SE45's & Wedgies

mkane

SE45's & Wedgies
« on: 8 Feb 2020, 12:45 am »
 This sounds real nice. I'm going to guess 80dbl is out listening level. EML 45's & Electra Print iron. I'm glad I tried this combination. I need to sit back and listen for a few day but so far we like what were hearing. Were strictly analog in this house.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: SE45's & Wedgies
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2020, 12:57 am »
Nice!  Yes that's my experience too.  The planars in Danny's speakers LOVE tubes.  And SET tubes in particular.

Beautiful amp, BTW.

Edit - oops, just realized the Wedgie has cone midrange drivers, so ignore my first sentence....
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2020, 02:19 am by Tyson »

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2020, 02:07 am »
+1.  My Bottlehead Kaiju (300b) and the wedgies make a very nice pairing.  I also liked the Stereomour (2A3) with the Wedgies, very nice as well.

Best,
Ed

mkane

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2020, 03:13 am »
 Up close and personal

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2020, 04:41 am »
Up close and personal
I’m not certain if that was directed at me, but if it is...

The 2A3:

Best,
Ed

mkane

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2020, 03:35 pm »
 Good stuff Ed. Bottlehead gear got me started on the SE path. I also like your seating position, up close & personal. Thats how I listen when home alone.

mkane

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2020, 03:42 pm »
 Amps drive to Super Minis also but not with authority.

bsnguy

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2020, 05:17 pm »

For the last couple of years, I’ve been using my copy of Thomas Mayer’s 6CB5A amp with original Wedgies. I think they’re a beautiful sounding combination. Although the 6CB5A is not a DHT, it’s the first single-ended amp I’ve ever had at home. By the time summer gets here, I hope to have finished a 10Y preamp to try with all this.

I usually blame a late 1990s Bottlehead Foreplay kit for sending me down the diy road…

mkane

« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2020, 12:37 am »
Good stuff & point to point.

ccomplete

« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2020, 02:35 am »
My kind of people in this thread! Don’t have wedgies but here are my Super Vs with 2W SE 2a3 I made. It drives them perfectly to huge levels in my smallish room!

Close up, don’t mind the glue and hanging wires. Prototyping  8)
Lundahl and tango transformers, duelund and asc caps!

Ed, I also plan to use the Super V as the sub platform in my room temporarily when I pull the trigger on some nx-otica soon. Are they working pretty well for you used this way?

Charles Henry
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2020, 03:57 am by ccomplete »

ebag4

« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2020, 03:33 am »

Ed, I also plan to use the Super V as the sub platform in my room temporarily when I pull the trigger on some nx-ottica soon. Are they working pretty well for you used this way?

Charles Henry

Hi Charles, yes, I had no issue using the V1 sub section with the Wedgies, worked out well.  My son now has my V1s  I am currently running Danny’s MTM Oticas with the servo subs underneath.  Very nice speaker.

Best,
Ed

ccomplete

« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2020, 10:16 pm »
This sounds real nice. I'm going to guess 80dbl is out listening level. EML 45's & Electra Print iron. I'm glad I tried this combination. I need to sit back and listen for a few day but so far we like what were hearing. Were strictly analog in this house.

That’s a nice little amp. Did you try any other tubes before the EMLs? How do they compare? I’ve been thinking of trying the EML mesh 45 or 2a3 but haven’t taken the plunge. Currently using JJ 2a3 running close to 45 spec.. this was sooo much better sounding than any other 2a3 I tried.

mkane

« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2020, 10:39 pm »
The ELL's are like a JJ of sorts, souped up a bit. Soundwise, no indifferent. I get a bit more volume's about it. If you don't need more volume, save your $$$$

morganc

« Reply #13 on: 7 Oct 2021, 02:28 pm »
Hey guys….reviving an old thread.  How do the wedgies on top of dual servos sound compared to some of the newer kits?  Does anyone have any direct experience hearing them all? 

mkane

« Reply #14 on: 9 Oct 2021, 09:56 pm »

Haven't heard a newer kit.