 on: 28 Apr 2014, 11:38 pm »
They look great, Jim.  Congrats to you and your team on another winner! 

jsalk

« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2014, 02:22 pm »
need more information... must have... now!!! lol

can't wait to get the scoop on these.

I'll start a new thread on this one since there may be quite a few comments.  Stay tuned.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2014, 02:24 pm »
In the close-up picture over at the AVA circle you can see the Salk name badge. Sure does look like a Salkstreamer with a built in CD drive, with an external PSU of some sort. Someone PLEASE spill the beans on this...

Cornelis

I have been working on a new StreamPlayer design and just used this case to hold things for the show.  We expect to have a new design up and running in about 2 months or so. The actual case will be smaller and will not have a built-in drive (no need for it).  I'll post more info on it when the time comes.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #31 on: 29 Apr 2014, 02:28 pm »
I am also curious why you brought the domed version of the SongTowers.  Did the RT version give too much competition to the Exotica?   :scratch:

Bob

Bob -

I decided to bring a stock pair of SongTowers (with an upgraded automotive finish) with the standard OW2 tweeter.  We have introduced so many ribbon-based models that I think people forget how great the standard SongTowers perform.  So I thought it would be good to highlight our base SongTower as a reminder of how good these speakers really are. 

On a number of occasions, people came into the room and figured we were playing our new Exotica 3's.  They were very surprised to learn they were listening to the SongTowers!

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2014, 02:38 pm »
I'd also like to take just a moment to thank everyone who stopped by at AXPONA.  We had a great time and received extremely positive feedback on the new EXOTICA 3's.  Frank had all updated AVA gear (thanks for the new gear Frank) and the combination was exquisite to say the least. 

It was standing room only for most of the week-end. We met up with a lot of old friends and and made quite a few new ones.  My personal observation was that this was probably our most successful show ever. So thanks to everyone for making it such a great event for us.  Much appreciated.

- Jim

strateahed

« Reply #33 on: 29 Apr 2014, 10:21 pm »
Jim,

Congrats on the success of the show ... for both you and Frank. Questions: are you planning on coming back out to the Coast for the Cal Audio Show again? And will you be bringing basically the same set-up that you had at AXPONA? If so, I'll be looking forward to it.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #34 on: 30 Apr 2014, 12:39 am »
Sure Pete...I understand.  It's a way for you to finally come to terms with subwoofers for music.  This way you can say they're not "subwoofers" because they have a speaker built on top of them.  :wink: :P

Yes, because I cannot be a blasphemer. :lol:

Mudslide

« Reply #35 on: 30 Apr 2014, 03:54 am »
My personal observation was that this was probably our most successful show ever. So thanks to everyone for making it such a great event for us.  Much appreciated.

- Jim

More successful than our Oregon show?!   :bomb:  Hahaaa...J/K, Jim.  Congrats on the show and the apparently great Exotica unveiling.  I wish I could have been there.   :thumb:

RJ

jsalk

« Reply #36 on: 30 Apr 2014, 04:53 pm »
Jim,

Congrats on the success of the show ... for both you and Frank. Questions: are you planning on coming back out to the Coast for the Cal Audio Show again? And will you be bringing basically the same set-up that you had at AXPONA? If so, I'll be looking forward to it.

We usually do the CA Audio Show every other year.  We did it last year and will not be attending this year.  As for next year, we may do Newport instead.  No decisions have been made at this point.

- Jim

OgOgilby

« Reply #37 on: 3 May 2014, 12:37 pm »
Yes, because I cannot be a blasphemer. :lol:

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it's a duck!

Pete, I never thought I would see you fall in love with speakers mated with powered subwoofers, but that day has come. The horror...

Those Exoticas must be pretty impressive for you to turn to the "dark side".  :lol:

-Greg

sfox7076

« Reply #38 on: 3 May 2014, 02:24 pm »
We need a show in NYC that you will come to.  I really would love to hear the Exoticas.  I can dream.... 

strat95

« Reply #39 on: 3 May 2014, 02:44 pm »
How good are the Exotica Threes?  I ordered a pair.

Frank Van Alstine

Frank,

I'm sure they are fantastic speakers and you will surely enjoy them.  Will you be using them to evaluate your electronics and to help design better components?  If yes won't the active woofers mean that you will not be getting the whole picture of what your amps are doing?

Regards,

TV