Cookware Recommendation

srb

Re: Cookware Recommendation
« Reply #20 on: 27 Mar 2019, 08:11 pm »
When I provided the link above, I was a little surprised by the cladding over aluminum.  I could swear mine are clad over copper.  But then I'm older than the Great Wall....

The flat edge on the rim of the All-Clad pans is not plated or rolled, so it's easy to see the individual layers of the core metal + inside/outside cladding.  If yours had a copper core, it would be visible on that edge.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 28 Mar 2019, 05:59 pm »
This is what the copper core looks like:

decal

« Reply #22 on: 28 Mar 2019, 08:24 pm »
Enameled cast iron is all I use.

murphy11

« Reply #23 on: 28 Mar 2019, 09:25 pm »
Tramontina stainless was highly rated in the affordable category about 5 years ago when I bought my set. Feel like I got a great deal for good quality - still happy years later.

Mudslide

« Reply #24 on: 28 Mar 2019, 10:27 pm »

Thanks, Tyson.  I checked ours and they appear to be aluminum core.  When did you buy your set?  Ours were purchased almost 20 years ago.  Do you know...when did the copper come out/go away?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #25 on: 28 Mar 2019, 11:07 pm »

I have one of their 10" Copper core skillets that I picked up about 10 years ago at a Factory Outlet (I have no clue what the "Blemish" was - they were on sale and I got to pick it out). Was pricey, but I absolutely love it. Polishes up to "almost new" if I want to put the effort into it.

Firm believer in "Mis-matched" Cookware. I have Le Cruset enameled CI, Lodge CI, All-Clad, and some old Revereware that I inherited from my Mother (Copper bottom that still polishes up and is probably 40+ years old).

Each has a task that it performs better than the others.

Doublej

« Reply #26 on: 29 Mar 2019, 12:44 am »
I have one of their 10" Copper core skillets that I picked up about 10 years ago at a Factory Outlet (I have no clue what the "Blemish" was - they were on sale and I got to pick it out). Was pricey, but I absolutely love it. Polishes up to "almost new" if I want to put the effort into it.

Firm believer in "Mis-matched" Cookware. I have Le Cruset enameled CI, Lodge CI, All-Clad, and some old Revereware that I inherited from my Mother (Copper bottom that still polishes up and is probably 40+ years old).

Each has a task that it performs better than the others.

What's the task of the Revere Ware? My mother has a full set that is 50+ years old.

srb

« Reply #27 on: 29 Mar 2019, 12:59 am »
Revere Ware is a bit too thin to spread heat very evenly.

Fine for heating liquids, but sketchy for searing and browning, particularly on a gas burner.

skunark

« Reply #28 on: 29 Mar 2019, 02:45 am »
All-clad copper core lids rust spots, purchased about ten years ago. 

Again, just the pot is usa made now, the lids are not. 

Pots are great pans, just a huge disappointment with the lids.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2019, 05:27 am by skunark »

Tyson

« Reply #29 on: 29 Mar 2019, 02:58 am »
Thanks, Tyson.  I checked ours and they appear to be aluminum core.  When did you buy your set?  Ours were purchased almost 20 years ago.  Do you know...when did the copper come out/go away?

Oh I have always had just the steel clad, not the copper clad.  Works plenty well for me.  The copper looks cool but the differences in performance are negligible. 

Now, on the other hand, my parents sold their farm recently and are likely to hand down some pure copper pots and pans to me that they bought in Spain 45 years ago, I have no doubt those will be better than my stainless All Clad. 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #30 on: 29 Mar 2019, 04:50 pm »
Ha, I knew I could count on y'all to further confuse me! But only for a while.

For me the attraction to a "set" is, ah, well, simpllicity and seemingly a better deal to be had. Admittedly, the visual matching component was probably in play, too.

It occurs to me that I wouldn't apply the same thought process to, say, woodworking tools. All flavors of tools in my arsenal. No siingle manufacturer captures all my tool money, why would I do that with cooking tools?

So, I'm gonna do it piecemeal and get tools best suited for tasks, methinks.  A bit at a time. I really do love well made stuff and have to say, the All Clad gear looks like it checks many of my "good stuff" boxes. Those fry pans, they look so...purposeful! Ahh, there I go, letting the emotional component in...

Thanks for the reality check. I'm on a new path now.

Tyson

« Reply #31 on: 29 Mar 2019, 05:36 pm »
All Clad also has a lifetime warrantee and if you run into issues they will replace any problems, free of charge.

Early B.

« Reply #32 on: 29 Mar 2019, 06:22 pm »
You gotta add some All Clad in your arsenal. However, if you don't want to spend All Clad money, then consider Cuisinart Multiclad. I have a mixture of the two brands, plus a Le Creuset enameled cast iron pot and a couple of copper pots. All of them work great. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #33 on: 29 Mar 2019, 07:53 pm »
What's the task of the Revere Ware? My mother has a full set that is 50+ years old.
They are my “Everyday” Pots - good for heating up liquids, soups, etc. Take a beating and still clean up if you put the effort in. I’ve burned stuff in them upon occasion through the years, but you wouldn’t know it. Dishwasher safe (I’d NEVER do that to my good stuff). Have a big “Stock” pot with colander insert that I use for a bunch of stuff - noodles etc.

Plus it carries many, many memories. It’s what I learned to cook on in my Mother’s kitchen.

datman

« Reply #34 on: 29 Mar 2019, 09:46 pm »
I can recommend Aus-Ion steel pans from Solidteknics. They are not too heavy, distribute heat VERY well and brown and sear like nothing else. Since they are iron, they develop seasoning making them largely non stick.

Solidteknics:

http://www.solidteknics.com/ion

sunnydaze

« Reply #35 on: 29 Mar 2019, 10:19 pm »
new direct  from manufacturer - Missen.  I replaced everything with these.  Allclad quality and fraction of price.

John.

Thanks for the heads-up on this.  Unfamiliar to me but it looks very interesting, and the reviews are great.   :thumb:

https://www.misen.co/products/misen-cookware-sets?variant=47525341772

For the past 20 yrs I've cooked almost everyday on my "Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized Aluminum" set, and it's still going strong.  It's not non-stick, made specifically for searing and deglazing.  Ruggedly built in America, cooks evenly, cleans up well, and reasonably priced. 

I have no experience with the premium sets discussed here, but I have absolutely no complaints and would recommend it to anyone who perhaps wants reliable quality at a lower price than All-Clad.

EDIT:  a quick online search suggests that this original set is no longer available.  Non-stick version is, but I would stay away from that. 

http://www.calphalon.com/en-US/commercial-hard-anodized/calphalon-commercial-nonstick-13-piece-cookware-set-ca-1849156--1

My set looks identical, except my lids are metal not glass, and the interior is not Non-Stick.

When it comes time to replace it, I'll definitely look into the Misen.

Tyson

« Reply #36 on: 29 Mar 2019, 10:31 pm »
The Misen pots/pans look nice.  Personally I'm a big fan of a complete matching set because of aesthetics.  But then, I'm weird like that.  On the other hand, my pots/pans look kinda mean on my pot rack and I love that :D

SoCalWJS

« Reply #37 on: 29 Mar 2019, 11:33 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up on this.  Unfamiliar to me but it looks very interesting, and the reviews are great.   :thumb:

https://www.misen.co/products/misen-cookware-sets?variant=47525341772

For the past 20 yrs I've cooked almost everyday on my "Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized Aluminum" set, and it's still going strong.  It's not non-stick, made specifically for searing and deglazing.  Ruggedly built in America, cooks evenly, cleans up well, and reasonably priced. 

I have no experience with the premium sets discussed here, but I have absolutely no complaints and would recommend it to anyone who perhaps wants reliable quality at a lower price than All-Clad.

EDIT:  a quick online search suggests that this original set is no longer available.  Non-stick version is, but I would stay away from that. 

http://www.calphalon.com/en-US/commercial-hard-anodized/calphalon-commercial-nonstick-13-piece-cookware-set-ca-1849156--1

My set looks identical, except my lids are metal not glass, and the interior is not Non-Stick.

When it comes time to replace it, I'll definitely look into the Misen.
I just got a 12” Skillet and 8” Chef’s Knife from Misen this week. I did a quick test of the Skillet and I would say that my initial impression is that it is similar to my All Clad, but we’ll have to see how it hold’s up long term. I will say that the knife is sharp.

sunnydaze

« Reply #38 on: 30 Mar 2019, 03:17 pm »
If the OP insists on non-stick, and if it is as ruggedly built in America as my 20 yr old set of Commercial Anodized (not non-stick), I'd say that for the $$ you can't go wrong with this set:

https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Cookware-Commercial-Nonstick-Pieces/dp/B00IZMFBZ4/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=176948566703&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1023102&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=15700253365599227139&hvtargid=kwd-334390270&keywords=calphalon+commercial+hard&qid=1553958461&s=home-garden&sr=1-4

Commercial grade means it's built to stand up to some abuse.  Mine has! 
Mine is made in Toledo, Ohio -- home of Corporal Klinger.     :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2019, 05:51 pm by sunnydaze »

RPM123

« Reply #39 on: 30 Mar 2019, 03:34 pm »
My wife and I like "Chantal" cookware.

https://www.chantal.com/cookware/